GOP Cuts Could Hit Tsunami Warning System

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Republican Budget Cuts Could Hit Tsunami Warning System - NYTimes.com

A spending bill passed by House Republicans last month could affect the nation’s tsunami monitoring system, which issued warnings in response to last week’s devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan, opponents warn. The plan cuts $126 million from the 2011 budget of the National Weather Service, which runs the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii.

The cuts amount to about 15 percent of the National Weather Service’s $900 million budget, but putting them into effect now would require the agency to reduce spending by nearly 30 percent through the rest of the year.
<more>

Considering the massive amounts of money the government already spends, if a tsunami warning system is a priority, they should cut money elsewhere.

For a start, how about the $105B worth of funding that was spread throughout ObamaCare in little piles of slush?

Last edited:
dumbass.gif

Considering the massive amounts of money the government already spends, if a tsunami warning system is a priority, they should cut money elsewhere.

For a start, how about the $105B worth of funding the was spread throughout ObamaCare in little piles of slush?

Examples?

Or anything that actually helps America is wasted?

A spending bill passed by House Republicans last month could affect the nation’s tsunami monitoring system, which issued warnings in response to last week’s devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan, opponents warn. The plan cuts $126 million from the 2011 budget of the National Weather Service, which runs the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii.

The cuts amount to about 15 percent of the National Weather Service’s $900 million budget, but putting them into effect now would require the agency to reduce spending by nearly 30 percent through the rest of the year.
<more>

Tsunamis only happen in the movies. Who doesn't know that?

Next thing you hear, cuts are going to cause the tsunami. :rolleyes:

Shhh, Republicans don't know what a Tsunami is. They think it goes on Rye with Mayo and Swiss.

SpittySpeaks: Sue Nommy

I was very disappointed that the Sue Nommy was not a new taste sensation. I mean, why call something like this Nommy when it's clearly nothing to eat at all?
A friend of the Human's* took this shot today from an office building in Emeryville. The Human thinks it is quite interesting but purrsonally I think it's pretty much of a yawner.

:eusa_whistle:

Search Suspended for California Man Swept Into Sea By Tsunami - ABC News

The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a man reported washed out to sea after he and two friends went to the California coast to photograph the tsunami wave spawned by the Japanese earthquake, officials said.

Hawaii's tsunami damage assessment continues | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

The tally of Hawaii's damage from last week's tsunami has reached tens of millions of dollars and it's still climbing.

Hawaii tsunami damages jump to tens of millions - U.S. news - msnbc.com

HONOLULU — Lost homes, sunken boats and damaged piers caused tsunami damage estimates to jump into the tens of millions of dollars in Hawaii and California.

In California, a state official estimated that statewide damage from last week's surge exceeds $40 million.
Mike Dayton, acting secretary of the Emergency Management Agency, gave the estimate after touring the battered Santa Cruz Harbor, where 18 vessels sank, about 100 were damaged and another 12 remained unaccounted for.
The damage in Santa Cruz Harbor alone is estimated at $17 million.

=============================

And dumb ass Republicans laugh and laugh and laugh. What do you need a Tsunami warning system for, when it happened in Japan? Then they laugh and laugh at stupid "big government". I say, tell the Democrats, let stupid drown so we can laugh and laugh and.....

Instead of the millions that would have died without it.

And Republicans laugh and laugh and laugh. The hysterical cackling of the maddest of the loons. All that cackling and they lay eggs right on cue.

And Republicans laugh and laugh and laugh. The hysterical cackling of the maddest of the loons. All that cackling and they lay eggs right on cue.

you realize that scientists made the nuclear plant right ?

<more>

Ive done research work for NOAA for many years and I also recieve funding from NOAA. Although I think NOAA is one of the most important agencies of our government, I myself have seen great waste. We have a government that spends too much. We need to make cuts somewhere. The tsunami monitoring system is a great tool, but I assure you, just like any other government program, you can make massive cuts in it, and it will still work well.
To fix this huge problem, we have to make cuts. As a conservative, I support the GOP proposing those cuts, even if it means I lose my NOAA funding.

you realize that scientists made the nuclear plant right ?

Absolutely. And they never pretended to have all the answers, unlike Republicans. Republicans insist they have ALL the answers and can't name a single one. Of course, all their answers come from a single book.

It's ridiculous and absurd to cut needful programs.

But leave it to the GOP and Conservatives to embrace to ridiculous and absurd.

Forum List

Back