GOP backs away from Zell Miller speech/comments

freeandfun1 said:
That doesn't say HOW the Bush campaign backed off. You are quoting a reporter and giving him credit as if HE is speaking for the Bush campaign. I want to see a DIRECT quote that says that Zell was wrong. McCain..... well, since Zell never said that Democraps were unpatriotic, I am not sure why McCain said what he said other than because sometimes McCain can get too full of HIMSELF.

I would also add that i would hardly look to McCain to find out what the GOP thinks. he is a fringer.

DKSuddeth said:
I said it LOOKS like a cheap political stunt.
Not if you look beyond democratic spin on the issue.
Quoting John McCain "“Well, Zell Miller is a very experienced politician,”
“I’m sure he knew exactly what he was talking about. [But] I just don’t agree with the fact that the Democrats are unpatriotic or the assertion that the Democrats are unpatriotic,” he said. “I don’t think they are.”
Where did he say that the dems were unpatriotic or even asserted that they are?
Where did he say that the dems were unpatriotic or even asserted that they are? McCain must be speaking for kerry and edwards again, right?

Here's your distancing directly from the article "The Bush campaign stepped backed from Miller’s comments Thursday after it was received with almost immediate criticism".
That's the reporters interpretation. I don't agree with it.
You don't do this to your keynote speaker.

Still this whole article is mountain out of a molehill territory and you know it. One minor disagreement from john mccain, the sometimes sellout, does not a GOP DISTANCING make.

Put it this way.....

The left LOVES to say that talk radio is a mouthpiece for the admin. Well, Zell has been embraced by talk-radio and he has been on all the shows so if talk-radio and the GOP are tied at the hip as so many imply, then the admin obviously is NOT distancing themselves from Zell. You attribute one comment by a reporter as being the gospel. That is why I said you must be looking for something to get pissed at. You have ignored all the GOP folks that have been on the radio and TV embracing Zell.

DKSuddeth said:
The last sentence in the article - "A senior White House official, speaking to reporters before Bush’s address Thursday night, said, “Senator Miller was speaking on behalf of himself and obviously on behalf of himself.”

Nowhere do I say that the bush campaign said miller was wrong, It's all about not wanting to be associated with the truth apparently.

I see it more as just pointing out that the GOP didnt give Zell a script.

DKSuddeth said:
The last sentence in the article - "A senior White House official, speaking to reporters before Bush’s address Thursday night, said, “Senator Miller was speaking on behalf of himself and obviously on behalf of himself.”

Nowhere do I say that the bush campaign said miller was wrong, It's all about not wanting to be associated with the truth apparently.

First off, what "Senior White House Official"? Or is this another "anonymous" source?

Secondly, how is saying that Zell was speaking on behalf of himself, distancing themselves from Zell. I guess facts don't matter? I guess the truth is to be ignored (Zell wrote his own speech so he MUST be speaking on behalf of himself).

freeandfun1 said:
Put it this way.....

The left LOVES to say that talk radio is a mouthpiece for the admin. Well, Zell has been embraced by talk-radio and he has been on all the shows so if talk-radio and the GOP are tied at the hip as so many imply, then the admin obviously is NOT distancing themselves from Zell. You attribute one comment by a reporter as being the gospel. That is why I said you must be looking for something to get pissed at. You have ignored all the GOP folks that have been on the radio and TV embracing Zell.

not mentioning talk radio in my posts here means I'm ignoring them? thats reaching.

It's more than just one reporter, this article alone mention mccain, laura bush, and a white house official. we'll see if more come out later.

I do know one thing. Ronald Reagan would NOT have backed away from Zell Miller.

DK. Why don't you tell us what YOU think zell was wrong about instead of trying to spin the GOP reaction?

DKSuddeth said:
not mentioning talk radio in my posts here means I'm ignoring them? thats reaching.

It's more than just one reporter, this article alone mention mccain, laura bush, and a white house official. we'll see if more come out later.

