GOP Goal: To Bring Down Approval Numbers

Well, I imagine they'll probably succeed. After all, they certainly know how to bring down the approval ratings of political parties after doing a bang-up job bringing down their own!

or

Well, the Republicans can't bring their own approval numbers down any further, so they might as well try for the Democrats!

Give me a break jill.. the DEMs are only worried about that shit too... they are not concerned about the country... as evidenced by what they are trying to pass... it is about control

Alternatives have been offered... legit ones... but as stated, the DEMs want power and bigger government controls... and ones like you buy into it hook, line and sinker... and you refuse to look at and acknowledge the many things that HELPED us to be where we are economically... and you refuse to admit that #1 that it is not all government's fault and #2 that more government meddling and power is not the answer

don't shoot the messenger....

as far as I can tell, they've offered nothing beyond what screwed everything up for the last eight years. even people like pat buchanan acknowledge that.

I don't believe it's "government's fault"... I do believe that it is largely (though not solely) the fault of the incompetents who ran the government for the last eight years.

Pat Buchannan is one of the most astute observers of our society that is still on TV.

Like you Jill, I used to think the man was a goosestepping brownshirt.

Then I started reading his books.

He's not.

He is, however, an overt and unapologetic supporter of Western culture and a nationalistic American.

That is often interpeted as racist especially by political competitors seeking to prevent his POV from becoming understood.

It is VERY EASY to parce out a sentence or paragraph from a complex issue which is nuanced, and make your target sound like something other than he really is.

That is, what I believe the Republicans did to Pat when he was running for POTUS.

Since he was questioning the sense of our unqulified support for Isreal, he set himself up to be easily mischaracterized as a NAZI.

I don't think he's a NAZI at ALL.

I don't think he's an anitSemite, either.

Not based on my reading of his books thus far, at least.

Well said - while I do not agree entirely with PB's stance on Israel, his views on border protection, the need to enhance and protect American industry, sound tax policy, etc, are spot on. He has maintained his positions while his former party has transformed into a spineless mush-mouthed version of Democrat-light.

Much of the populism that PB has advocated for two decades running is now returning to the electorate, who are stunned at the loss of personal wealth and freedoms that have taken place in recents months and years.

Pat Buchannan is one of the most astute observers of our society that is still on TV.

He's not.

He is, however, an overt and unapologetic supporter of Western culture and a nationalistic American.

That is often interpeted as racist especially by political competitors seeking to prevent his POV from becoming understood.

It is VERY EASY to parce out a sentence or paragraph from a complex issue which is nuanced, and make your target sound like something other than he really is.

That is, what I believe the Republicans did to Pat when he was running for POTUS.

Since he was questioning the sense of our unqulified support for Isreal, he set himself up to be easily mischaracterized as a NAZI.

Actually, I disagree with Pat Buchanan on almost everything. But he's brilliant and I love listening to him. He's an incredible political strategist and the GOP would do well to listen to him at least strategically. I was once given the honor of responding to him in an OpEd when Eric Breindel was editor of the NY Post (before it was Murdoch's rag). One of my guilty pleasures is watching him on Scarborough's show or debating Rachel Maddow.

I don't have any comments on his mid-east positions except to say his motivations are his own and I'm trying to figure out where I said he's a nazi ;)

Bummer they don't want to fix the mess they made. But it does explain why the wingnuts have been so desperately spewing:

Down Approval Numbers” For Dems
GOP Rep. Patrick McHenry, a key player in helping craft the Republican message, has offered an unusually blunt description of the Republican strategy right now.

McHenry’s description is buried in this new article from National Journal (sub. only):

“We will lose on legislation. But we will win the message war every day, and every week, until November 2010,” said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., an outspoken conservative who has participated on the GOP message teams. “Our goal is to bring down approval numbers for [Speaker Nancy] Pelosi and for House Democrats. That will take repetition. This is a marathon, not a sprint.”

McHenry’s spokesperson, Brock McCleary, tells me his boss is standing by the quote.

McHenry’s description of his party’s goal — to “bring down approval numbers” for Nancy Pelosi and House Dems — is being much talked about today among Congressional Dems. It’s likely that Dems will grab on to the quote today to bolster their charge that Congressional Republicans aren’t interested in playing a constructive role in governing and see their hope for political revival in the eventual failure of the Democratic majority’s policies.

GOP Rep: “Our Goal Is To Bring Down Approval Numbers” For Dems | The Plum Line

Is that similar to the Dems focusing on Rush Limbaugh to divert people's attention from the policies they are trying to enact?

Not to mention Carville and Begala's last big effort to bring down GWB's approval ratings when they were too high for the DNC. Jillian can say all she wants about it being "just the GOP" but I rec'd the emails from the DNC about the last admin, and how voters needed to take action to make sure GWB's approval number shrank. This is all a bunch of "do as I say,not as I do" crapola..

