GOP Blocks DRILL Bill

That is only one way to do it, it can also be mined, and then heated above ground. Clearly we need to try to figure out a way to develope this stuff. 800 billion barrels is to much to ignore.

way too much to ignore, i do agree....100 years worth if correct and if *it all can be extracted....we just need to be careful on the water because that is a limited resouse too, drinking water that is.....so, we don't want to be stupid on this.....

i'd rather use a horse and buggy and have water to drink and grow food

than oil/gasoline and a car and no water!

care

Last edited:
way too much to ignore, i do agree....100 years worth if correct and it all can be extracted....we just need to be careful on the water because that is a limited resouse too, drinking water that is.....so, we don't want to be stupid on this.....

i'd rather use a horse and buggy and have water to drink and grow food

than oil/gasoline and a car and no water!

care

Yep, that is why I think the Mining method would make more sense than the heat it in ground the pump it out method.

And that is 100 years of supplying all our needs, I think we could be off of oil sooner than 100 years. Say we could be off it in 25 years. Then we could actually sell 3/4ths of this stuff on the open market. Imagine the US going from he biggest user, to a huge provider of oil. :)

Ahh, the next line said the USGS survey found up to 10.3 Billion in ANWR. So how could a find of 4.3 billion be the biggest IT ever found if IT found 10.3 Billion in ANWR.

not to mention IT Said in 1995 it was 151 Billion barrels, and IT also did the survey of the Green river shale which ITsays is 800 Billion to 1.5 Trillion barrels.

Do the math on that one :)

hmmmm. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I think the last article I linked said 151 million not 151 billion. So, maybe there was a misprint. I also think some confusion is what is Technically Recoverable vs. what is there. So, while there may be more oil in the find, the only part that is technically recoverable now is 4.3 billion.

I'm not sure about the ANWR part.

it's the agency that does the surveys and gives them to the oil companies to analyze isn't it and has been the agency to do this for decades? they do surveys on the whole world!!!!

Welcome to the USGS - U.S. Geological Survey

new find in artic, 90 billion

I thought oil was the result of dead dinosaurs or something, right? How were there so many dinosaurs at the north pole?

I thought oil was the result of dead dinosaurs or something, right? How were there so many dinosaurs at the north pole?

Actually that is a myth.

Side view of a typical diatom, the energy-trapping organism generally thought to be the origin of oil.
photo copyright 2001 by Dee Breger at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

In spite of some popular misconceptions, oil doesn't come from dead dinosaurs. In fact, most scientists agree that oil comes from creatures the size of a pinhead. These one-celled creatures, known as diatoms, aren't really plants, but share one very important characteristic with them - they take light from the sun and convert it into energy. (Humans can't do this - this is why you have to eat your veggies!)
Diatoms float in the top few meters of the oceans (and lakes, for that matter - which is part of the reason why not ALL oil comes from ocean deposits!) and also happen to be a major source of food for many forms of ocean swimmers. Their skeletons are chemically very similar to sand - in fact, they are made of the same material (silica). Diatoms produce a kind of oil by themselves - both to store chemical energy from photosynthesis and to increase their ability to float. But this small amount of oil still needs to become concentrated and mature before it can be taken from the ground and used as fuel.

http://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/systems/energy_capture/capture.html

Last edited:
I think the last article I linked said 151 million not 151 billion. So, maybe there was a misprint. I also think some confusion is what is Technically Recoverable vs. what is there. So, while there may be more oil in the find, the only part that is technically recoverable now is 4.3 billion.

I'm not sure about the ANWR part.

Maybe?

Techie, what is the point of spreading disinformation? We either want a fix or we want to beat the shit out of each other...I vote for a fix. Perhaps we should stop being knee-jerk koolaid drinkers...hmm?

Maybe?

Techie, what is the point of spreading disinformation? We either want a fix or we want to beat the shit out of each other...I vote for a fix. Perhaps we should stop being knee-jerk koolaid drinkers...hmm?

Not trying to spread disinformation. I actually have a job, so I can't spend too much time trying to solve the world's problems. I do the best I can in the time allotted to sift through the wheat and chaff on the Internet and provide something that is accurate and readable. I did go back after Jillian's post and review other potential sources.

But, do note, I do post links. Everyone is free to evaluate them and/or research a point for themselves. And, I vote for a fix too.

Forum List

Back