GOP legislator stopped from taking loaded gun on plane

How can you mistakingly report if the gun was or was not loaded?
I don't think he would have been released if it had been loaded.

"At that time, I was questioned by airport police, cited for possession of an unloaded firearm. I was released as soon as it was determined that I was not a threat. I boarded the next flight without incident," he said.

Airport police originally reported the gun was unloaded but it was loaded, the TSA said.

WHAT ??????????????

And how in the world do you forget you have a handgun in your luggage?

California lawmaker detained at airport over gun - Yahoo! News

Most people would be in jail right now for having any sort of gun in an airport, why is he an exception?

I think it would depend on where the airport is. If he had a CC license, it might not be an issue. I don't think there's an overall law against bringing your gun to the airport.

There is certainly a law forbidding them on a plane, though. And still an incredibly dumb move.

Most people would be in jail right now for having any sort of gun in an airport, why is he an exception?

I think it would depend on where the airport is. If he had a CC license, it might not be an issue. I don't think there's an overall law against bringing your gun to the airport.

There is certainly a law forbidding them on a plane, though. And still an incredibly dumb move.

Sorry as a politician he obviously fails one of the requirments for a CC in California.
What are the requirements for a California CCW?

1. Legal resident
2. At least 21 years of age
3. Good Cause
4. Good Moral Character

Concealed Firearm Carry Permit in California: Information Database

Sorry as a politician he obviously fails one of the requirments for a CC in California.
What are the requirements for a California CCW?

1. Legal resident
2. At least 21 years of age
3. Good Cause
4. Good Moral Character

Concealed Firearm Carry Permit in California: Information Database

Ha.

A former Marine could get 15 years for carrying a concealed weapon in NY...
Marine Trying to Observe Gun Safety Gets Jail Time | The Stir
Marine Corps gunner Ryan Jerome was just trying to make sure his firearm was properly stowed and all safety protocols followed when he visited the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

Jerome, who has a concealed carry permit in Indiana, was arrested and faces up to 15 years in prison for his ‘crime’ of responsibility. Even if he is indicted by a grand jury, the bare minimum prison sentence is two years. “They couldn’t even offer less if they wanted to,” said Jerome’s attorney Mark Bederow.

But a politician who tries to take a concealed weapon onto a plane... nada.

yeah... that's fair. :rolleyes:

Marine Corps gunner Ryan Jerome was just trying to make sure his firearm was properly stowed and all safety protocols followed when he visited the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

Jerome, who has a concealed carry permit in Indiana, was arrested and faces up to 15 years in prison for his ‘crime’ of responsibility. Even if he is indicted by a grand jury, the bare minimum prison sentence is two years. “They couldn’t even offer less if they wanted to,” said Jerome’s attorney Mark Bederow.

It's an issue of "where". Laws are different in different places.

It's against the law for someone with a California CCW to carry a gun in NY. So that guy was violating the law.

It may or may not be against the law to carry a gun in whatever airport that politician was arrested.

It's comparing apples to oranges.

It's against the law for someone with a California CCW to carry a gun in NY. So that guy was violating the law.

It may or may not be against the law to carry a gun in whatever airport that politician was arrested.

in principle, I do not totally disagree. however, he claims he looked up the rules online, and was under the impression it was allowed. If the site he checked was a government site, and had bad information, he should walk. If not, well, then it's on him.

Just comparing the treatment of a politician to that of an ex-Marine.

in principle, I do not totally disagree. however, he claims he looked up the rules online, and was under the impression it was allowed. If the site he checked was a government site, and had bad information, he should walk. If not, well, then it's on him.

The first result on a google search of "New York State Gun Law" turned up this:

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console).

NYS Gun Laws | NY Firearms - New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons | NY Firearms

The first result on a google search of "New York State Gun Law" turned up this:

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console).

NYS Gun Laws | NY Firearms - New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons | NY Firearms

that would make the ex-Marine a dumbass I guess.

Forum List

Back