GOP big ambitions face daunting obsticles

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/us/politics/05policy.html?_r=1&ref=politics

So if I were a federal employee, I would be prepared to take long extended leaves, when the GOP shuts down government, AGAIN. That is how they try to convince people they are saving money. They shut down the federal government.

But it never works out, because sooner or later, everyone figures out that they are not actually saving anything. They are just doing what they do best, OBSTRUCT.

THE PARTY OF NO RULES.

I think that Newt's shutdown of government and the reaction of the public will insure that they aren't dumb enough to do that again.

But certainly the plan is to allow the Dems to do nothing that will really deal with the economy.

The GOP's best interests are served right now if Americans suffer.

They often are, come to think of it, but in this case it's a far less complex stretch to see why that is the case.

The game plan now is to obstruct anything that might work, to propose the same old supply side solutions that are the problem, and convince enough Americans that the problems of the economy can only be solved when the rich are even richer.

And if this board is any indicator of the zeitgeist of the American people, they won't have any problem making this gridlock happen while convincing enough the American people that their solutions must be implemented, too.

Last edited:
I think that Newt's shutdown of government and the reaction of the public will insure that they aren't dumb enough to do that again.

But certainly the plan is to allow the Dems to do nothing that will really deal with the economy.

They often are, come to think of it, but in this case it's a far less complex stretch to see why that is the case.

The game plan now is to obstruct anything that might work, to propose the same old supply side solutions that are the problem, and convince enough Americans that the problems of the economy can only be solved when the rich are even richer.

And if this board is any indicator of the zeitgeist of the American people, they won't have any problem making this gridlock happen while convincing enough the American people that their solutions must be implemented, too.

It is pretty obvious from what they have said that an improvement in the economy could doom their chances of regaining the white house and getting the "magic negro" out of the oval office. I think you are right. If the economy improves before 2012, they will lose the gains they made in 2010.

So, Americans will need to learn to suffer a while longer, for the sake of the GOP. They began the economic crisis, and by golly, they want to finish it

It is pretty obvious from what they have said that an improvement in the economy could doom their chances of regaining the white house and getting the "magic negro" out of the oval office. I think you are right. If the economy improves before 2012, they will lose the gains they made in 2010.

So, Americans will need to learn to suffer a while longer, for the sake of the GOP. They began the economic crisis, and by golly, they want to finish it

CON2593-9.jpg

Why dont you tell us all how forgoing the tax revenues that were set by Bush to come in is going to improve our budget?

PH2010110301760.jpg

rushlimbaughsmoke-thumb-2.jpg

s0n.........the House is gone for the DUMS at least to 2020............do some research on how the governors effect redistricting moving forward and how it relates to the census = virtually impossible for the house to go back to the DUMS before the next 10 years.:fu: Its like playing a chess game against yourself for Republicans:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface:

Last edited:

So if I were a federal employee, I would be prepared to take long extended leaves, when the GOP shuts down government, AGAIN. That is how they try to convince people they are saving money. They shut down the federal government.

But it never works out, because sooner or later, everyone figures out that they are not actually saving anything. They are just doing what they do best, OBSTRUCT.

THE PARTY OF NO RULES.
Right. The US will EXPLODE if we don't have government running things as well as they do. :rolleyes:

Lettuce be reality here. Taxpayers can't afford what the gubamint spends so there has to be budget cuts and deficit reduction. The current crop of Republicans in the House understand this but apparently you don't.

Stop being the "Party of No Ideas" and suggest actual fixes. The election was tuesday, accept it, get over it and move on like an adult would.

America needs uniters not dividers.

PH2010110301760.jpg

s0n.........the House is gone for the DUMS at least to 2020............do some research on how the governors effect redistricting moving forward and how it relates to the census = virtually impossible for the house to go back to the DUMS before the next 10 years.:fu: Its like playing a chess game against yourself for Republicans:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface:

You really don't know your recent America history, do you?

Here, let me give you a hand with that.

The shutdown
On November 14, major portions of the federal government became inoperative. The Clinton administration later released figures detailing the costs of the shutdown, which included losses of up to $800 million in salaries paid to furloughed employees.[2] The first budget shutdown was resolved with the passage of a temporary spending bill, but the underlying disagreement between Gingrich and Clinton was not resolved, resulting in the second shutdown.
[edit] Result

Daily News cover illustrated by Ed Murawinski.

The Republicans blamed Clinton for the shutdown, but public opinion seemed to favor the president. President Clinton's approval rating rose to the highest it had been since his election. The Republican's support was further diminished two days later when Gingrich made a widely-reported complaint about being snubbed by Clinton; Tom DeLay called it "the mistake of his [Gingrich's] life".[1]
DeLay writes in his book No Retreat, No Surrender:[3]
"He told a room full of reporters that he forced the shutdown because Clinton had rudely made him and Bob Dole sit at the back of Air Force One... Newt had been careless to say such a thing, and now the whole moral tone of the shutdown had been lost. What had been a noble battle for fiscal sanity began to look like the tirade of a spoiled child. The revolution, I can tell you, was never the same."
Gingrich's complaint resulted in the perception that he was acting in a petty, egotistical manner, and Clinton defended the seating arrangement as a courtesy to Gingrich, the back of the plane being closer to his pickup car.[1] Later, the polls suggested that the event badly damaged Gingrich politically.[4]

The shutdown also influenced the 1996 presidential election. Bob Dole, the Senate Majority Leader, was running for president in 1996. Because of his need to campaign, Dole wanted to solve the budget crisis in January 1996 despite the willingness of other Republicans to continue the shutdown unless their demands were met.[5] It also has been cited as a role in Clinton's successful re-election in 1996.[6]

Source

The HUBRIS and overreach of Newt actually helped the cause of the relection of Wm Clinton.

Do you get my point now, Lad?

Good gawd, the Republicans have had control for three days, and ALREADY there are ignorant articles like this from the NySLIMES.

People, don't buy the Slimes rag. HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS.

THE PARTY OF NO RULES.

Well, if we could stop Obama from taking his trip to India we would save at least a billion...

I find it funny that you are ripping on Republicans but obviously this last election is what the people want... so you must be ripping on the majority of people in the country... Why is it the minority is always bitching about the majority?????

PH2010110301760.jpg

The collective populations of those red congressional districts most likely aren't even half of the blue ones, Mr. Mislead.:eusa_whistle:

Shutting down the Government would be stupid
Blocking all legislation for the next two years would be stupid
Impeaching Obama would be stupid
Hearings on whether Global Warming exists would be stupid

Who ever said the current membership calling the shots in the GOP are anythin but stupid?

Like I said they will be so stupid as to do it again.

Oh, I think they will. I love how, future Speaker Boner keeps saying that America has given the GOP a mandate. PLEASE! People are pissed because of the economy. Simple as that. The economy improves before 2012, Obama will be re-elected.

Yes, the Republicans will shut down Guvment again! That is their destiny!

THE PARTY OF NO RULES.

Many of them should be given permanent leaves. As to the rest of the drek you posted...

Good gawd, the Republicans have had control for three days, and ALREADY there are ignorant articles like this from the NySLIMES.

Y'all need to stop clicking on links to sites like the NYT, HuffPuff, etc. Clicks increase their hit rate, that increases their ability to sell advertising space. Less hit, less rates, less advertising revenue. :eusa_whistle:

Y'all need to stop clicking on links to sites like the NYT, HuffPuff, etc. Clicks increase their hit rate, that increases their ability to sell advertising space. Less hit, less rates, less advertising revenue. :eusa_whistle:

yep, good advice.:clap2:

Forum List

Back