Most Americans get their news from what is reported by the major media networks. As long as these networks spin and report the news as favorable, Americans will think this administration is moving in the right direction and the polls will reflect the same. So without accurate and balance reporting, you will get what I perceive as polling data for dummies. If the Republicans attempt to bring down some certain high profile individuals, they will only get as far as the mass media allows them. We know Pelosi and company have plenty of baggage, but their agenda is supported by the media, so you will not see daily reporting of their misdoings. Only those people who have been paying attention and make an effort to get the facts from unbiased sources, know what is really going on. The Republicans will have a hard time getting Americans to hear their message. But as you start hearing more big name Obama supporters (like Warren Buffet) criticize his policies, then you will see more Americans going negative. Funny, I don't think Obama will have press secretary, Robert Gibbs slam Buffet, like he did Jim Cramer and Rick Santelli. And to think Cramer was an Obama supporter. Looks like Obama is prepared to eat his own.

He's not.

Actually, I disagree with Pat Buchanan on almost everything.
That statement deserves some clarification. Specifically, what issues do you find his POV objectionable, Jill?

But he's brilliant and I love listening to him.

Well he's no Bill Buckely or Noam Chomsky, but he's damned smart.

He's an incredible political strategist and the GOP would do well to listen to him at least strategically.

Pray they don't, if you're a Democratic partisan.

I was once given the honor of responding to him in an OpEd when Eric Breindel was editor of the NY Post (before it was Murdoch's rag).

Cool! About what issue?

One of my guilty pleasures is watching him on Scarborough's show or debating Rachel Maddow.

Didn't see it.

I don't have any comments on his mid-east positions except to say his motivations are his own and I'm trying to figure out where I said he's a nazi ;)

Oh, you didn't...his own party pinned that false charge on him.

It was to that general charge to which I was responding.

If I seemed like teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, blame it on my enthusiastic defence of somebody whose character, I think, has been very unjustly besmirched.

Last edited:
Sorry, Dave...I can't take you seriously when you say to repeal a law that forces banks to lend money. Such a law doesn't exist.

Community Reinvestment Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Where is the law that forces banks to loan money?

The CRA was put into practice to ensure that banks made these loans that would generally NOT be made otherwise because of the risk involved...

You can argue that the government does not FORCE you to pay taxes and that it is a VOLUNTARY system.... but unlike a certain moron politician, everyone knows that it is forced whether the law directly states it or not

Bummer they don't want to fix the mess they made. But it does explain why the wingnuts have been so desperately spewing:

GOP Rep. Patrick McHenry, a key player in helping craft the Republican message, has offered an unusually blunt description of the Republican strategy right now.

McHenry’s description is buried in this new article from National Journal (sub. only):

“We will lose on legislation. But we will win the message war every day, and every week, until November 2010,” said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., an outspoken conservative who has participated on the GOP message teams. “Our goal is to bring down approval numbers for [Speaker Nancy] Pelosi and for House Democrats. That will take repetition. This is a marathon, not a sprint.”

McHenry’s spokesperson, Brock McCleary, tells me his boss is standing by the quote.

McHenry’s description of his party’s goal — to “bring down approval numbers” for Nancy Pelosi and House Dems — is being much talked about today among Congressional Dems. It’s likely that Dems will grab on to the quote today to bolster their charge that Congressional Republicans aren’t interested in playing a constructive role in governing and see their hope for political revival in the eventual failure of the Democratic majority’s policies.

See now... that's just the sort of thing I love to hear... :D

Personally I think it was a poor statement and stance to have

The goal should be to show that as conservatives they will not support these shit policies whatsoever.. and that when they fail, that they would have the track record of being against these stupid things all along

Approval numbers don't mean shit.. and why this guy would focus on that is beyond me

They are focused on approval numbers because that is what speaks to the 2010 midterm elections. They don't care about this country....

and they may not support Obama's policies, but they haven't offered any alternatives aside from the ones that led to this mess in the first place.

The GOP isn't conservative... they are reactionaries and have been for at least the last ten to twelve years, if not longer.
WRONG AGAIN

they DO care about this country, thats why we need them to WIN in 2010

Is that similar to the Dems focusing on Rush Limbaugh to divert people's attention from the policies they are trying to enact?

Not to mention Carville and Begala's last big effort to bring down GWB's approval ratings when they were too high for the DNC. Jillian can say all she wants about it being "just the GOP" but I rec'd the emails from the DNC about the last admin, and how voters needed to take action to make sure GWB's approval number shrank. This is all a bunch of "do as I say,not as I do" crapola..
Jillian is a hypocrite

And we KNOW you leftwingnuts didn't spend 8 years doing EXACTLY the same thing incessantly smearing Bush.

Hypocrites.:cuckoo:

What spewing? You mean people on the right are behaving EXACTLY as you did for 8 years? Say it ain't so.

you guys should be thrilled......you will get all the credit.....

Just imagine, the Republicans want Democrats to lose! How unpatriotic. Gag me.

On the other hand, those not so biased are very concerned about the spending from the past administration and the rapid increase of the same by the current.

On the other hand, those not so biased are very concerned about the spending from the past administration and the rapid increase of the same by the current.

didn't all the dems want the pubs to lose.....

yup, they sure did
they even danced about it

yup, they sure did
they even danced about it

i recall that being called patriotic

Last I heard, they were doing their damnedest to put them in jail on whatever shit they could stick to a wall.

Last I heard, they were doing their damnedest to put them in jail on whatever shit they could stick to a wall.
and they threw a lot of shit
just not much of it stuck

Forum List

Back