GOP Govenor of Ohio rebuked by CEO of Honeywell on Meet the Press

Again, exactly when did the Dems have a veto proof majority? I asked this question four hours ago. So far no takers.
I'm not a Dem or plan on voting for Obama, I'm just sick and tired of the complete BS people post!

OK here's the answer,,,the last time any party held a veto proof majority of Congress was from 1974-1978. To have a veto proof Congress a party must have a two-thirds majority in both the House and the Senate.

why would the dems need a veto proof majority?:confused:

Damned if I know!:confused:
It was brought up in a couple of posts on this thread and on other threads, it was used I believe as a point that the Dems didn't stop Obama from spending like a drunken GWB on steroids or something like that.
I just get tired of people just making stuff up that defy reality. It's probably from listening to way too many talking heads, who aren't experts in anything (MSNBC/Fox/talk radio;etc). :eusa_liar:

Here's one instance: From senate.gov, Healthcare vote

Grouped By Vote Position

YEAs ---60

Akaka (D-HI)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Begich (D-AK)
Bennet (D-CO)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Burris (D-IL)
Byrd (D-WV)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Conrad (D-ND)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)

Franken (D-MN)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Hagan (D-NC)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kaufman (D-DE)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kirk (D-MA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Merkley (D-OR)

Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schumer (D-NY)
Shaheen (D-NH)
Specter (D-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Udall (D-CO)
Udall (D-NM)
Warner (D-VA)
Webb (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---39

Alexander (R-TN)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Bennett (R-UT)
Bond (R-MO)
Brownback (R-KS)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)

DeMint (R-SC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Kyl (R-AZ)
LeMieux (R-FL)

Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Snowe (R-ME)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)

Not Voting - 1

Bunning (R-KY)

That is not a two-thirds vote. There are 100 Senators, 60 votes is not two-thirds, 67 votes is two-thirds.

Not quite following you. Either party needs 60 to have a filibuster proof vote.

O was never going to veto, which require a two thirds majority, his own parties passage of any bill.

LordBrownTrout, go back and read the previous posts in this thread and look for "veto proof majority". Posts 6 & 14

Last edited:
John Kasich, GOP gov of Ohio said the uncertainty in taxes is the problem. The CEO of Honeywell said, no, it's the uncertainty in demand.

Republicans have completely forgotten our economy is driven by "supply and demand". If there is no demand, there will be no supply which means "NO JOBS". Part of Government creating an "environment" for jobs, is "creating something". In this case, our old and out of date infrastructure. Republicans say, if you build a bridge, after it's built, that's the end of the job. In fact, after it's built, it's only the beginning. Now communities are connected, something that drives economic growth.

Republican Scott Brown had it right, lobbying for hi-speed internet in the business community in his state from the Obama stimulus package.

The "job creators" aren't just making jobs because jobs is a nice thing to do or because we cut all their taxes and now they are grateful. Because business is not a charity. If you have a demand, they will find a way to squeeze profit out of that demand. And with that demand comes jobs to create a supply. With no demand, no jobs.

What fuels a demand? We have already had the greatest "redistribution" of wealth from the middle class to the top 1% in the history of the world. The middle class needs money. The best way to get money is to have a job. The best possible jobs right now are rebuilding our country's infrastructure. Roads, bridges, electrical grid, dams, high speed internet, green energy and yes, even drilling for oil.

Where will that money come from? If those companies and rich people want to have a safe and secure country to keep their money, they better be paying for it, because if they just take and take, people will get fed up and take back.

Remember, those people can buy the best politicians money can buy. The middle class only has votes.

And yes Virginia, it really is that "simple".

I think we explained this to you more than once, the government cannot create demand.

If its that simple why is the Obama Krugman Stimulus an Epic Fail?

It didn't fail. But it could have been better. The filibuster party never would have let it pass unless it was close to half being tax cuts.

If tax cuts were the answer, the Bush tax cuts, plus the Bush tax extensions plus the twelve largest corporations paying nothing in taxes and getting billions in free money plus the oil subsidies would have given us the best economy ever. And it did. For the companies. Even you have to admit that.

The other problem, the filibuster party would never have let it pass with the Federal Government in control of the money. They insisted it be passed to the states. Where the states used it to balance their budgets and didn't build much of anything.

However, money did go to projects:

Stimulating Hypocrisy: 114 Lawmakers Block Recovery While Taking Credit For Its Success

GOP governors take the (stimulus) money and run

Frank, why don't you ever spend a few minutes to look up the truth? It's not like it's a secret. Why are you afraid of learning? Actually knowing what's going on has a calming effect. Try it some time.

It didn't fail? Krugman said it did.

John Kasich, GOP gov of Ohio said the uncertainty in taxes is the problem. The CEO of Honeywell said, no, it's the uncertainty in demand.

Republicans have completely forgotten our economy is driven by "supply and demand". If there is no demand, there will be no supply which means "NO JOBS". Part of Government creating an "environment" for jobs, is "creating something". In this case, our old and out of date infrastructure. Republicans say, if you build a bridge, after it's built, that's the end of the job. In fact, after it's built, it's only the beginning. Now communities are connected, something that drives economic growth.

Republican Scott Brown had it right, lobbying for hi-speed internet in the business community in his state from the Obama stimulus package.

The "job creators" aren't just making jobs because jobs is a nice thing to do or because we cut all their taxes and now they are grateful. Because business is not a charity. If you have a demand, they will find a way to squeeze profit out of that demand. And with that demand comes jobs to create a supply. With no demand, no jobs.

What fuels a demand? We have already had the greatest "redistribution" of wealth from the middle class to the top 1% in the history of the world. The middle class needs money. The best way to get money is to have a job. The best possible jobs right now are rebuilding our country's infrastructure. Roads, bridges, electrical grid, dams, high speed internet, green energy and yes, even drilling for oil.

Where will that money come from? If those companies and rich people want to have a safe and secure country to keep their money, they better be paying for it, because if they just take and take, people will get fed up and take back.

Remember, those people can buy the best politicians money can buy. The middle class only has votes.

And yes Virginia, it really is that "simple".

The best possible jobs right now are rebuilding our country's infrastructure. Roads, bridges, electrical grid, dams, high speed internet, green energy and yes, even drilling for oil.
Here we go again....another push for a Stimulus Plan.I have been hearing more and more of this lately.Please tell us that there are shovel ready jobs just sitting there,just waiting for the government to spend another 100 Trillion Dollars to create like 10 jobs....
You guys are killing me over here. :evil:

Ask the Republicans. 114 of them took the money. Rick Perry used the money to balance the Texas state budget. Too bad the Republicans were involved. Everything they touch turns to shit. Because "Government doesn't work". They should know. They broke it.

Strange thing, that money went exactly where it was supposed to go, and many Democratic governors did the same thing. By the way, that money did not balance the budget, it just put off cuts to education for a few years.

When exactly did the Dems have a veto proof majority? I've seen this claim quite a few times on these boards. I think those claims are wrong.
To have a veto proof Congress means that a party controls 2/3s of both chambers.

They had a veto proof majority because Obama would not veto anything they passed.

Again, exactly when did the Dems have a veto proof majority? I asked this question four hours ago. So far no takers.
I'm not a Dem or plan on voting for Obama, I'm just sick and tired of the complete BS people post!

OK here's the answer,,,the last time any party held a veto proof majority of Congress was from 1974-1978. To have a veto proof Congress a party must have a two-thirds majority in both the House and the Senate.

veto proof as in the pres. vetoing a bill? yes 2/3's......

I think, that is think, perhaps you might be seeing folks like me who make comments as to the democratic supra majority.....:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back