GOP poll shows Dems have advantage on key issues

wimpy77

Jan 21, 2009
WASHINGTON (AP) - Republicans are widely viewed by the public as less competent than Democrats to handle issue ranging from health care to education and energy, according to internal polling presented to top GOP officials in Congress.

The same survey found President Barack Obama holds the support of a significant minority of self-described conservative, independent voters.

The Associated Press obtained partial results of the survey, which was conducted in late March by New Models, a firm with close ties to Republicans. GOP lawmakers in Congress have generally opposed Obama's early legislative agenda, voting with near unanimity against economic stimulus legislation and unanimously against a White House-backed budget that cleared Congress on Wednesday.

The survey found the public holds greater confidence in Democrats than in Republicans in handling most of the issues that are involved in Obama's legislative agenda.

Democrats were favored by a margin of 61 percent to 29 percent on education; 59 percent to 30 percent on health care and 59 percent to 31 percent on energy. Congress is expected to consider major legislation later this year in all three areas.

Democats were also viewed with more confidence in handling taxes, long a Republican strong suit. The only issue among nine in the survey where the two parties were rated as even was in the war on terror.

The survey found Obama's job approval at 62 percent, in line with other recent polls. Moderate Republicans disapproved of his job performance by a relatively narrow margin of 44-39 percent, and self-described conservative independents by a somewhat larger margin of 51-36 percent. Conservative Republicans overwhelmingly disapproved, 75-18.

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/04/29/2752307-gop-poll-shows-dems-have-advantage-on-key-issues

Last edited:
WASHINGTON (AP) - Republicans are widely viewed by the public as less competent than Democrats to handle issue ranging from health care to education and energy, according to internal polling presented to top GOP officials in Congress.

The same survey found President Barack Obama holds the support of a significant minority of self-described conservative, independent voters.

The Associated Press obtained partial results of the survey, which was conducted in late March by New Models, a firm with close ties to Republicans. GOP lawmakers in Congress have generally opposed Obama's early legislative agenda, voting with near unanimity against economic stimulus legislation and unanimously against a White House-backed budget that cleared Congress on Wednesday.

The survey found the public holds greater confidence in Democrats than in Republicans in handling most of the issues that are involved in Obama's legislative agenda.

Democrats were favored by a margin of 61 percent to 29 percent on education; 59 percent to 30 percent on health care and 59 percent to 31 percent on energy. Congress is expected to consider major legislation later this year in all three areas.

Democats were also viewed with more confidence in handling taxes, long a Republican strong suit. The only issue among nine in the survey where the two parties were rated as even was in the war on terror.

The survey found Obama's job approval at 62 percent, in line with other recent polls. Moderate Republicans disapproved of his job performance by a relatively narrow margin of 44-39 percent, and self-described conservative independents by a somewhat larger margin of 51-36 percent. Conservative Republicans overwhelmingly disapproved, 75-18.

The GOP has a lot of problems in that its policies are widely viewed as causing the economic mess and the huge debt.

That is why the Murdoch outlets are doing their best to talk down the economy and destroy confidence. If they can keep the recession going, they'll be a good position to recoup losses in 2010. If the economy is rebouding nicely, they are toast. They know it.

That is why the Murdoch outlets are doing their best to talk down the economy and destroy confidence.
That is absolutely rediculous.

FOX news does just as well with dems as GoP in charge, they are not a wing of the GoP as a number of idiots have tried to claim. :lol:

Democwats cannot stand it that Fox's ratings are higher than all the msnbc, and cnn's combined.. it makes them say really really dishonest things.. but we just smile and nod.. don't we? cause we know from what they say they have heavily partaken of the juice errrrr kool-aid,,

That is why the Murdoch outlets are doing their best to talk down the economy and destroy confidence.

FOX news does just as well with dems as GoP in charge, they are not a wing of the GoP as a number of idiots have tried to claim. :lol:

It's just a startling coincidence that just about everything I'm watching or listening to it someone is cracking on Obama and the Dems

gop policies caused the economic mess....good lord the libs are brainwashed

no matter how many times you tell them the truth, it does not matter, they believe the MSM...

It's just a startling coincidence that just about everything I'm watching or listening to it someone is cracking on Obama and the Dems
When do you have the time with that 64 posts a day average you have here?

Best question all day.

No doubt, non stop from 8:00am til Midnight. Must spread the Oblah blah message. Just like Sealy and Chris/Kirk.

I have an advantage here. As an independent who kind of came into the political arena a proverbial "blank slate", I started out watching NBC, but gave it up after a week when I saw they were pandering to Obama and harping on every out of place nose hair on the Republicans. It was blatant, and they are a joke of a news agency to me. I then migrated to CNN, then Fox News. I now currently watch both half and half as I feel that gives me a good balanced picture of the news.

I think CNN leans slightly left in their presentation, and Fox slightly right (not extremely right as many liberals seem to claim). To me, CNN has several pretty neutral characters who do an excellent job, but seem to carry more liberals than democrats on a daily basis for opinion. This could reflect current American sentiment, but somehow I doubt it.

