GOP leaders hyped their budget savings, the 38 Bn that really isn't...

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
when harry and Mitch and John all clap each other on the back and congratulate on another as to how in end the we all came together etc etc...hold on to your wallet, I said it then and, well, here we are; 100 Billion became what again?

I heard a question asked on CNN no less, to wit; is [the] previous Continuing Resolution negotiation $ amounts equaling 10 Billion may be part of this too, meaning, 38 billion has now become 28 billion minus the slight of hand 'cuts" listed below.....even if that turns out to be false, this was a hose job, and Dirty Harrry Reid? He put the smack down, gotta hand it to him. :clap2:

The Presidents 'budget' do over tomorrow will regurgitate deficit commission recommendations he never bought off on, but, I promise you, they will be lauded as the second coming; the new cooperative attitude as displayed by the GOP and Dems negotiation over cuts avoiding the shutdown will be used to peddle this fish as the Mediscare machine ala Ryans proposals has ramped up.

Spending Cut Hokum

GOP leaders hyped their budget savings.

snip-
After separating out the accounting gimmicks and one-year savings, the actual cuts look to be closer to $20 billion than to the $38 billion that both sides advertised.

Even $20 billion is worthwhile, and the genuine reductions include cuts in high-speed rail, Pell grants, highway projects, renewable energy programs, housing subsidies, low-income home energy assistance, agriculture programs, contributions to the United Nations, and many more. There is also an immediate across the board 0.2% reduction in all nondefense accounts.

snip-
But the continuing resolution also saves money on paper through phantom cuts. The whopper is declaring $6.2 billion in savings by not spending money left from the 2010 Census. Congress also cuts $4.9 billion from the Justice Department's Crime Victims Fund, but much of that money was tucked away in a reserve fund that wouldn't have been spent this year in any event.

The budgeteers claim $630 million in cuts from what are called "orphan earmarks," or construction that never started, and $2 billion more for transportation projects, some of which were likely to be canceled. The Associated Press reports that $350 million in savings comes from a 2009 program to pay dairy farmers to compensate for low milk prices. Milk prices are high this year, so some of that money also would never have been spent.

An estimated $17 billion comes from one-time savings in mandatory programs. The cuts are real, but the funding gets restored by law the next year, which means Republicans will have to refight the same battles.

more at-

Review & Outlook: Spending Cut Hokum - WSJ.com

I have a strong suspicion that this is a Meme being spread by the Left in order to curry favor with the leftwing base who are concerned about capitulating on expanding government spending.

The federal budget has long been manipulated with gimmicks and bogus accounting. We have two choices: Continue arguing over the Budget That Was Never Passed For 2011 (which is nearly half over) - or Cut A Deal And Move On To The Real Business Of Cutting $Ts Out Of The 2012 Budget.

The former plays into the Dems' hands to continue Big Government As Usual.

I have a strong suspicion that this is a Meme being spread by the Left in order to curry favor with the leftwing base who are concerned about capitulating on expanding government spending.

The federal budget has long been manipulated with gimmicks and bogus accounting. We have two choices: Continue arguing over the Budget That Was Never Passed For 2011 (which is nearly half over) - or Cut A Deal And Move On To The Real Business Of Cutting $Ts Out Of The 2012 Budget.

Cutting $T's would be harder to meme than a donkey riding a Mexican Midget in a cheap cantina.

You can't have it both ways unless you operate on emotion rather than logic as liberals are known to do. Democrats have been spending like a community activist with a stolen ATM card for four years. Are they suddenly aware that reckless spending is bad? How did they come to that concluson? Maybe when they lost the majority? The 38 B cut allegedly hyped by republicans is a drop in the bucket although the Tea Party conservatives wanted a lot more. The question is where does the left come down on the issue. Most would admit that we need massive budget cuts so it follows that the congressional Tea Party members are the only political faction that really wants to turn this Country around.

If the GOP hadn't stopped a return to the pre-Bush tax rates for the quarter of a million dollar club we would have generated about twice that in revenue.

If the GOP hadn't stopped a return to the pre-Bush tax rates for the quarter of a million dollar club we would have generated about twice that in revenue.

B'loney. GDP growth would be lower, as would tax receipts and job creation.

You can't have it both ways unless you operate on emotion rather than logic as liberals are known to do. Democrats have been spending like a community activist with a stolen ATM card for four years. Are they suddenly aware that reckless spending is bad? How did they come to that concluson? Maybe when they lost the majority? The 38 B cut allegedly hyped by republicans is a drop in the bucket although the Tea Party conservatives wanted a lot more. The question is where does the left come down on the issue. Most would admit that we need massive budget cuts so it follows that the congressional Tea Party members are the only political faction that really wants to turn this Country around.

Don't forget, this is part of Obies sloooowwww move to the middle. :lol:

BUB!!!

The local paper published a letter I wrote complaining about an article Headlined State's Budget Deficites linked to TAX CUTS!!!

My bitch was that I'd just written a $1000 check to the Colorado Dept of Revenue, and the author of the article couldn't find me, OR ANY OTHER SOURCE, to question if State budget deficites may be a function of OUT OF CONTROL SPENDING!!!???

You can't have it both ways unless you operate on emotion rather than logic as liberals are known to do. Democrats have been spending like a community activist with a stolen ATM card for four years. Are they suddenly aware that reckless spending is bad? How did they come to that concluson? Maybe when they lost the majority?

The funny thing is that you can substitute "liberals" for "conservatives" and "four" for "eight" and that statement is still exactly true.

That's the standard GOP line but history shows a different story.

Where are all the jobs with the tax cuts if they're so effective?

Demand creats jobs, not the wealthy or corporations, sorry but people are waking up to GOP lies.

Demand creats jobs, not the wealthy or corporations, sorry but people are waking up to GOP lies.

Are you gonna post much more blithering idiocy, because if so, I'd like to put you on ignore now so your posts don't clutter up any intelligent threads?

we'll have to disagree here B, I saw and heard this almost immediately there after, and in the end, I would be more than happy to have this disproved.

The other battles are more important I agree, I just don't like the way this started out, it doesn't bode well.

A far as the media angle goes and placating his base, he did, look at the medias skirting the Planned Parenthood issue, it was in fact OBAMA who would have fallen on his sword and shut the gov. down for PP, not a dime he said, not one dime...

Are you gonna post much more blithering idiocy, because if so, I'd like to put you on ignore now so your posts don't clutter up any intelligent threads?

Right, and your rebuttal to the end of the Bush tax breaks bringing in more revenue is...wait for it...tax receipts would be lower...talk about idiocy.

Right, and your rebuttal to the end of the Bush tax breaks bringing in more revenue is...wait for it...tax receipts would be lower...talk about idiocy.

Wow......and I thought you couldn't get any stupider.

My rebuttle would be for government to spend LESS, you hairlipped MORON!!

2011-04-13-chronicle-cartoon.jpg

Obama's new budget will REALLY cut the deficit....
2011-04-13-chronicle.jpg

My, um, uh er , new um uh er, budget, will um, uh cut the er budget by um ah..this much!

Really?

Do you remember what you wrote two posts ago?

Really?

Do you remember what you wrote two posts ago?

Yeah.
:eusa_eh:
I didn't write the second quote.

:eusa_whistle:

Thanks for playing.

Forum List

Back