I know ONE thing too. You have not proven to me that the admin is distancing themselves from Zell. You took the comments of one reporter and you ran with it.

I will wait to see more, but until then, I am convinced this is the liberal media spinning to try and hurt Bush. I am surprised you are so quick to jump on the bandwagon considering there are no quotes, no soundbites, nothing. Just a reporter saying 'somebody said something'.

DKSuddeth said:

Zell most certainly can take care of himself-----he doesn't need any help from the white house. I have heard anything from him about this issue. I don't think he gives a damn.

rtwngAvngr said:
DK. Why don't you tell us what YOU think zell was wrong about instead of trying to spin the GOP reaction?

why don't YOU tell me where I said Zell was wrong. If you can do that, I'll tell you why I said it.

Merlin1047 said:
Hey, it's too early in the morning to get too damn serious.

Here ya go:

Did you hear that John Kerry made a surprise visit to the Olympics?

He was only there 35 minutes, but he came away with 6 medals!

:laugh:

DKSuddeth said:
why don't YOU tell me where I said Zell was wrong. If you can do that, I'll tell you why I said it.

Oh I just assumed you disagreed with Zell. MY bad. I'm glad to see you fully support his comments in content and tone.

rtwngAvngr said:
Oh I just assumed you disagreed with Zell. MY bad. I'm glad to see you fully support his comments in content and tone.
If anything, the only wrong thing with his speech might be that he wasn't harsh enough on kerry and kennedy but THAT certainly wouldn't have been appropriate at the RNC, some other venue for sure.

DKSuddeth said:
If anything, the only wrong thing with his speech might be that he wasn't harsh enough on kerry and kennedy but THAT certainly wouldn't have been appropriate at the RNC, some other venue for sure.

That's what I was thinking too. I was like "come on zell, quit pussyfooting around the issues. Tell us what you really think!"

I would also add that i would hardly look to McCain to find out what the GOP thinks. he is a fringer.

I'm with you on that. If any major player in the GOP could jump ship, he'd be the one.

With all due respect to everyone's opinions, I see a lot of problems with this article.

First, what "harsh reaction" are they talking about? The reaction on the convention floor wasn't harsh, the reaction by Bush supporters on this board wasn't harsh, and I haven't heard any harsh reaction by Bush supporters anywhere else. The only thing I've heard from the Democrats is the same thing they were saying before, a forced laugh followed by saying Miller isn't a "real Democrat". As far as Kerry "firing back" at his midnight rally, I didn't hear anything from him that I haven't heard before either. He's still tying every subject, every issue, every thing that's said to Vietnam.

We have a quote from Laura Bush in the article. “I don’t know that we share that point of view.”, is what we see first. Later, they repeat this, then add that she said Miller has an interesting viewpoint, just like she had a personal viewpoint to talk about the President, and that "his voice is one with a lot,”. Pointing out that we also heard from Guiliani, McCain, and Swarzenegger. The biggest problem I have with this is they don't say what the question was to get that response. Regardless, I don't see how this is "backing away" from Miller, though I can understand how someone could see that if they looked hard enough and didn't have the whole story.

John McCain is in the uncomfortable position of showing loyalty to his party while trying not to put himself in a position of bashing a personal friend. Again, we aren't given the question that led to the response, but I also don't see how it's backing away. Where McCain got the word unpatriotic, I don't know.

Then, the ever popular faceless, nameless "senior White House official". Senator Miller was a Democrat speaking at the Republican convention. I don't think Miller or the Republican Party wanted to make it seem like he was speaking for the Republicans. I think that was the whole point in having him give the keynote address. Here was a Democrat, speaking for himself in his own words, that did not like the turn the Democrat's leadership had taken, and he was supporting the President from the other party because of it. Also, just to point it out, the we don't know what the question was for this either.

This is a carefully crafted article that takes a couple of comments and blows them out of proportion. I have seen nothing I would consider a harsh reaction come from this, and I have seen nothing that says they are backing away from Miller.

Forum List

Back