GOP Obstructs Unemployment Benefits extension

Gee, any correlation between the continuing upswing and extension of benefits and the contuning rise in unemployment and length of unemployment?

Can you please answer the question? How long would be TOO LONG for someone to receive unemployment benefits? At what point in time should the benefits be STOPPED AS EXCESSIVE? IS THERE ANY LIMIT in your mind?

In a normal economy, 26 weeks is too long in my opinion. However, in a depressed economy with negative growth, they should be extended until the economy at least shows some actual growth, therefore I can't put an actual time limit on it.

Remember, it is very rare that we have ever remained in a recession as long as this one. Some of you have this belief that everyone can find a job if they just try hard enough. However, that is not the case. Currently, there are over 15 million unemployed; there is nowhere near that number of jobs available. So where do you suggest these people go to find a job when it doesn't exist? Maybe they should go to Mexico?

Nearly six unemployed workers per available job

It is not now, nor ever, the responsibility of the Federal Government to pay people not to work. NO MATTER the reason why they lost their job. READ the Constitution. Congress can only use our tax money to pay for those EXPRESSED powers in the Constitution.

That is why unemployment was set up. Employers pay into both state and federal programs so that when someone is laid off, they receive the benefits. It is not a direct handout until benefits are extended beyond the normal timeframe.

The more I read the stupid responses from the right, the further left I lean, and I thought I was fairly conservative when I first got here. I guess it just goes to show how out of touch most of you righties are on this board. I am, by no means, a bleeding heart liberal, but when we have 15 million unemployed and only 3 million available jobs and the unemployment rate is still on the rise, just putting those people out on the streets is not going to lead to a recovery, no matter what you may think.

Do people not realize that unemployment benefits are paid from money collected by employers and that as benefits are extended, rates on businesses are increased? How is it that anyone expects businesses to be able to create new jobs, if they're being cash strapped to provide the political payouts ( the OP did make this a partisan, this is a gift made by Dems, issue didn't he? ) for the politicians?

how?
it takes 60 votes to end debate
the dems have 60 votes
I don't believe it was being debated but rather up for vote.

He objected to the vote, because he needed 'more time' to read the bill or some such nonsense. It's a procedural way to delay voting / passage.

Remember how Bachmann's sole objection delayed that resolution?
he can ASK for the delay, but doesnt that also have to be voted on?

and you would need to show me a valid link for the Bachman claim as this is the first i have heard of that one

No, it doesn't. He objected to the vote. That's enough to postpone it.

As far as bachmann, there was a thread on it here. http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...declaring-hawaii-to-be-obamas-birthplace.html

593. H.RES.593 : Recognizing and celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the entry of Hawaii into the Union as the 50th State.

Sponsor: Rep Abercrombie, Neil [HI-1] (introduced 6/26/2009) Cosponsors (56)

Committees: House Oversight and Government Reform

Latest Major Action: 7/27/2009 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 378 - 0 (Roll no. 647).

ALL ACTIONS:
6/26/2009:
Referred to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

7/27/2009 4:20pm:
Mr. Clay moved to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution, as amended.

7/27/2009 4:22pm:
Considered under suspension of the rules. (consideration: CR H8839-8842)

7/27/2009 4:22pm:
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H. Res. 593.

7/27/2009 4:46pm:
At the conclusion of debate, the chair put the question on the motion to suspend the rules. Mrs. Bachmann objected to the vote on the grounds that a quorum was not present. Further proceedings on the motion were postponed. The point of no quorum was withdrawn.

7/27/2009 6:32pm:
Considered as unfinished business. (consideration: CR H8846)

7/27/2009 6:55pm:
Motion to reconsider laid on the table Agreed to without objection.

7/27/2009 6:55pm:
On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 378 - 0 (Roll no. 647). (text: CR H8839)
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

If that link doesn't work, just search by number.

Last edited:
Extending unemployment benefits tend to keep people out of the work force since it leaves them free to be picky about the jobs they take. So actually the Republicans are doing the right thing here.
The Dems are of course playing politics with the issue, trying to demagogue it like they always do.

You betcha, ol' Rabid. Them suckers should be taking minimum wage jobs so they can lose their homes even sooner.

The demagoguery here is done by people like you.

might you entertain the idea that they might conceivably think that extending benefits might be a bad idea for real reasons? Have you ever listened to what they had to say on the matter?

Just asking

Can a lib please tell me how long is TOO LONG for unemployment benefits to be handed out? Please give me a number of weeks that is TOO MUCH.

