"GOP No Longer a 'Normal' Party" - David Brooks

... many important Democrats are open to a truly large budget deal. President Obama has a strong incentive to reach a deal so he can campaign in 2012 as a moderate. The Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, has talked about supporting a debt reduction measure of $3 trillion or even $4 trillion if the Republicans meet him part way. There are Democrats in the White House and elsewhere who would be willing to accept Medicare cuts if the Republicans would be willing to increase revenues.

If the Republican Party were a normal party, it would take advantage of this amazing moment. It is being offered the deal of the century: trillions of dollars in spending cuts in exchange for a few hundred billion dollars of revenue increases.

A normal Republican Party would seize the opportunity to put a long-term limit on the growth of government. It would seize the opportunity to put the country on a sound fiscal footing. It would seize the opportunity to do these things without putting any real crimp in economic growth.

The party is not being asked to raise marginal tax rates in a way that might pervert incentives. On the contrary, Republicans are merely being asked to close loopholes and eliminate tax expenditures that are themselves distortionary. ...

But we can have no confidence that the Republicans will seize this opportunity. That’s because the Republican Party may no longer be a normal party. Over the past few years, it has been infected by a faction that is more of a psychological protest than a practical, governing alternative.

The members of this movement do not accept the logic of compromise, no matter how sweet the terms. If you ask them to raise taxes by an inch in order to cut government by a foot, they will say no. If you ask them to raise taxes by an inch to cut government by a yard, they will still say no.

The members of this movement do not accept the legitimacy of scholars and intellectual authorities. A thousand impartial experts may tell them that a default on the debt would have calamitous effects, far worse than raising tax revenues a bit. But the members of this movement refuse to believe it.

The members of this movement have no sense of moral decency. A nation makes a sacred pledge to pay the money back when it borrows money. But the members of this movement talk blandly of default and are willing to stain their nation’s honor.

The members of this movement have no economic theory worthy of the name. Economists have identified many factors that contribute to economic growth, ranging from the productivity of the work force to the share of private savings that is available for private investment. Tax levels matter, but they are far from the only or even the most important factor.

But to members of this movement, tax levels are everything. Members of this tendency have taken a small piece of economic policy and turned it into a sacred fixation. They are willing to cut education and research to preserve tax expenditures. Manufacturing employment is cratering even as output rises, but members of this movement somehow believe such problems can be addressed so long as they continue to worship their idol. ...

If the debt ceiling talks fail, independent voters will see that Democrats were willing to compromise but Republicans were not. If responsible Republicans don’t take control, independents will conclude that Republican fanaticism caused this default. They will conclude that Republicans are not fit to govern.

And they will be right.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/opinion/05brooks.html?_r=4&ref=davidbrooks

Thoughts?

David Brooks can go....

The same David Brooks who jumped on the Hopey Changey bandwagon and refuse to admit he was duped?

Whatever.

What exactly are the Dems willing to compromise on??

Anyone got any idea??

I haven't heard one word about the Dems being willing to compromise on anything. They seem to think the Reps are the only ones that need to compromise.

Funny how that works doncha know.

Progressive Definition of Normal: a Failed Leader runs up a $1.6 Trillion deficit, believing bank ATM's kicked your economy ass and thinking 9+% unemployment is funny because jobs weren't "Shovel ready"

“We own the economy” -- DNC

57 States! :lol:

Your boy set a record for consecutive months of unemployment at 8%+...and he thinks its funny.

We'll see who's laughing in November 12

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O55aRrvXtio]YouTube - ‪Obama: Shovel-Ready Not as Shovel-Ready as We Expected‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:

Anyone got any idea??

I haven't heard one word about the Dems being willing to compromise on anything. They seem to think the Reps are the only ones that need to compromise.

Did you even bother reading the article or the OP? How lazy can you be?

I'll offer to cut 100 trillion over 7,000 years. It's the deal of a lifetime! You get 80% of what you want! You're evil if you don't take this amazing deal where I absolutely give in to just about everything...

Yet the deficit will rise dramatically, all 4 wars will continue and another stimulus is on the table. Either Neocons are progressive liberals or Progressive liberals are Neocons... either way Government grows and so will our debt.

Republicans had GWB, yikes… The Dems had Obama, the president who came directly after GWB and half way through his first term made the “Bush did it” argument blow up in liberals faces because as well all know, 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Do everything you can to defend Obama, because it’s apparent you liberal’s hated Bush but loved his policies.

Last edited:
Toro if this is what the Republicans are getting:
"...debt reduction measure of $3 trillion or even $4 trillion...accept Medicare cuts if the Republicans ...trillions of dollars in spending cuts in exchange for a few hundred billion dollars of revenue increases..."

And this is what they are being asked to give up:
The party is not being asked to raise marginal tax rates in a way that might pervert incentives. On the contrary, Republicans are merely being asked to close loopholes and eliminate tax expenditures that are themselves distortionary.

