GOP becoming small enough to drown in a bucket

Then start defending Obama. It isn't enough to SAY that you voted for him, and then bash him for 4 years. You aren't helping him get his agenda thru or helping him get re-elected.

And how does me making a mistake and assuming you were a right winger when you said what you said, how does that make me "dishonest"?

I may be one sided, but that's because the GOP was that bad for the country. Any doubt about that anymore?

So forgive me for making a mistake. Like you are so important and memorable that I'm supposed to remember you and what you have said? Get over yourself. LOL.

I haven't based Obama. I merely pointed out this sort of thing is always cyclical.

And your mistake wasn't in not remembering me, it is in assuming that any time someone says something you don't agree with they are some kind of right-wing GOPer. You make that mistake in every thread I've seen you post in.

I should add - I'll defend Obama when I think he's right and criticize him when I think he's wrong, and any self-respecting Democrat, Liberal, Progressive, etc. would do exactly the same. We need fewer partisan hacks who pretend their party or elected official can never mess up.

i don't pretend that. Dodd's a dick and I don't see Obama bringing manufacturing jobs home yet. I'm paying attention.

That would be logical. For some reason the GOP isn't capitalizing on the *gasp* communist turn of the nation. Instead they are busy coming up with litmus tests for membership. As far as I can tell the only problem any conservative would have with the Utah gov is that he is for civil unions...not even marriage! And frankly, being for civil unions seems a rather conservative stance to me. What are they thinking?

They have let themselves become increasingly identified with religious social issues. The GOP would stand a much better chance if they'd go back to their roots in fiscal conservatism and relax on the social issues. There are a number of moderates who would likely vote for a Republican were it not for the religious grip on the social platform (i.e. if the GOP said forget social issues, we're going to concentrate on fiscal ones).

Doesn't mean they're right on all the fiscal issues, but I think their attractiveness on that score exceeds their attractiveness on social issues when considering the country as a whole.
I'd really like to see that. Trouble is, at least from the viewpoints I've seen here...most of those left in the party put social conservatism ahead of everything else.

That would be logical. For some reason the GOP isn't capitalizing on the *gasp* communist turn of the nation. Instead they are busy coming up with litmus tests for membership. As far as I can tell the only problem any conservative would have with the Utah gov is that he is for civil unions...not even marriage! And frankly, being for civil unions seems a rather conservative stance to me. What are they thinking?

They have let themselves become increasingly identified with religious social issues. The GOP would stand a much better chance if they'd go back to their roots in fiscal conservatism and relax on the social issues. There are a number of moderates who would likely vote for a Republican were it not for the religious grip on the social platform (i.e. if the GOP said forget social issues, we're going to concentrate on fiscal ones).

Doesn't mean they're right on all the fiscal issues, but I think their attractiveness on that score exceeds their attractiveness on social issues when considering the country as a whole.
I'd really like to see that. Trouble is, at least from the viewpoints I've seen here...most of those left in the party put social conservatism ahead of everything else.

Today's GOP has become the antithesis of Dwight D. Eisenhower...

"In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Absolutely...I just don't see this wheel turning very quickly.

It may not.

If people get increasingly mad at Congress I could see the GOP gaining ground there. I think Obama is likely to be re-elected, and then after that much will rest on the respective candidates chosen by the parties.

but people AREN'T increasingly mad at Congress.... they don't "approve" either, but the disapproval numbers are significantly lower than in the last admin.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Congressional Job Approval

whether the repubs take back seats would depend on whether they have a message that resonates for anyone but the religious right and remaining neo-cons.

but the people who think the moderates in the party should be rejected are doing more to destroy the repub party than anything the dems could ever do.

It's about time the GOP shed some dead weight. Frankly, if they can't get their head around small, limited government that actually spends less than it takes in, I hope the sorry party falls in the dust.

Let the Libertarians arise!

Well Val, the economic guru for today's Republican party is a guy named Grover Norquist. Norquist is PROUD to be called a radical...He holds weekly meetings so Republicans are all indoctrinated to his radical beliefs...

He's stated he wants to shrink government to the size he can drown in a bathtub, and this telling quote...

"We're going to crush labor as a political entity"
Grover Norquist

Norquist is the head of a group called Club for Deficits.

He, as much as anyone, is responsible for The Incredible Shrinking Republican Party. He, as well as two or three other Small Tent Republicans, have been behind the ousting of the so called "RINOs," or Republican moderates with a chance of winning. Usually, when he and the other Small Tent Republicans are successful at ousting the moderate and replacing him or her with a more acceptable - read "hard right" - candidate, the hardliner loses the election.