:crickets:

Under normal circumstances, 26 weeks is enough... THESE are not normal circumstances...

During the Great Depression, right wing pea brains of that era chided FDR for trying to help fellow his Americans...he was roundly criticized for excessive spending by conservative members of Congress, who claimed that the economy would sort itself out "in the long run". Prompting Commerce Secretary Harry Hopkins to reply, "People don't eat in the long run, they eat every day."

Right wing solutions are FANTASTIC...if ONLY human beings would evaporate...

"Have you ever heard of a bleeding heart Republican?"
Paul Craig Roberts - the father of Reaganomics

"We have all made mistakes. But Dante tells us that divine justice weighs the sins of the cold-blooded and the sins of the warm-hearted on different scales. Better the occasional faults of a party living in the spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a party frozen in the ice of its own indifference."
President John F. Kennedy

You may want to check your facts, During FDR's time, the Republicans were considered Liberals and the Democrats were considered conservatives.

BUT back to the point. The Senate has 60 Democratic votes and it only takes 51, the House has 265 democratic votes and it only takes 218. Remind us again how Republicans are blocking ANYTHING.
Now you're asking a left wing neutron brain to do some fancy cyphering.....Good luck. :lol:

Under normal circumstances, 26 weeks is enough... THESE are not normal circumstances...

During the Great Depression, right wing pea brains of that era chided FDR for trying to help fellow his Americans...he was roundly criticized for excessive spending by conservative members of Congress, who claimed that the economy would sort itself out "in the long run". Prompting Commerce Secretary Harry Hopkins to reply, "People don't eat in the long run, they eat every day."

Right wing solutions are FANTASTIC...if ONLY human beings would evaporate...

"Have you ever heard of a bleeding heart Republican?"
Paul Craig Roberts - the father of Reaganomics

"We have all made mistakes. But Dante tells us that divine justice weighs the sins of the cold-blooded and the sins of the warm-hearted on different scales. Better the occasional faults of a party living in the spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a party frozen in the ice of its own indifference."
President John F. Kennedy

You may want to check your facts, During FDR's time, the Republicans were considered Liberals and the Democrats were considered conservatives.

BUT back to the point. The Senate has 60 Democratic votes and it only takes 51, the House has 265 democratic votes and it only takes 218. Remind us again how Republicans are blocking ANYTHING.
Now you're asking a left wing neutron brain to do some fancy cyphering.....Good luck. :lol:
A Senator can block by objection.

Examples: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/washington/15brfs-SENATORBLOCK_BRF.html?_r=1

Regarding this issue:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Finance Chair Max Baucus said they had hoped the bill could be passed via a procedure that allows for a quick vote, but Kyl blocked the bill with an objection on the floor of the Senate, saying,

I have no doubt that at the appropriate time we'll be able to work out some kind of agreement. But our side is going to need some time to look at it. We'll need some republican ideas or amendments as well and need a CBO score. So at this time I'll have to -- on behalf of members on our side -- impose an objection.

Read more at: Dawn Teo: Kyl Blocks Vote on Unemployment Benefits, Says Republicans Need Ideas

Here's another example from when the Rs held majority:

A U.S. senator put a hold Tuesday on the nomination of Richard Hoagland to be ambassador to Armenia to protest the Bush administration's refusal to classify the deaths of 1.5 million Armenians in Ottoman Turkey as genocide.

Last week, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 13-5 to send Hoagland's nomination to the full Senate for a vote. Until Democratic Senator Robert Menendez lifts his hold, however, the Senate cannot vote on Hoagland's nomination. Under Senate rules, any senator can block nominations or legislation.

United States Senate Committee on Rules and Administration : How Congress Works

Republicans care about the average worker...Yea RIGHT!

There are two types of Republicans, millionaires and Suckers...

Republicans Must Stop Playing Politics With Unemployment Benefits

headshot.jpg

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand

More than 7,000 people across the country are losing their unemployment benefits every single day because Republicans are playing politics. Hardworking, middle class families, who are already cutting coupons and squeezing pennies to make ends meet, are now going to have the last strand of the safety net pulled right out from under them, simply because Republicans are obstructing progress.

Last week, the majority of my colleagues and I moved twice to extend unemployment benefits for millions of hardworking Americans who have been laid off and unable to find work in this difficult economy. These are our families, our friends, our neighbors. We all know someone who has been thrown into this situation.

But rather than do what is right, Republicans did what was politically convenient, twice blocking the extension in an effort to derail other economic recovery programs.

