gop just can't stay out of people's lives

Well, now that I have seen the bill itself: Read The Bill: H.R. 3 - GovTrack.us

It seems that Mother Jones is full of shit. It does not call for audits. It simply states that no federal funding shall be used for the purposes of abortion and gives the exclusion for the case of rape, incest or life of the mother.

This is the only reference to the internal revenue laws that I could find:

‘SEC. 303. PROHIBITION ON TAX BENEFITS RELATING TO ABORTION.

‘For taxable years beginning after the date of the enactment of this section--

‘(1) no credit shall be allowed under the internal revenue laws with respect to amounts paid or incurred for an abortion or with respect to amounts paid or incurred for a health benefits plan (including premium assistance) that includes coverage of abortion,

Immie

huh? so if a person has health insurance that covers abortion they can not deduct their health care premiums? I don't understand?

how is this the government's money btw? isn't it the payee's money?

i guess i just don't understand?

Don't ask me, I did not say I understood either. But, I can give my opinion, I hope. Since except for cases of rape, incest or the life of the mother, federal funds are already prevented from being used to fund abortions, this bill is nothing more than political grandstanding at its finest. Nothing changes at all. Federal funds are still prevented from funding abortions except in those rare instances, but by God, those elected officials are doing the will of the people... or at least they want us to think they are.

Immie

It seems that Mother Jones is full of shit. It does not call for audits. It simply states that no federal funding shall be used for the purposes of abortion and gives the exclusion for the case of rape, incest or life of the mother.

Immie

huh? so if a person has health insurance that covers abortion they can not deduct their health care premiums? I don't understand?

It's essentially to stop any workarounds of the Hyde Amendment, a House rule that prohibits any bills or parts of bills which allow federal funding of abortion. Basically making the Hyde amendment, law. To put it way too simply.

The massive bi-partisan support of this bill is astounding. If all of the cosponsors vote for this bill, it passes easily. There's over 210 cosponsors.

And yes, the biased source the OP started this thread with is a complete and total liar.

Thanks, that makes things a little more understandable.

Immie

It's essentially to stop any workarounds of the Hyde Amendment, a House rule that prohibits any bills or parts of bills which allow federal funding of abortion. Basically making the Hyde amendment, law. To put it way too simply.

The massive bi-partisan support of this bill is astounding. If all of the cosponsors vote for this bill, it passes easily. There's over 210 cosponsors.

And yes, the biased source the OP started this thread with is a complete and total liar.

Thanks, that makes things a little more understandable.

Immie
It's greatly oversimplified and it's just my own opinion from reading the bill, but I can't see what else it could be. It's the Hyde Amendment as law, from what I read.

‘SEC. 303. PROHIBITION ON TAX BENEFITS RELATING TO ABORTION.

‘For taxable years beginning after the date of the enactment of this section--

‘(1) no credit shall be allowed under the internal revenue laws with respect to amounts paid or incurred for an abortion or with respect to amounts paid or incurred for a health benefits plan (including premium assistance) that includes coverage of abortion,
Immie
So, once again, much ado about nothing

can someone who has a health care policy, that covers abortion.....even though this someone has never had an abortion, be told that she and her husband can NOT take the tax deduction for the cost of their healthcare premiums, because abortion is an option on their healthcare plan??

yes or no?

That.... Bill sure has alot of cosponsors with a (D) by their name.... Alot.

Looks like 212 Republicans and 10 Democrats. That is a lot. A lot.
Example of me setting myself up with a volunteer researcher, by making such a bold statement! Thanks! Rep on the way!

But did you really go through and check it? Too damn many names there for me to check.... Figured someone would though!:lol:

can someone who has a health care policy, that covers abortion.....even though this someone has never had an abortion, be told that she and her husband can NOT take the tax deduction for the cost of their healthcare premiums, because abortion is an option on their healthcare plan??

yes or no?
It does look like they're closing that loophole, that workaround of the Hyde Amendment. Yes. Except in cases of rape or incest.

>

Stuff like this pisses me off. Didn't they get the hint last November that we want SMALLER government. We were told that the Tea Party and voting for the GOP meant SMALLER government, a focus on fiscal issues, getting rid of the monstrosity called Obamacare, and creating jobs - not pandering to Social Cons.