Fox definitely has a right leaning element, but unlike NBC, they are out front about, and make efforts to see the other side of the discussion. I have actually seen fox guys have their mind changed on issues during interviews with the other side, and that to me is pretty telling. I do think fox hurts themselves with guys like beck and hannity, who are entertaining to watch, but seem like they are trying far to hard to criticize every little thing, which I think is petty, and undermines their goal. On the other hand, I'm not sure if they do the same thing against the right, if they did, then I would heartily approve. Those that say they are far-right wackos (I have heard this), I would like to point out stuff like recently when O'Reilly gave Obama a grade of B on his current job. I think thats a pretty fair and good rating no matter what side you come from.

In the end, you'll watch the show that seems to be more in line with your beliefs, I'm in the middle so I watch a little right and a little left. If your liberal, you'll be more of an MSNBC/CNN person and if your right you'll be a FOX person. Can't help but notice and point out the imbalance there. I wish there was another conservative high end news program on TV, as I think the copius amount of liberal reporting pushes America to the left from bombardment, and less on actual fact. e.g If you hear Knightowl sucks from 2/3rds of the people you watch on tv, and only 1/3 says he rocks, eventually the majority will believe he sucks. Its inevitable.

I'd like to add that of course the dems will be ahead on all these issues, they are giving a populist message, all things for all people, not a responsible one.

Like all 'giveawy govs' this only works while the money lasts, and right now the money is just about gone.

I'd love to have free health care and all kinds of other perks, but I understand that the price tag for this is out of reach, trying to bilk the wealthy won't work, they will hide and remove their money fast if they haven't done it already.

An economy and budget has to have a solid footing based in reality, Queen nan has her head in the clouds, she throws billions at everything as if she has a money tree they keeps sprouting more cash.

The left used to call Bush and the GoP 'children,' but here we see the current democratic government acting like kids in a candy shoppe, eating everything in site and no concern for the long term consequnces.

All this spending is going to flip us from recession into depression, they quietly just annouced that the last quarter was worse then the previuous two, there was no improvement at all.

STOP THE SPENDING, WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY.

The GOP has a lot of problems in that its policies are widely viewed as causing the economic mess and the huge debt.

That is why the Murdoch outlets are doing their best to talk down the economy and destroy confidence. If they can keep the recession going, they'll be a good position to recoup losses in 2010. If the economy is rebouding nicely, they are toast. They know it.

You mean the debt that your guy, Obama, is getting ready to triple? That one? When it's Bush's debt, then it's a terrible, terrible travisty, but when Obama is on the road to tripling it he's only doing it to save our once great nation and restore it to its former glory. :cuckoo:

You mean the debt that your guy, Obama, is getting ready to triple? That one? When it's Bush's debt, then it's a terrible, terrible travisty, but when Obama is on the road to tripling it he's only doing it to save our once great nation and restore it to its former glory. :cuckoo:

Not save our once great nation and restore it to it's former glory...but ressurrect it to the "new and improved"....:cuckoo:

Not save our once great nation and restore it to it's former glory...but ressurrect it to the "new and improved"....:cuckoo:
Oh yeah, silly me.... thanks for correcting my error... :lol:

LOL -- I'm sure I'll regret this, and earn another raft of neg reps and another score of flaming posts for doing it -- but exactly who is saying that Obama is "on the road to tripling" the debt?

LOL -- I'm sure I'll regret this, and earn another raft of neg reps and another score of flaming posts for doing it -- but exactly who is saying that Obama is "on the road to tripling" the debt?

Iriemon....why don't you start a thread on you getting neg repped? You have enough posts talking about it. :lol:

Iriemon....why don't you start a thread on you getting neg repped? You have enough posts talking about it. :lol:

Good idea, though I'd probably get neg repped for that!

I'd like to add that of course the dems will be ahead on all these issues, they are giving a populist message, all things for all people, not a responsible one.

Like all 'giveawy govs' this only works while the money lasts, and right now the money is just about gone.

I'd love to have free health care and all kinds of other perks, but I understand that the price tag for this is out of reach, trying to bilk the wealthy won't work, they will hide and remove their money fast if they haven't done it already.

An economy and budget has to have a solid footing based in reality, Queen nan has her head in the clouds, she throws billions at everything as if she has a money tree they keeps sprouting more cash.

The left used to call Bush and the GoP 'children,' but here we see the current democratic government acting like kids in a candy shoppe, eating everything in site and no concern for the long term consequnces.

All this spending is going to flip us from recession into depression, they quietly just annouced that the last quarter was worse then the previuous two, there was no improvement at all.

STOP THE SPENDING, WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY.

Ditto

I think it was the Congressional Budget Office's projection over 10 years. The numbers I heard was that the National Debt would double in 5 years and triple in 10 (I think this assumes his future budgets follow the same blueprint). I could be wrong on this.

Forum List

Back