Read more at: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: Republicans Must Stop Playing Politics With Unemployment Benefits

You do realize the republicans DO NOT have a majority and the democrats have enough votes to PASS ANY BILL without republican support, dont you?

God ignorance will be the death of our great nation I swear.

Now that I got the obvious out of the way did you actually read the bill the republicans are complaining about? Do you see WHAT ELSE is in the bill besides the unemployment thing? Seriously people WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!

Will Dems pay Carbon Credits to people to not Breed?

If they do I hope they make it retroactive :D

Can you please answer the question? How long would be TOO LONG for someone to receive unemployment benefits? At what point in time should the benefits be STOPPED AS EXCESSIVE? IS THERE ANY LIMIT in your mind?

In a normal economy, 26 weeks is too long in my opinion. However, in a depressed economy with negative growth, they should be extended until the economy at least shows some actual growth, therefore I can't put an actual time limit on it.

Remember, it is very rare that we have ever remained in a recession as long as this one. Some of you have this belief that everyone can find a job if they just try hard enough. However, that is not the case. Currently, there are over 15 million unemployed; there is nowhere near that number of jobs available. So where do you suggest these people go to find a job when it doesn't exist? Maybe they should go to Mexico?

Nearly six unemployed workers per available job

It is not now, nor ever, the responsibility of the Federal Government to pay people not to work. NO MATTER the reason why they lost their job. READ the Constitution. Congress can only use our tax money to pay for those EXPRESSED powers in the Constitution.

bullshit

Once again, for all you blame-shifting retards out there:

The Republicans cannot stop anything the Dems want to do. They have neither the power or the votes to do so.

They cannot even hinder, obstruct or in any way even slow down the Dems.

The Dems do not need ANY Republican support or votes whatsoever, to do anything they want to do.

How long do you think this mindless blame-shifting is going to work?

Last edited:
how does a minorty block a vote of the majority ...the dems have the ability to pass anything they want.....

oh....where are they going to get the money....

I just love how the republicans are now concerned over Medicare, if hypocrisy were water they'd be an ocean.

I just love how the republicans are now concerned over Medicare, if hypocrisy were water they'd be an ocean.

I just love how the democrats aren't concerned with the budget and deficit anymore, if hypocrisy was a turd they'd be a manure factory.

Republicans care about the average worker...Yea RIGHT!

There are two types of Republicans, millionaires and Suckers...

Republicans Must Stop Playing Politics With Unemployment Benefits

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand

More than 7,000 people across the country are losing their unemployment benefits every single day because Republicans are playing politics. Hardworking, middle class families, who are already cutting coupons and squeezing pennies to make ends meet, are now going to have the last strand of the safety net pulled right out from under them, simply because Republicans are obstructing progress.

Last week, the majority of my colleagues and I moved twice to extend unemployment benefits for millions of hardworking Americans who have been laid off and unable to find work in this difficult economy. These are our families, our friends, our neighbors. We all know someone who has been thrown into this situation.

But rather than do what is right, Republicans did what was politically convenient, twice blocking the extension in an effort to derail other economic recovery programs.

If you're on unemployment for more than 26 weeks you're being too selective and/or lazy .....

That's really ignorant.

I lost my job in July 2008, have NOT been on unemployment, and have been actively looking for work. THERE ARE NO JOBS. I wouldn't wish bad on anyone, but it does seem like some of you really need a wakeup call as to the situation in most areas of the country. And it's even worse for older citizens like myself, who are looking for work. I really hate having to go through my savings because I can't find a job, with over 25 years of solid, steady work experience. At this point, I don't care if it's minimum wage, parttime, or whatever, as long as it's something. There are millions of others in the country in similar situations who are in worse shape than me, and who are losing their homes, cars, credit, etc.

But just go ahead and be a smug ignoramus when you don't know what you're talking about.

I lost my job in July 2008, have NOT been on unemployment, and have been actively looking for work. THERE ARE NO JOBS. I wouldn't wish bad on anyone, but it does seem like some of you really need a wakeup call as to the situation in most areas of the country. And it's even worse for older citizens like myself, who are looking for work. I really hate having to go through my savings because I can't find a job, with over 25 years of solid, steady work experience. At this point, I don't care if it's minimum wage, parttime, or whatever, as long as it's something. There are millions of others in the country in similar situations who are in worse shape than me, and who are losing their homes, cars, credit, etc.

But just go ahead and be a smug ignoramus when you don't know what you're talking about.

Please let us know what city and state you live in. I will provide you with a list of potential jobs showing that there ARE JOBS. Hopefully we can help you get employed again.

Forum List

Back