GOP bends its own new House rules

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
GOP bends its own new House rules - Yahoo! News

After calling for bills to go through a regular committee process, the bill that would repeal the health care law will not go through a single committee. Despite promising a more open amendment process for bills, amendments for the health care repeal will be all but shut down. After calling for a strict committee attendance list to be posted online, Republicans backpedaled and ditched that from the rules. They promised constitutional citations for every bill but have yet to add that language to early bills. (See: GOP backpedals on committee attendance rule)

Republicans say there are subtle reasons for these moves and that they certainly will follow their own rules throughout the 112th Congress. But the hedging on some promises shows just how hard it will be to always match the sharp rhetoric of the campaign with the ugly and complex work of running the House.

None of the bills that will be brought to the floor this week will be brought under open rules. When asked directly whether he would bring the repeal bill to the floor under an open rule, Cantor dodged the question.

GOP backpedals on committee attendance rule - On Congress - POLITICO.com

Republicans positioned the posting of attendance online as a major step that would help increase accountability and bolster the activity of committees - both major tenets of John Boehner's (R-Ohio) impending speakership. But the quick reversal shows that not everyone in the Republican Conference was ready to embrace this step.

The three bills that Republicans plan to introduce this week — one to cut the congressional budget, one to repeal the health care bill and another to instruct House committees to present new health care legislation — were posted on the Rules Committee website with plenty of time for review, but none had the constitutional citation for similar review. Aides vowed the citations would be available when the bills hit the floor.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

GOP bends its own new House rules - Yahoo! News

After calling for bills to go through a regular committee process, the bill that would repeal the health care law will not go through a single committee. Despite promising a more open amendment process for bills, amendments for the health care repeal will be all but shut down. After calling for a strict committee attendance list to be posted online, Republicans backpedaled and ditched that from the rules. They promised constitutional citations for every bill but have yet to add that language to early bills. (See: GOP backpedals on committee attendance rule)

Republicans say there are subtle reasons for these moves and that they certainly will follow their own rules throughout the 112th Congress. But the hedging on some promises shows just how hard it will be to always match the sharp rhetoric of the campaign with the ugly and complex work of running the House.

GOP backpedals on committee attendance rule - On Congress - POLITICO.com

Republicans positioned the posting of attendance online as a major step that would help increase accountability and bolster the activity of committees - both major tenets of John Boehner's (R-Ohio) impending speakership. But the quick reversal shows that not everyone in the Republican Conference was ready to embrace this step.

The three bills that Republicans plan to introduce this week — one to cut the congressional budget, one to repeal the health care bill and another to instruct House committees to present new health care legislation — were posted on the Rules Committee website with plenty of time for review, but none had the constitutional citation for similar review. Aides vowed the citations would be available when the bills hit the floor.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

I am TOTALLY FLABBERGASTED!!!! :eek:

I am TOTALLY FLABBERGASTED!!!! :eek:

I know, right? I'm waiting to see how this can be defended. Especially those who harked so much about adding the constitutional stuff to each bill. :popcorn:

good gawd, how many MORE threads are we going to have on this topic.

And one who started this ONE of what? FOUR, is a mod. how friggen FUNNY.:lol::lol:
:cuckoo:

And one who started this ONE of what? FOUR, is a mod. how friggen FUNNY.:lol::lol:

You could just link the others, I'd be happy to merge them into order. Though I find it hilarious that's the only response you could muster up.

You could just link the others, I'd be happy to merge them into order. Though I find it hilarious that's the only response you could muster up.

this is the only response that IS DESERVIED.
Until I see these things HAPPENING and not some speculation on LAMESTREAM newspaper article, then I'll I comment on it.
but hey, you lefties are having the time of your lives relying on newspaper articles, site like the Huffertonpost, etc, etc, so CARRY ON. It's a joy to watch.

Forum List

Back