Its an interesting campaign strategy.

This reminds me of a clip in the classic spoof "Spinal Tap"

The interviewer points out that during the last tour, the band was playing in large arenas and stadiums, and for this tour the are playing in smaller venues, and whether that indicates that the band's popularity is waning.

The manager of the band says -- no no no no, what it means is that we are playing to a more selective audience.

: )

It may not.

If people get increasingly mad at Congress I could see the GOP gaining ground there. I think Obama is likely to be re-elected, and then after that much will rest on the respective candidates chosen by the parties.

michigan is the state that gave us sealybobo.

i rest my case.

:clap2::clap2::lol::lol::lol:

The interviewer points out that during the last tour, the band was playing in large arenas and stadiums, and for this tour the are playing in smaller venues, and whether that indicates that the band's popularity is waning.

The manager of the band says -- no no no no, what it means is that we are playing to a more selective audience.

Nice.

this thread reminds of some silly republicans when they were announcing the "death of the democrats"

but do keep it up
LOL

this amp goes to 11

this amp goes to 11

too much fucking perspective.

Well Val, the economic guru for today's Republican party is a guy named Grover Norquist. Norquist is PROUD to be called a radical...He holds weekly meetings so Republicans are all indoctrinated to his radical beliefs...

He's stated he wants to shrink government to the size he can drown in a bathtub, and this telling quote...

Grover Norquist

He, as much as anyone, is responsible for The Incredible Shrinking Republican Party. He, as well as two or three other Small Tent Republicans, have been behind the ousting of the so called "RINOs," or Republican moderates with a chance of winning. Usually, when he and the other Small Tent Republicans are successful at ousting the moderate and replacing him or her with a more acceptable - read "hard right" - candidate, the hardliner loses the election.

Norquist's Club for Growth is exactly who Arlen Specter's remarks called out:

"They don't make any bones about their willingness to lose the general election if they can purify the party. There ought to be a rebellion. There ought to be an uprising."

I applaude those partisans who demand benchmarks for their parties to be honest.

The only problem with that is the duelopoly has made third parties so irrelevant that such benchmarks inevitably mean the party loses power.

If America has a really vibrant political process there'd be ten (or more) smaller parties all of which actually represented their constitutents.

Instead we have two parties (that actually matter) which few of us can sign onto completely.

I applaude those partisans who demand benchmarks for their parties to be honest.

The only problem with that is the duelopoly has made third parties so irrelevant that such benchmarks inevitably mean the party loses power.

If America has a really vibrant political process there'd be ten (or more) smaller parties all of which actually represented their constitutents.

Instead we have two parties (that actually matter) which few of us can sign onto completely.

You're looking for a party that you can sign onto COMPLETELY? Good luck.

The Democratic tent is big enough for you to join.

Michael Steele was on NPR last night talking about how their tent is big enough for pro choice people, but he compared it to a pro choice person entering an anti abortionists home. They are welcome to come in, but they must respect that the host has certain beliefs. Bottom line, the GOP will take anyone's vote at this point. :lol:

Next he'll be trying to win back all the Log Cabin Republicans they lost.

PS. How "LIBERAL" is NPR when they have on the head of the RNC and they give him 15 minutes to say whatever he wants and without argument?

I think conservatives label anything that isn't conservative as liberal.

Republicans are weak enough to drown in the bath tub??

Let me fill up the bath tub so we can see!!

Grover Norquist

Norquist's Club for Growth is exactly who Arlen Specter's remarks called out:

"They don't make any bones about their willingness to lose the general election if they can purify the party. There ought to be a rebellion. There ought to be an uprising."

There will be, after the Republicans are out of power for a decade.

You're looking for a party that you can sign onto COMPLETELY? Good luck.

The Democratic tent is big enough for you to join.

Michael Steele was on NPR last night talking about how their tent is big enough for pro choice people, but he compared it to a pro choice person entering an anti abortionists home. They are welcome to come in, but they must respect that the host has certain beliefs. Bottom line, the GOP will take anyone's vote at this point. :lol:

Next he'll be trying to win back all the Log Cabin Republicans they lost.

PS. How "LIBERAL" is NPR when they have on the head of the RNC and they give him 15 minutes to say whatever he wants and without argument?

I think conservatives label anything that isn't conservative as liberal.

I agree with this.

It used to be that the Democrats who were the party of ideological litmus tests and the Republicans were less dogmatic. Now its the other way around.

Forum List

Back