GOP backs law limiting marriage

At this point, what I’ve said is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have, and I think that’s the right thing to do. But I recognize that from their perspective, it is not enough.” He adds that he will “continue to wrestle” with it “going forward ~ President Barack Obama

I'll take an agnostic on the issue over someone dead set against it come hell or high water...

What makes you think that is agnostic? He is attempting to find a way not to offend gays without loosing all the blacks that voted for him. He is opportunistic.

At this point, what I’ve said is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have, and I think that’s the right thing to do. But I recognize that from their perspective, it is not enough.” He adds that he will “continue to wrestle” with it “going forward ~ President Barack Obama

I'll take an agnostic on the issue over someone dead set against it come hell or high water...

What makes you think that is agnostic? He is attempting to find a way not to offend gays without loosing all the blacks that voted for him. He is opportunistic.

So? He's still more likely to vote for marriage equality than the GnOP candidates.

So? He's still more likely to vote for marriage equality than the GnOP candidates.

And?

When did bigotry become a traditional value for Republicans?

Obama and Biden are Republicans?

Who knew?

"I believe that American society can choose to carve out a special place for the union of a man and a woman as the unit of child rearing most common to every culture.

I am not willing to have the state deny American citizens a civil union that confers equivalent rights no such basic matters as hospital visitation or health insurance coverage simlpy because the people they love are of the same sex"

Q: Let’s try to avoid nuance. Do you support gay marriage?

BIDEN: No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it.

PALIN: My answer is the same as his and it is that I do not.

Rips Obama for refusing to deny benefits to gays.

Discuss.

w/o a link, I'll assume this is true.

So it sounds like tyranny to me. Neither party wants to dump the "defense of marriage act"

Do you admire the social conservatives for being honest about it?
or
The dems, who keep saying they will dump it, but then don't bother?

It's a shame so few gays know they are being used and tool by the dems.

No he's not.

Gays make up about 3% of the voting public, blacks are around 20%.

That's simple math.

Who knew?

"I believe that American society can choose to carve out a special place for the union of a man and a woman as the unit of child rearing most common to every culture.

I am not willing to have the state deny American citizens a civil union that confers equivalent rights no such basic matters as hospital visitation or health insurance coverage simlpy because the people they love are of the same sex"

BIDEN: No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it.

So? I disagree with the statements; I understand why Obama & Biden need to respond as they did, but neither you nor I know what they really think. DOMA is mean spirited, bigoted and a disgrace to our heritage.

What part of this sentence do you not understand? We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It doesn't matter what the Gop does or does not support, marriage is not up to the Federal Government to dictate. It is a states issue. Marriage is not covered under the United States Constitution in any shape or form, and anything not in the constitution is left up to the states to dictate. If you do not like the marriage laws in your state feel free to move to another state or to elect a representative that will vote in the fashion that you believe they should.
Straight from the 10th amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

The Supreme Court of the United States disagrees with you.

Loving V Virginia
Zablocki v Redhail
Turner v Safley

Supreme court has ruled to expand it's power in this way many times... BUT the constitution is DAMN FUCKING CLEAR ON THIS

Who knew?

I am not willing to have the state deny American citizens a civil union that confers equivalent rights no such basic matters as hospital visitation or health insurance coverage simlpy because the people they love are of the same sex".

So? I disagree with the statements; I understand why Obama & Biden need to respond as they did, but neither you nor I know what they really think. DOMA is mean spirited, bigoted and a disgrace to our heritage.

What part of this sentence do you not understand? We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

So, why are you only going after Republicans, when the leader of your own party, the President of the United States, agrees that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

What's not equal?

A homosexual man cannot marry another man.

A heterosexual man cannot marry another man.

The law is the same for all, no one may marry the same gender, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Last edited:

Who knew?

I am not willing to have the state deny American citizens a civil union that confers equivalent rights no such basic matters as hospital visitation or health insurance coverage simlpy because the people they love are of the same sex".

So, why are you only going after Republicans, when the leader of your own party, the President of the United States, agrees that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

What's not equal?

A homosexual man cannot marry another man.

A heterosexual man cannot marry another man.

The law is the same for all, no one may marry the same gender, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Neither can they marry multiple Partners of the Opposite Sex, or Minors, or Close Blood Relatives, Or Animals. See People simply can't marry who ever they want. Gay or not. :)

My Personal Take has always been I don't Care, Let them have their Unions, or Marriages what ever. It just makes little sense to me, as I have always thought that the Primary reason for 2 people to marry was to Reproduce. 2 People of the Same sex can never reproduce in the same way 2 of the Opposite sex can. Sure they can use one of their Eggs or sperm. However at least not yet, have they come up with a way to produce an offspring that is half both of them and not part anyone else.

Riddle me that.

lol

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what the Gop does or does not support, marriage is not up to the Federal Government to dictate. It is a states issue. Marriage is not covered under the United States Constitution in any shape or form, and anything not in the constitution is left up to the states to dictate. If you do not like the marriage laws in your state feel free to move to another state or to elect a representative that will vote in the fashion that you believe they should.
Straight from the 10th amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

The Supreme Court of the United States disagrees with you.

Loving V Virginia
Zablocki v Redhail
Turner v Safley

Supreme court has ruled to expand it's power in this way many times... BUT the constitution is DAMN FUCKING CLEAR ON THIS

One of the Pitfalls of Respecting Precedent more than Say the Words of our Founders.

Who knew?

The part where it says anything about the state having the power to regulate marriage in any way, shape, or form. We should get the government out of the marriage business entirely, tell them that they do not have the power to define it at all. If you really believe those words you keep quoting the last thing you would want is giving the government the power to let, or anyone else, get married. The only reason the government wants to be in marriage at all is to restrict it.

Last edited:
Supreme court has ruled to expand it's power in this way many times... BUT the constitution is DAMN FUCKING CLEAR ON THIS.

What ‘powers’?

Clear on what?

You make no sense.

I have never understood why Government is in the Marriage business to begin with. Government should deal solely in Civil Unions. Let the Marriage of 1 man and 1 Woman remain where it belongs. The Church.

More nonsense.

Marriage is a legal and binding contract and states write and regulate contract law. That law has nothing to do with religion.

That marriage law is subject to Constitutional restriction was made abundantly clear in the already cited Loving v. Virginia (1967):
In a unanimous decision, the Court held that distinctions drawn according to race were generally "odious to a free people" and were subject to "the most rigid scrutiny" under the Equal Protection Clause. The Virginia law, the Court found, had no legitimate purpose "independent of invidious racial discrimination." The Court rejected the state's argument that the statute was legitimate because it applied equally to both blacks and whites and found that racial classifications were not subject to a "rational purpose" test under the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court also held that the Virginia law violated the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. "Under our Constitution," wrote Chief Justice Earl Warren, "the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual, and cannot be infringed by the State."

Loving v. Virginia | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

One need only replace ‘another race’ with ‘of the same sex’ and the precedent is clearly applicable.

With Loving incorporating Equal Protection and Due Process to the states with regard to marriage laws, and Lawrence v Texas striking down anti-gay (‘sodomy’) laws as an unconstitutional violation of the 14th Amendment, it’s obvious the Prop 8 ruling will be upheld by the Court.

I agree that faggots and dykes shouldn't be given any special privileges because of their sexual behavior, but come on, there are more important things for politicians to worry about than this mess, the fundie right has hijacked the Republitard Party and has made issues such as these more important that jobs.

Forum List

Back