Then I would say they are are wrong for turning it down. Yes closing loopholes and eliminating tax expenditures are the equivalent of tax increases. HOWEVER, a lot of these loopholes "contribute to the overshoring of jobs and industry anyways! In a prefect plan I prefer closing the loopholes and simutaneously lowering taxes and spending! But this isn't a perfect world and this is the best deal both parties can get. I just hope that $3-$4 trillion cuts are REAL cuts (which I am highly skeptical they are) and I am glad both parties are putting medicare on the table!"

If Republicans are using this just get points against Obama in 2012, then I will be very disappointed. A crash now in a non-recovery "recovery" would be devastrating!

Last edited:

Anyone got any idea??

LOL, like we are SUPPOSE to now take what some so called "conservative" political columnist says as the gospel..
People better WAKE up and see this is ALL just smoke being blown up your asses by the Obama and his Comrades in arms. IF they were serious, they NEVER would of let this get THIS FAR when they had a MAJORITY..

Toro if this is what the Republicans are getting:
...debt reduction measure of $3 trillion or even $4 trillion...accept Medicare cuts if the Republicans ...trillions of dollars in spending cuts in exchange for a few hundred billion dollars of revenue increases...

And this is what they are being asked to give up:
The party is not being asked to raise marginal tax rates in a way that might pervert incentives. On the contrary, Republicans are merely being asked to close loopholes and eliminate tax expenditures that are themselves distortionary.

Then I would say they are are wrong for turning it down. Yes closing loopholes and eliminating tax expenditures are the equivalent of tax increases. HOWEVER, a lot of these loopholes contribute to the overshoring of jobs and industry anyways! In a prefect plan I prefer closing the loopholes and simutaneously lowering taxes and spending! But this isn't a perfect world and this is the best deal both parties can get. I just hop that $3-$3 trillion cuts are REAL cuts (which I am highly skeptical they are) and I am glad both parties are putting medicare on the table!

If Republicans are using this just get points against Obama in 2012, then I will be very disappointed. A crash now in a non-recovery "recovery" would be devestrating!

Finally, a rational response. :clap2:

Anyone got any idea??

LOL, like we are SUPPOSE to now take what some so called "conservative" political columnist says as the gospel..
People better WAKE up and see this is ALL just smoke being blown up your asses by the Obama and his Comrades in arms. IF they were serious, they NEVER would of let this get THIS FAR when they had a MAJORITY..

The commies are out to get you. Go back to sleep.

stupid insults all you got left? That's what you all resort to when you have NOTHING and people DISAGREE with you..
:eusa_whistle:

stupid insults all you got left? That's what you all resort to when you have NOTHING and people DISAGREE with you..
:eusa_whistle:

The key is to know your audience.

Anyone got any idea??

Lazy? Me?? Not hardly. I was speaking more about hearing anything on the news about what the Clowns are doing.

I came in on page three. I did go back and read it.

Sounds like the Clowns in DC have some decisions to make. Lets hope they make the one that benefits the country and not their own self interests.

David Brooks is a Republican the Same way Jake Starkey is a republican.

The republicans have risen above principle time and again, made compromise after compromise. Each time, they got snookered by the democrats pulling out of the deal and doing a bait and switch on them. They have been feeling like Charlie Brown chasing after Lucy's football for years.

Now they feel liberated. It is their turn to be totally irresponsible and disingenuous. Making deals has not worked for them any time it was tried. Trusting the Democrats when they offer a compromise has worked as well as repeated orgasms during the high fertility point of the menstrual cycle with only the assurance that the press will still love them in the morning works as a method of birth control.

The time to be adults is over. Let the Democrats be the adults for once. The downside risk of them being irresponsible is higher for them this once. Time to party.

The members of this movement do not accept the legitimacy of scholars and intellectual authorities. A thousand impartial experts may tell them that a default on the debt would have calamitous effects, far worse than raising tax revenues a bit. But the members of this movement refuse to believe it.

The members of this movement have no sense of moral decency. A nation makes a sacred pledge to pay the money back when it borrows money. But the members of this movement talk blandly of default and are willing to stain their nation’s honor
False premise.
Not raising the debt limit no no way necessarily endangers the 'sacred pledge' we made with our creditors.

It DOES, however, endanger the 'sacred pledge' the liberals and Democrats have made to the people that vote for them - to provide them with a secure, uninterrupted flow of government hand-outs.

That's the issue here -- we have to raise the debt ceiling so the Dems can continue to buy votes.

Any party that condone's nonsense like this has lost its way.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpCeCaRTWLg&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - ‪America TSA Sexually Abuse Baby at Airport?‬‏[/ame]

Steph it is all you ever do

BTW TM, it's all you ever do... You just lump millions of people together when you call them names, that's why you're a bigot of course.

No I give you facts which you then deny.

like the very definitions of words and court documented evidence.

I have not called anyone anything but silly for months now.

Every time I have done this on the internet people still claim I call names.

You people just dont see what is really typed.

Your mind makes things up on automatic.

It happens every damned time I sstop calling people names.

i did oit on one con site for a full year and ended up being banned because they could not handle the fact that I didnt call them names yet they spewed all sorts of things at me.

The right leaning mind really does opperate like that study I posted says.

Forum List

Back