GOP fought against Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. But GOP policies started the "great debt".

GOP fought tooth and nail against Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Social Security - the greatest anti poverty program in the history of the world.

Republicans said these programs will bankrupt the United States. That was their reason. The GOP insists they were fighting for fiscal sanity against the "tax and spend" Democrats.

Isn't it ironic that it was the Bush Tax Cuts that took us down the road to unsustainable deficits? First trillions in tax cuts that did not create jobs. Then the GOP helping business move millions of jobs overseas which led to the closings of tens of thousands of factories costing this country trillions more in revenue.

Then the fiscally sane GOP cut taxes by trillions while waging two wars costing even more trillions.

And they are so ashamed, they blame it on Obama. They aren't even man enough to stand up for what they did. This is why they have to be defeated. Who could vote for a party that is so wrong again and again. Any Republican who gets Social Security should be ashamed.
You can point to the trillions that you say the repubs have cost us and yet the very programs you cite have future unfunded liabilities by some estimates over 200 Trillion. I guess the repubs were right.

When it comes to shipping jobs overseas you're just plain wrong. I've been in mfg all my life and can honestly say the dems have waged war on us for the last 40+ years. It's impossible to get people on the left to acknowledge that adding new layers of regulation day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade has repercussions. We have always faced higher labor costs, energy costs, shipping costs, tax rates, the list goes on, than our foreign competition.
The constant never ending increase in regulatory burdens just added to manufacturing's demise.
You did it. You drank the swill. Worse, you believed it.
Name the regulations that freak you out.
I didn't drink the swill, I lived it.

Name the regulations? Sorry I'd have to quit my job and hire an assistant to do that. I will give you an example. Every year I am required to have sound study done in my operating areas to see if hearing protection is required. Cost me $3800 this year(goes up every year). Sounds logical right? Well I have required hearing protection in those areas for the last 27 years.
Big signs everywhere "Hearing Protection Required In This Area". $3800 out of my safety budget that accomplishes nothing.

I'll give you another. OSHA wants my "setup" personnel to "lock out" the equipment they are setting. By lockout I mean place a lock on the electrical box to prevent activating the equipment during setup. Well guess what, you can't set the machine without power. The ram is powered, the hydraulic lines are powered, the cushions are supplied by the hydraulics, the light curtains require power. Try explaining this to an OSHA agent that hasn't the slightest idea of what piece of equipment they are standing in front of.

I always like to contrast dealing with some one like OSHA with dealing with local fire inspectors. The firemen walk in say "I don't like that fix it". I say "yes sir". I fix it. Case closed. They love me, I love them. OSHA shows up they take notes for a week and a half, leave and 4 months later I get a fine in the mail. I spend a couple of months trying to figure out what they're talking about, I hire an attorney, I hire a safety consultant. We then go into an office and try to explain why the 23 year old, who has an english degree, that they sent into my shop is wrong. Of course I'm now dealing with her boss that graduated 12 years earlier with a degree in sociology. If I'm not satisfied I can go to court and have a judge(who naturally is a lawyer) decide if I, my safety consultant and staff with a combined 180 years of experience on this very equipment is right or the fed employees with their fine vocabulary and understanding of social justice are correct. Guess which way it generally turns out. To this day every time my people setup a machine I'm breaking federal law. It's my understanding that setting this equipment is legal in Mexico.

I was a life and health insurance executive in the 1970's. One of my clients was an employer in the upper Midwest. They ran a rendering company. By that, I mean that they were in a rural location, and people would haul their dead cows and horses to them, and they would put them in a giant machine and grind them up. Some of these animals , like goats, ate metal, so the machines had magnets in them to separate that out so the blades would not be damaged. One day, I got a call from them. They had lost an employee. He had gone into a new machine to work on the magnets, and somehow the machine was turned on. They buried him in a Crisco can. i guess that they didn't have "lockouts".

GOP fought tooth and nail against Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Social Security - the greatest anti poverty program in the history of the world.

Republicans said these programs will bankrupt the United States. That was their reason. The GOP insists they were fighting for fiscal sanity against the "tax and spend" Democrats.

Isn't it ironic that it was the Bush Tax Cuts that took us down the road to unsustainable deficits? First trillions in tax cuts that did not create jobs. Then the GOP helping business move millions of jobs overseas which led to the closings of tens of thousands of factories costing this country trillions more in revenue.

Then the fiscally sane GOP cut taxes by trillions while waging two wars costing even more trillions.

