GOP hopefuls remind Iowans they oppose Gay Rights

Apparently, unless you want the government, whether state or federal, to regulate same sex relationships, you are against gay rights.

Personally, I dont see how more government could possibly give me rights.

Just a minor point.

Opposition to same sex marriage is not opposition to gay rights.
How do you figure that? You are opposed to the right of sane, sober taxpaying American citizens to avail themselves of the protection afforded by contract law and you are not opposed to gay rights?

Walk me through your argument please.

House girds for same-sex marriage debate

On the day before the House of Delegates was expected to begin debate on same-sex marriage, lawmakers received a letter from six gay colleagues.
"Vote yes because you know it is the right thing to do," the delegates wrote this morning. "Vote yes because you want to stand on the right side of history. Vote yes because every family in Maryland needs the protections that marriage provides."
This afternoon, opponents of gay marriage from Pennsylvania played bagpipes outside the lawmakers’ offices, displayed a banner that read: "God’s Marriage = 1 man & 1 woman," and encouraged like-minded motorists to honk.
As they prepare to open debate tomorrow on legislation that would allow gay couples to marry, members of the divided House are facing pressure from all sides.
The Senate has already approved the plan. House passage would send the bill to the governor’s desk, where Democrat Martin O’Malley has promised to sign it.
Delegates have heard from hundreds of constituents, received a flood of e-mails from supporters and opponents and, in some cases, struggled internally with how to vote. Several of them — including co-sponsors — have changed their positions. Dozens remain publicly uncommitted.
"The vote is close, probably an even split," said Del. Maggie McIntosh, the most senior of the six openly gay delegates. "A healthy handful of people are still making up their minds."​

Maryland Politics: House girds for same-sex marriage debate - Politics and Policy from Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington - baltimoresun.com

What are "gay rights"? America is one of the most tolerent countries in the world when it comes to homosexuality. You have movies and prime time TV and sex ed in schools promoting homosexuality every day. There are special discrimination laws that favor homosexuals over devout Christians. A Christian landloard would go to jail if he or she refused to rent to sodomites. Nobody is rioting in state capitals over gay rights. People accept the laws and try to cope. A democrat congressman had a homosexual prostitution ring operating out of his apartment and he is still serving in congress. Americans draw the line at redifining marriage to include same sex couples, that's all. You sissies don't need to get your panties in a bunch about it, there are plenty of other issues to worry about.

Just a minor point.

How do you figure that? You are opposed to the right of sane, sober taxpaying American citizens to avail themselves of the protection afforded by contract law and you are not opposed to gay rights?

Oh... I am all for gay couples having the same exact governmental 'rights' as married couples... joint filing for taxation, inheritance rights, power of attorney for emergencies, etc.... just not the government being involved in marriage or setting a definition of what it is from the liberal mindset

Just a minor point.

And what "rights" are gays bitching about now?

They have the same "rights" as the rest of us.

And, just when did opposition to same sex marriage equate to being against "gay rights".

It's so ludicrous to see Gingrich address this group about the sanctity of marriage. This man who has cheated on three wives.
How many wives has Trump had?

Just a minor point.

Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO), there are 1,138[1] statutory provisions in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, and privileges. These rights and responsibilities apply only to male-female couples, as the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

Prior to the enactment of DOMA, the General Accounting Office (as the GAO was then called) identified 1,049[2] federal statutory provisions in which benefits, rights, and privileges are contingent on marital status or in which marital status is a factor. An update was published in 2004 by the GAO covering the period between September 21, 1996 (when DOMA was signed into law) and December 31, 2003. The update identified 120 new statutory provisions involving marital status, and 31 statutory provisions involving marital status repealed or amended in such a way as to eliminate marital status as a factor.

Rick Santorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A controversy arose following Santorum's statements about homosexuality in an interview with the Associated Press that was published on April 20, 2003. In response to a question about how to prevent sexual abuse of children by priests, Santorum said the priests were engaged in "a basic homosexual relationship" with "post-pubescent men", and went on to say that he had "a problem with homosexual acts"; that the right to privacy, as detailed in Griswold v. Connecticut, "doesn't exist in my opinion in the United States Constitution"; that, "whether it's polygamy, whether it's adultery, whether it's sodomy, all of those things are antithetical to a healthy, stable, traditional family"; and that sodomy laws properly exist to prevent acts that "undermine the basic tenets of our society and the family".

