GOP KY GOVERNOR threatens teachers, they 'better not strike'

centerleftFL

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2018
What's he going to do? Fire them all? Pull a Reagan? Wanna watch MOTHERS march on the capital, go ahead and fire them let's see what happens. Also seems he vetoed an education bill and DIDN'T TALK TO ANY LEGISLATORS.

Kentucky’s GOP governor dares teachers to walk out after vetoing budget deal

TRAVIS GETTYS
09 APR 2018 AT 14:37 ET

Gov. Matt Bevin vetoed a controversial budget deal approved last week by Republican lawmakers — and he dared teachers to protest.

About 200 stunned and furious teachers shamed GOP lawmakers March 29 after they rushed through a pension reform bill, opening the way to an agreement on a two-year budget proposal and tax reform bill that Bevin will veto, reported the Courier-Journal.

The teachers union immediately criticized Bevin for vetoing the budget, which included hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for public education, and Bevin urged educators not to walk off the job in protest as their counterparts have in West Virginia and Oklahoma.

“It’s illegal for them to strike in this state — I would not advise that,” Bevin said. “I think that would be a mistake.”...

The Jefferson County union urged teachers to take off Friday to travel to Frankfort to protest the vetoes, and officials warned educators not to use sick days for that purpose.

Teachers walked out April 2 to protest the bills Bevin vetoed, and the governor blamed the “very loud” statewide union.

Bevin must decide by midnight Tuesday whether he will veto the pension reform bill, which the Kentucky Education Association opposes because changes in retirement benefits could discourage teachers from starting careers in the state.

GOP leaders in the state legislature complained that Bevin decided to veto the bills they passed without consulting them, but instead consulted with “job creators” who were unhappy with the legislation.

“To our knowledge, the Governor has had no discussions with any legislators on the details of this budget and what he might consider to be a shortfall,” said Senate President Robert Stivers (R-Manchester) and House Speaker Pro Tempore David Osborne (R-Prospect) in a joint statement. ...

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/ken...g-budget-deal/

If it's illegal for them to strike, have the sheriff's come and arrest them - all.

I don't blame them for striking as my mother was a teacher for 15 years and the pay is SHIT but there has to be some other way to fix this shit. Governor sounds like a prick he didn't even consult with his legislative leaders on the damn bill!

It was easy for Reagan to absolutely destroy thousands of lives back in the 80’s because the public is not involved with air traffic controllers and it’s not personal to them. People won’t stand for that with teachers.

Explain how the public wasn't involved. Millions of people fly every day in this country and there were plenty of travel delays as a result of Reagan's actions. Furthermore, he didn't destroy their lives. They did when they decided they were above the law and could hold the American people hostage.

It was easy for Reagan to absolutely destroy thousands of lives back in the 80’s because the public is not involved with air traffic controllers and it’s not personal to them. People won’t stand for that with teachers.

Explain how the public wasn't involved. Millions of people fly every day in this country and there were plenty of travel delays as a result of Reagan's actions. Furthermore, he didn't destroy their lives. They did when they decided they were above the law and could hold the American people hostage.
Reagan was a vindictive ****. He ruined lives. It’s no coincidence that today’s massive income inequality gap began under his “leadership.”

Reagan was a vindictive ****. He ruined lives. It’s no coincidence that today’s massive income inequality gap began under his “leadership.”
He would get with grape growers and tauntingly eat table grapes while the Farm Workers were marching on Sacramento.

He would get with grape growers and tauntingly eat table grapes while the Farm Workers were marching on Sacramento.
He was a philandering asshole President who thrived on ruining people. Sound familiar? :laugh:

You got it. You think airplanes getting shuffled and flights stopping was bad, thats nothing compared to 600,000 kids with no place to go no schools are open and that's only one state.

And he hired scabs and it took a full decade to get back to a normal level of service, finally upgrading equipment the strikers begged for originally.

Remember when Reagan conducted paybacks to the FIRED workers--packing salt into their woun ds? Yeah, Reagan was a saint.

What's he going to do? Fire them all? Pull a Reagan? Wanna watch MOTHERS march on the capital, go ahead and fire them let's see what happens. Also seems he vetoed an education bill and DIDN'T TALK TO ANY LEGISLATORS.

Kentucky’s GOP governor dares teachers to walk out after vetoing budget deal

TRAVIS GETTYS
09 APR 2018 AT 14:37 ET

Gov. Matt Bevin vetoed a controversial budget deal approved last week by Republican lawmakers — and he dared teachers to protest.

About 200 stunned and furious teachers shamed GOP lawmakers March 29 after they rushed through a pension reform bill, opening the way to an agreement on a two-year budget proposal and tax reform bill that Bevin will veto, reported the Courier-Journal.

The teachers union immediately criticized Bevin for vetoing the budget, which included hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for public education, and Bevin urged educators not to walk off the job in protest as their counterparts have in West Virginia and Oklahoma.

“It’s illegal for them to strike in this state — I would not advise that,” Bevin said. “I think that would be a mistake.”...

The Jefferson County union urged teachers to take off Friday to travel to Frankfort to protest the vetoes, and officials warned educators not to use sick days for that purpose.

Teachers walked out April 2 to protest the bills Bevin vetoed, and the governor blamed the “very loud” statewide union.

Bevin must decide by midnight Tuesday whether he will veto the pension reform bill, which the Kentucky Education Association opposes because changes in retirement benefits could discourage teachers from starting careers in the state.

GOP leaders in the state legislature complained that Bevin decided to veto the bills they passed without consulting them, but instead consulted with “job creators” who were unhappy with the legislation.

“To our knowledge, the Governor has had no discussions with any legislators on the details of this budget and what he might consider to be a shortfall,” said Senate President Robert Stivers (R-Manchester) and House Speaker Pro Tempore David Osborne (R-Prospect) in a joint statement. ...

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/ken...g-budget-deal/

Red staters getting threatened by the people they voted for.

Bitch.

Teachers can protest on their own time, not during school hours when students are there to learn.

It just goes to show that liberals could care less about education. To them schools are just indoctrination centers and political movements are more important than education.

Teachers can protest on their own time, not during school hours when students are there to learn.

It just goes to show that liberals could care less about education. To them schools are just indoctrination centers and political movements are more important than education.
Yeah sure, let them march on their own timre. On SAT or SUN when the lawmaker s are home and media is on reduced staff. Who needs to see or hear a bunch of women in the streets "bitching" right?

I don't blame them for striking as my mother was a teacher for 15 years and the pay is SHIT but there has to be some other way to fix this shit. Governor sounds like a prick he didn't even consult with his legislative leaders on the damn bill!
The operative word there, "mother". If it was fathers that were teachers--it would be VALUED!

The operative word there, "mother". If it was fathers that were teachers--it would be VALUED!

????????

Many fathers ARE teachers. I had several male teachers. This isn't a gender thing.

What? You think there aren't any male teachers? Did you even go to school?

Good point.

I have no objection to public sector employees striking on their own time...but if they strike on my time I'll just have to go on strike and refuse to pay the taxes that pay their salaries. Seems fair...:D

My senior year in hs the teachers went on strike - for most of us life and learning went on. Strangely enough the loudest protests came from a group of students who spent as little time in learning as possible.

Forum List

Back