>>>>

>

Stuff like this pisses me off. Didn't they get the hint last November that we want SMALLER government. We were told that the Tea Party and voting for the GOP meant SMALLER government, a focus on fiscal issues, getting rid of the monstrosity called Obamacare, and creating jobs - not pandering to Social Cons.

>>>>
Actually and unfortunately, this is a result of a part of the new health care law.... This is fixing a loophole it created.

However, the Hyde Amendment has had bipartisan support since its inception. Only now, if a law, it DOES allow federal funding for abortions in the case of rape or incest. If this passes, that will be on the books for the first time in my knowledge.

>

>>>>
Actually and unfortunately, this is a result of a part of the new health care law.... This is fixing a loophole it created.

However, the Hyde Amendment has had bipartisan support since its inception. Only now, if a law, it DOES allow federal funding for abortions in the case of rape or incest. If this passes, that will be on the books for the first time in my knowledge.

but wasn't the hyde amendment for the us government not paying for medicaid abortions?

In U.S. politics, the Hyde Amendment is a legislative provision barring the use of certain federal funds to pay for abortions.[1] It is not a permanent law, rather it is a "rider" that, in various forms, has been routinely attached to annual appropriations bills since 1976. The Hyde Amendment applies only to funds allocated by the annual appropriations bill for the Department of Health and Human Services. It primarily affects Medicaid.
Hyde Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes or no?

Potentially, though the bill isn't written well-enough to say with certainty. Most of the tax privileges health plans enjoy would be revoked for plans that offer abortion coverage. The tax exemption of premiums for employer-sponsored plans might disappear at least in part, depending on the structure of the plan and the interpretation of the bill's (undefined) language.

You can read some of the analysis of the bill here but a key point is:

If the expansive reading of the term “taxpayer” is used, subsection 303(2) requires disallowance of tax deductions taken by employers in conjunction with health plans with abortion coverage offered to their employees. If the term “taxpayer” is interpreted to include entities, however, a possible consequence could be that insured and self-insured plans are treated differently with respect to identical costs. Subsection 162(a) deductions might not be allowed for the reimbursement of incurred medical expenses associated with abortions for employers with self-insured plans because those expenses might include “amounts paid or incurred for an abortion.” A deduction might be allowed, however, for the cost of insured employee health insurance that includes abortion coverage because such costs would be amounts paid for a health benefits plan rather than for an abortion. In the case of an employer that self-insures, no deduction is allowed under the bill for the cost of the reimbursement of amounts paid or incurred for an abortion, and the employee must include the amount of the reimbursement in gross income. However, for an employer that purchases health insurance coverage from an insurance company, the full premium is deductible by the employer, and the actual reimbursement is excluded from the employee’s gross income.​

But did you really go through and check it? Too damn many names there for me to check.... Figured someone would though!:lol:

Yes, the list is on THOMAS. As far as I can tell, the only Democratic cosponsors are Dan Boren, Jerry Costello, Mark Critz, Joe Donnelly, Dan Lipinski, Mike McIntyre, Collin Peterson, Nick Rahall, Mike Ross, and Heath Shuler.

Last edited:
how is the gvt APPROPRIATING for my healthcare?

and my entire insurance plan, IF it allows abortion to be paid by it, can not be deducted from my taxes due?

even though the abortion allowance probably costs about 20 bucks a year for it, the 7k i pay for it a year can not be deducted?

that doesn't make sense....THAT IS A GVT OVER REACH BEYOND REASON!

i can't have kids, so an abortion option is not an issue but i read that 86% of all insurance plans allow for it, so more than likely, our plan has the coverage, and it is bullcrud that our insurance premiums can not be deducted.

IF this is true....it is wrong for the gvt to not allow the deduction for ones health insurance with abortion coverage....abortion coverage is NOT EQUAL to actually paying for an abortion.

It is the idiot left dimwits that are big gov't. idiots that can't stay out of peoples lives.

Bullshit. The right is just as much in favor of big government as the left, just on different issues.

Bullshit. What are you calling "the right"? The term is tailored to suit whatever someone wants.
Conservatives believe in a moral role of government within certain limits. Do you want government permitting rape, theft and murder? Aren't those "personal decisions"?

Less thing was want to do is give more power to the IRS. They've screwed us over enough.

Forum List

Back