GOP in sneak move to pass U.N. treaty

N

NewGuy

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38106

This one is lengthy, I am just putting in a bit from the beginning. It gets meatier.

LOST is a treaty that needs to be killed YESTERDAY.

A United Nations treaty awaiting confirmation before the Senate, national security experts warn, would, if approved, cripple the U.S. Navy, empower potential enemies including China, make the nation vulnerable to submarine cruise-missile attack, and help terrorists.

Nonetheless, momentum has been building stealthily in the Senate to ratify the treaty. And this time Republicans can't point fingers at their liberal Democratic colleagues or even at the former Clinton administration.

The culprits behind the sneak move, Capitol Hill sources say, are senior Republican senators and key figures in the administration of President Bush.

At issue is the U.N. Law of the Sea Treaty, or LOST, which has been in the works since the 1970s, when the Soviet Union and the so-called Non-Aligned Movement tried to use the United Nations to wrest control of the seas from the United States and its allies.

Under LOST, a global U.N. agency called the International Seabed Authority, or ISA, would take control of the world's oceans, seven-tenths of the earth's surface. The ISA would not be accountable to dues-paying members but would be a self-financing entity imposing a tax on countries that exploit natural resources on the ocean floor.

In 1982, President Ronald Reagan refused to sign the treaty, officially called the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Seas, UNCLOS. But President Bill Clinton signed it in 1994, claiming that provisions that attack U.S. interests had been changed, and asked the Senate to ratify it.

The Republican-controlled Senate sat on it. Today, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard Lugar, R-Ind., has been quietly but forcefully pushing LOST through the ratification process under a sense of priorities that mystifies some of his colleagues.

Lugar's committee has given LOST precedence over consideration of other pending international agreements to fight weapons proliferation and terrorism. In October 2003 the liberal Republican held two days of hearings and permitted only treaty supporters to testify.

After a State Department official working on the Senate staff drafted the resolution of ratification, Senate sources tell Insight, the committee "refused" to provide other Senate armed services and intelligence committees with the text and opposed a State Department briefing sought by an Intelligence Committee staffer.

Without listing names of those present, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, by unanimous consent, advised passage of the treaty. Senate sources say proponents planned to bring LOST before the full Senate without debate for a voice vote that would have shielded lawmakers from certain public wrath.

"At issue is the U.N. Law of the Sea Treaty, or LOST, which has been in the works since the 1970s, when the Soviet Union and the so-called Non-Aligned Movement tried to use the United Nations to wrest control of the seas from the United States and its allies.

Under LOST, a global U.N. agency called the International Seabed Authority, or ISA, would take control of the world's oceans, seven-tenths of the earth's surface. The ISA would not be accountable to dues-paying members but would be a self-financing entity imposing a tax on countries that exploit natural resources on the ocean floor."

just pulled the nasty bit.

This sucks newguy. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Your services are valuable.

Yes i have heard of this before a couple months ago. I hadnt seen anything since so i had hoped that it died. This is total BS. No one should control that much of the world's surface without any accountability.

Originally posted by insein
Yes i have heard of this before a couple months ago. I hadnt seen anything since so i had hoped that it died. This is total BS. No one should control that much of the world's surface without any accountability.

Yep!

Forum List

Back