GOP Delegate Suggests Party Recognize Same Sex Unions

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
It's nice to see that the younger generation of Republicans don't intend on being the knuckle dragging neanderthals when it comes to social issues that their elder counterparts have been. I'm also not surprised that this girl hails from New England. We have always been a forward thinking people.

(CNN) -- Barbara Ann Fenton made what was for some a shocking suggestion at one of the most traditionally conservative meetings leading up to the Republican National Convention.

The 31-year-old delegate from Rhode Island formally suggested that her party's ideological manifesto recognize civil unions for same-sex couples as well as straight ones.

"As a Roman Catholic, there's nobody in this room who believes (more than I do) that the definition of marriage is between one man and one woman, but those are my religious beliefs," Fenton said as she made the motion Monday. "This country was founded on the separation of church and state."

She added, "For my own generation, a lot of times homosexuality is not the biggest deal in the world. And that's OK."

GOP friendlier to gay community -- at least behind the scenes - CNN.com

Open that tent. Open it real wide. Don't think about closing it.........even after the nutters accuse you of being "socially liberal".

Otherwise....................you will become obsolete.

It's nice to see that the younger generation of Republicans don't intend on being the knuckle dragging neanderthals when it comes to social issues that their elder counterparts have been. I'm also not surprised that this girl hails from New England. We have always been a forward thinking people.

(CNN) -- Barbara Ann Fenton made what was for some a shocking suggestion at one of the most traditionally conservative meetings leading up to the Republican National Convention.

The 31-year-old delegate from Rhode Island formally suggested that her party's ideological manifesto recognize civil unions for same-sex couples as well as straight ones.

"As a Roman Catholic, there's nobody in this room who believes (more than I do) that the definition of marriage is between one man and one woman, but those are my religious beliefs," Fenton said as she made the motion Monday. "This country was founded on the separation of church and state."

She added, "For my own generation, a lot of times homosexuality is not the biggest deal in the world. And that's OK."

GOP friendlier to gay community -- at least behind the scenes - CNN.com

This has been an option for years. When it's once again clear to the tragically forgetful that there is very little opposition to "civil unions" we'll begin the next full court press for same sex "MARRIAGE" and nothing less.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Forum List

Back