GOP Debate Tonight, who wins?

Who wins GOP Debate Tonight

• Santorum - Former PA Senator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnson - Former NM Governor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Herman Cain gets my vote. A man of vision and strength. A leader. I would have faith in him. I also love Ron Paul's vision but America has become too much of a Nanny State, to go that much forward, which some would consider, backward. Cain is tough. Cain is the man, as of this post. :)

I thought all candidates looked decent. But I think Cain stole the show. He was very impressive and is now clearly on my radar. I liked him a lot tonight.

Well I was the vote predicting T-Paw would win and I was wrong. I would put him third or fourth tonight. I still think he is the most electable of the early starters but he did not shoot out of the gate running for sure.

Ron Paul was Ron Paul and I would put him just ahead of Gov. Tim Pawlenty in the debate. Still no reason to think he is any better off than the last time he ran. Seems determined to be the Republican version of Ralph Nader.

Sen. Rick Santorum was the least likable and oldest school establishment party goober up there. I'd rate him dead last tonight.

First place for common sense, good ideas and being downright likable had to be businessman Herman Cain running away. He had the most to prove and proved the most. He is the clear winner in my opinion. I'd guess he is also the least known and least funded with the smallest chance sadly.

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary John did OK and did as much as Cain in making me want to hear more and learn more. Not sure where to rank him tonight but he did well. Maybe it's overly optimistic to give him any shot with Paul on the same stage but he really seemed like "Ron Paul without the baggage" and an interesting choice for a possible VP slot.

Good show all in all but the whole thing felt like a teaser trailer for a blockbuster movie that is still nearly a year away from coming out. That's my two cents on the night.

Watched from about 35 minutes in - It was absolutely dismal, here are my thoughts in a nutshell, in order of preference:

- Ron Paul: typical stuff from Ronny here, excellent on foreign policy, pretty good on social issues, dismal on the economy. My favourite of the bunch.
- Gary Johnson: Goofy, awkward, and kinda lame. Good answers on drug policy, and admitted smoking weed. Seems like a nice, honest guy.
- Tim Pawlenty: Very lame and boring on almost everything. Had at most a couple of tolerable moments.
- Herman Cain: A total airhead, had basically nothing to say on his closing statement, and relied entirely on populist slogans.
- Rick Santorum: A total ultra-reactionary asshole. Got tons of applause.

So, "winners" of the debate? From a Republican perspective probably went like this:

1. Santorum/Cain
2. Ron Paul
3. Pawlenty
4. Johnson

Except for maybe Pawlenty or Santorum (pfffft), None of these have a chance in hell.

Lets get some real candidates up there.

Christy/Rubio
Rubio/Christy
Romney/Rubio
Romney/Christy

Watched from about 35 minutes in - It was absolutely dismal, here are my thoughts in a nutshell, in order of preference:

- Ron Paul: typical stuff from Ronny here, excellent on foreign policy, pretty good on social issues, dismal on the economy. My favourite of the bunch.
- Gary Johnson: Goofy, awkward, and kinda lame. Good answers on drug policy, and admitted smoking weed. Seems like a nice, honest guy.
- Tim Pawlenty: Very lame and boring on almost everything. Had at most a couple of tolerable moments.
- Herman Cain: A total airhead, had basically nothing to say on his closing statement, and relied entirely on populist slogans.
- Rick Santorum: A total ultra-reactionary asshole. Got tons of applause.

So, "winners" of the debate? From a Republican perspective probably went like this:

1. Santorum/Cain
2. Ron Paul
3. Pawlenty
4. Johnson
I think I caught the last 35 or 45.

Great analysis, however, according to LUNTZ...the SC Republicans gave it to Cain.

I am a completely unabashed Ron Paul supporter, so I’m rather biased; after watching the South Carolina GOP debate this evening I whole-heartedly believe Ron Paul won the debate. I truly believe that any of the GOP candidates that attended the debate can beat Obama, and that gives me great optimism for the future.

I am going to go on record as saying that Ron Paul is my generation’s- my being babies from The Eighties- Ronald Reagan. Our country is in a dismal financial crisis; we are in a crisis. The price of gas is increasing, the price of food is increasing, the price of everything is increasing, NO!!!! The value of your dollar is DECREASING!!! The Republicans try and exploit the deficit as a political tool, but they allow the spending of trillions on unnecessary military endeavors around the world.

Ron Paul was the only Republican to vote against the Iraqi War. Ron Paul is the only person running who has THIRTY YEARS of political votes supporting one thing: THAT HE MEANS WHAT HE SAYS!!! I have no doubt that if Ron Paul was elected he would do EVERYTHING HE SAYS.

I have spoken to so many Obama supporters that, after having irrefutable video evidence of broken promises shown to them, say ‘Oh, he is just a politician, they all lie, he’s no different than all of them’. Ron Paul has a message that resonates with a lot of people because his message is of freedom and liberty.

All of the flaws and imperfections of this country, it has perfection- yes G*DDAMN perfection in its’ ideals. It is its’ ideals that has allowed all of this prosperity and affluence to occur. The modern age owes a lot to American civilization, we owe a lot. The ideals and principles that allowed all this to occur are under attack, and we desperately need a leader to fight back. Ron Paul is that leader.

But I want to know what you think. I’m born n raised in Atlanta- home of Herman Cain- and I think he could sweep the floor with Obama. I am optimistic about 2012.

Last edited:
I watched the debate but was pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't really a debate at all but was the usual media Q & A. The panel wasn't easy on these guys, but, except for Gary Johnson's last question (the reality show one), they all seemed to have a good idea about what was coming and the answers came across as pretty rehearsed.

Cain came across as his usual competent self and seemed more in command of his convictions than the others but he is the new kid on the block and I think a lot of folks were getting their first look. He appeared the most presidential this time.

None of the candidates I thought had a moment or anything to set the talking heads and message boards buzzing. And I don't think any of them did themselves any damage.

It was Round One without too much action. Nothing decided. A long way to go yet.

what is jaun williams doing there? he's so annoying,,Beavis,Butthead or Bigbird would of been more intreiging and entertaining than Jaun!
I thought it was a good thing. Juan Williams isn't your everyday average liberal loon. He actually has the guts to hold his party accountable. I've seen him many times shake his head in disgust over some things that Obama or someone in his administration has said or done

I like the format of having multiple questioners, from all sides of the political aisle. It adds a lot of intrigue, and it's much better than watching Charlie Gibson or Brian Wiiliams put us to sleep with boring ass BS.

All in all, we need some real candidates......'cause nobody in this group is even near ready. And Paul just needs to give it up.

Forum List

Back