Social conservatives drop out of CPAC because gay Republicans are participating - Last Word

Some of the guests invited to the 2011 event are Mitch McConnell, Rick Santorum, Jim DeMint, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, and of course Ann Coulter -- each one standing opposed to gay marriage, gays in the military, gay adoption, or other gay rights issues.

Bryan Fischer: Pawlenty: would reinstate ban on homosexuals in military - RIGHTLYCONCERNED.COM

Pawlenty says voters should toss pro-gay judges | Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

Pawlenty vows veto of same-sex measure - Topix

Gov. Tim Pawlenty said Wednesday that he would veto a bill aimed at giving same-sex partners the same end-of-life rights as married couples, saying the bill was unnecessary and would "stoke up a political controversy on a hot-button issue."

Minnesota Gov. Pawlenty on 2012 - Newsweek

Question:

Let me ask you about social issues your party has been dealing with. In her book, Palin claims that McCain's handlers wanted her to be silent about her belief in creationism. How would you describe your view?

Answer:

I can tell you how we handle it in Minnesota. We leave it to the local school districts. We don't mandate a curriculum or an approach. We allow for something called "intelligent design" to be discussed as a comparative theory. It doesn't have to be in science class.

Question:

Where are you personally?

Answer:

Well, you know I'm an evangelical Christian. I believe that God created everything and that he is who he says he was. The Bible says that he created man and woman; it doesn't say that he created an amoeba and then they evolved into man and woman. But there are a lot of theologians who say that the ideas of evolution and creationism aren't necessarily inconsistent; that he could have "created" human beings over time.

Question:

I know you are opposed to gay marriage, but what about medical benefits for same-sex couples?

Answer:

I have not supported that.

Question:

Answer:

My general view on all of this is that marriage is to be defined as being a union of a man and a woman. Marriage should be elevated in our society at a special level. I don't think all domestic relationships are the equivalent of traditional marriage. Early on we decided as a country and as a state that there was value in a man and a woman being married in terms of impact on children and the like, and we want to encourage that.

Donald Trump Doesn't Want Fags To Have Shared Medical Benefits, Either / Queerty

What I find disgusting is these serial divorcees like Trump and Newt trying to talk about the sanctity of marriage.

The sanctity of marriage died with no fault divorce.

The government should get out of marriage altogether. They have no right to determine who can and cannot get married. DoMA is unconstitutional. No more tax breaks for married couples. No more marriage licenses, which are just a tax on marriage. Let the churches decide who they are and are not going to marry and let the states recognize them for legal purposes.

The sanctity of marriage died with no fault divorce.

The government should get out of marriage altogether. They have no right to determine who can and cannot get married. DoMA is unconstitutional. No more tax breaks for married couples. No more marriage licenses, which are just a tax on marriage. Let the churches decide who they are and are not going to marry and let the states recognize them for legal purposes.

There only became a "sanctity of marriage" when people started do it for love. That's been fairly recent. Mostly, marriage has been for money or the consolidation of power. That's just "history".

I'm all for same sex marriage. If people are really stupid enough to enter into a contract that's essentially economic slavery, more power to them.

BUT...

I am AGAINST a special, protected class. You should NOT have to be Gay or have to SAY you're Gay to marry a same sex partner. Heteros should also be able to marry same sex partners.

I'm all for same sex marriage. If people are really stupid enough to enter into a contract that's essentially economic slavery, more power to them.

BUT...

I am AGAINST a special, protected class. You should NOT have to be Gay or have to SAY you're Gay to marry a same sex partner. Heteros should also be able to marry same sex partners.

Why would they want to?

BUT...

Why would they want to?
What difference does it make? If they want to they should be able to.

Do they ask hetero male/female couples why they want to marry? No.

Do they ask Gay same-sex couples why they want to marry? No.

Should they ask same sex couples if they are Gay? NO. It's none of their fucking business.

Forum List

Back