And they are so ashamed, they blame it on Obama. They aren't even man enough to stand up for what they did. This is why they have to be defeated. Who could vote for a party that is so wrong again and again. Any Republican who gets Social Security should be ashamed.
You can point to the trillions that you say the repubs have cost us and yet the very programs you cite have future unfunded liabilities by some estimates over 200 Trillion. I guess the repubs were right.

When it comes to shipping jobs overseas you're just plain wrong. I've been in mfg all my life and can honestly say the dems have waged war on us for the last 40+ years. It's impossible to get people on the left to acknowledge that adding new layers of regulation day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade has repercussions. We have always faced higher labor costs, energy costs, shipping costs, tax rates, the list goes on, than our foreign competition.
The constant never ending increase in regulatory burdens just added to manufacturing's demise.

Name the regulations? Sorry I'd have to quit my job and hire an assistant to do that. I will give you an example. Every year I am required to have sound study done in my operating areas to see if hearing protection is required. Cost me $3800 this year(goes up every year). Sounds logical right? Well I have required hearing protection in those areas for the last 27 years.
Big signs everywhere "Hearing Protection Required In This Area". $3800 out of my safety budget that accomplishes nothing.

I'll give you another. OSHA wants my "setup" personnel to "lock out" the equipment they are setting. By lockout I mean place a lock on the electrical box to prevent activating the equipment during setup. Well guess what, you can't set the machine without power. The ram is powered, the hydraulic lines are powered, the cushions are supplied by the hydraulics, the light curtains require power. Try explaining this to an OSHA agent that hasn't the slightest idea of what piece of equipment they are standing in front of.

I always like to contrast dealing with some one like OSHA with dealing with local fire inspectors. The firemen walk in say "I don't like that fix it". I say "yes sir". I fix it. Case closed. They love me, I love them. OSHA shows up they take notes for a week and a half, leave and 4 months later I get a fine in the mail. I spend a couple of months trying to figure out what they're talking about, I hire an attorney, I hire a safety consultant. We then go into an office and try to explain why the 23 year old, who has an english degree, that they sent into my shop is wrong. Of course I'm now dealing with her boss that graduated 12 years earlier with a degree in sociology. If I'm not satisfied I can go to court and have a judge(who naturally is a lawyer) decide if I, my safety consultant and staff with a combined 180 years of experience on this very equipment is right or the fed employees with their fine vocabulary and understanding of social justice are correct. Guess which way it generally turns out. To this day every time my people setup a machine I'm breaking federal law. It's my understanding that setting this equipment is legal in Mexico.

I was a life and health insurance executive in the 1970's. One of my clients was an employer in the upper Midwest. They ran a rendering company. By that, I mean that they were in a rural location, and people would haul their dead cows and horses to them, and they would put them in a giant machine and grind them up. Some of these animals , like goats, ate metal, so the machines had magnets in them to separate that out so the blades would not be damaged. One day, I got a call from them. They had lost an employee. He had gone into a new machine to work on the magnets, and somehow the machine was turned on. They buried him in a Crisco can. i guess that they didn't have "lockouts".
Oh I understand. They have a time and place. That's really my problem with OSHA. They don't understand my equipment, thus they don't understand when a lockout is necessary. We have lockout protocol on every piece of equipment in the building.

So you think hearing protection is a bad thing? Yea, until you lost it. Huh? What did you say? A what? A bus behind ........................

So you think hearing protection is a bad thing? Yea, until you lost it. Huh? What did you say? A what? A bus behind ........................
Yeah. That's why I've required hearing protection for the last 27 yrs. Typical govt. Cost me $3800 to inform me of something I already knew and have already addressed. What's next a study to find out that if running some one over with one of my forklifts might cause a problem? Gee maybe then I could train my forklift drivers not to run anyone over.

Here's a joke that seems appropriate.

A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Montana when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, RayBan sunglasses and YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, “If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?”

Bud looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, “Sure, why not?”

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany …

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer, turns to the cowboy and says, “You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves.”

“That’s right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves,” says Bud.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Bud says to the young man, “Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?”

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, “Okay, why not?”

“You’re a Congressman for the U.S. Government”, says Bud.

“Wow! That’s correct,” says the yuppie, “but how did you guess that?”

“No guessing required.” answered the cowboy. “You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are, and you don’t know a thing about how working people make a living – or about cows, for that matter. This is a herd of sheep.

Now give me back my dog.

Forum List

Back