GOP Economic Policies Under Heavy Fire

[It wasn't a trillion, it was $821 billion and it created or saved 3 million jobs. The stimulus kept us from a Depression so it was money well spent...unlike the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan (which got us to the brink in the first place)

So you think we should have just ignored that 9/11 thingee?

Iraq had nothing to do with that "9/11 thingee" and, quite obviously, sending troops into Afghanistan wasn't the proper response to that "thingee" either...since all it took was intelligence and a small handful of Navy Seals to get the guy responsible.

Yeah, I guess it saved the jobs of union thugs and lazy government workers... at the expense fo the rest of us. But Unemployment still went up despite it. Or probably because of it.

Union "thugs"? Really Joe, union "thugs"?

As for those "lazy government workers" (I just happen to be one of those), you might want to rethink that...there has been a loss of 500,000 government workers thanks to budget cutting across the United States. THAT contributes considerably to our unemployment numbers. Remember the Boehner saying that if 200,000 jobs are lost "so be it"?

Last time I checked, government jobs were still JOBS. Anybody else hiring (in the US) right now despite sitting on TRILLIONS in cash?

Who really thinks that you can invade two countries AND cut taxes?

Who thinks we can pay more people to work and have a healthy economy. Who thinks we can exempt half the population from taxes and not run deficits.

Dragging out that tired canard of "50% don't pay taxes"? You know that's a bullshit line. 47% don't pay Federal income tax. Why is that? Oh right...because they don't make enough income. They DO still pay taxes such as federal payroll taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare, and excise taxes on gasoline, aviation, alcohol and cigarettes, not to mention state or local taxes on sales, income and property.

You didn't answer the question. Is it smart to invade two countries AND cut taxes, yes or no?

I agree with you on manufacturing, but disagree with you on infrastructure. I think we DO need money spent on our infrastructure...to support 21st century technologies. Our broadband infrastructure is 17th in the world. That's pretty pathetic for the country that invented the internet.

It's pathetic that you are worried about "broadband", which is already being replaced by wi-fi. As Ronald Reagan said, "If it moves, Tax it, if it keeps moving, regulate it, if it stops moving, subsidize it."

We are spending billions on infrastructure. Sadly, most of it goes to unionized workers where five guys stand around watching one guy work because those are the union rules.

Gosh, union bashing...how unique :rolleyes:

I must issue a retraction of my previous statement however. The US places 4th.

Report: U.S. Places Fourth Globally For Ultra High-Speed Internet Connections

Still woefully behind other developed nations and it DOES hurt us.

"Our global competitiveness will depend to a great degree on deploying fiber networks or other forms of high-capacity networks, and in that respect, China has gone from virtually nowhere in the world rankings to being right now the largest in the world," said Jim Baller a Washington, D.C., telecom lawyer and a longtime broadband advocate.

Fixing our fraying Internet infrastructure

Oh, and if we are spending so much on infrastructure, why are bridges collapsing?

Infrastructure Report Card

(We get a "D" by the way)

WASHINGTON — The boasts of Congressional Republicans about their cost-cutting victories are ringing hollow to some well-known economists, financial analysts and corporate leaders, including some Republicans, who are expressing increasing alarm over Washington’s new austerity and antitax orthodoxy.

MORE (by Jackie Calmes): G.O.P. on Defensive as Analysts Question Party’s Fiscal Policy

Would these be the same idiots who are praising the democratic policies that are about to send us into a double dip recession?

[It wasn't a trillion, it was $821 billion and it created or saved 3 million jobs. The stimulus kept us from a Depression so it was money well spent...unlike the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan (which got us to the brink in the first place)

Iraq had nothing to do with that "9/11 thingee" and, quite obviously, sending troops into Afghanistan wasn't the proper response to that "thingee" either...since all it took was intelligence and a small handful of Navy Seals to get the guy responsible.

Union "thugs"? Really Joe, union "thugs"?

As for those "lazy government workers" (I just happen to be one of those), you might want to rethink that...there has been a loss of 500,000 government workers thanks to budget cutting across the United States. THAT contributes considerably to our unemployment numbers. Remember the Boehner saying that if 200,000 jobs are lost "so be it"?

Last time I checked, government jobs were still JOBS. Anybody else hiring (in the US) right now despite sitting on TRILLIONS in cash?

Dragging out that tired canard of "50% don't pay taxes"? You know that's a bullshit line. 47% don't pay Federal income tax. Why is that? Oh right...because they don't make enough income. They DO still pay taxes such as federal payroll taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare, and excise taxes on gasoline, aviation, alcohol and cigarettes, not to mention state or local taxes on sales, income and property.

You didn't answer the question. Is it smart to invade two countries AND cut taxes, yes or no?

It's pathetic that you are worried about "broadband", which is already being replaced by wi-fi. As Ronald Reagan said, "If it moves, Tax it, if it keeps moving, regulate it, if it stops moving, subsidize it."

We are spending billions on infrastructure. Sadly, most of it goes to unionized workers where five guys stand around watching one guy work because those are the union rules.

Gosh, union bashing...how unique :rolleyes:

I must issue a retraction of my previous statement however. The US places 4th.

Report: U.S. Places Fourth Globally For Ultra High-Speed Internet Connections

Still woefully behind other developed nations and it DOES hurt us.

"Our global competitiveness will depend to a great degree on deploying fiber networks or other forms of high-capacity networks, and in that respect, China has gone from virtually nowhere in the world rankings to being right now the largest in the world," said Jim Baller a Washington, D.C., telecom lawyer and a longtime broadband advocate.

Fixing our fraying Internet infrastructure

Oh, and if we are spending so much on infrastructure, why are bridges collapsing?

Infrastructure Report Card

(We get a "D" by the way)

Those losses of government workers is an estimate, None of which involved the federal government, which is the main point.

Forum List

Back