GOP backs away from Zell Miller speech/comments

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
msnbc article

After gauging the harsh reaction from Democrats and Republicans alike to Sen. Zell Miller’s keynote address at the Republican National Convention, the Bush campaign — led by the first lady — backed away Thursday from Miller’s savage attack on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, insisting that the estranged Democrat was speaking only for himself.

Late Thursday, Miller and his wife were removed from the list of dignitaries who would be sitting in the first family’s box during the president’s acceptance speech later in the evening. Scott Stanzel, a spokesman for the Bush campaign, said Miller was not in the box because the campaign had scheduled him to do too many television interviews.

There was no explanation, however, for why Miller would be giving multiple interviews during Bush’s acceptance speech, or what channels would snub the president in favor of Miller. Nor was it made clear why Miller’s wife also was not allowed to take her place in the president’s box 24 hours after his deeply personal denunciation of his own party’s nominee.

The change was made only a few hours after Laura Bush, asked about Miller’s speech, said in an interview with NBC News that “I don’t know that we share that point of view.” Aides to President Bush and his campaign said Miller was not speaking for all Republicans.

Miller, who all but abandoned his party after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, returned Wednesday to Madison Square Garden to denounce Kerry as “more wrong, more weak and more wobbly than any other national figure.”

It was in the same hall 12 years ago that Miller, then the respected conservative Democratic governor of Georgia, enthusiastically supported Bill Clinton and belittled President Bush’s father as “a timid man who hears only the voices of caution and the status quo” and a “commander-in-chief [who] talks like Dirty Harry but acts like Barney Fife.”

Wednesday night, Miller delivered a fervent pro-Bush sermon that infuriated Democrats and left even some Republicans unsettled.

“No pair has been more wrong, more loudly, more often, than the two senators from Massachusetts, Ted Kennedy and John Kerry,” Miller said. “Together, Kennedy and Kerry have opposed the very weapons system that won the Cold War and that is now winning the war on terror.”

“This is the man who wants to be the commander-in-chief of our U.S. armed forces? U.S. forces armed with what? Spitballs?” he asked in a cold and controlled fury. “... For more than 20 years, on every one of the great issues of freedom and security, John Kerry has been more wrong, more weak and more wobbly than any other national figure.”

Democrats were furious. Led by Kerry himself, who planned to fire back sharply in a midnight rally Thursday night in Ohio, Democrats accused Miller of lying about Kerry’s record and predicted that his address would backfire in the way Patrick Buchanan’s “culture war” speech at the 1992 Republican convention damaged the first President Bush.

The Bush campaign stepped backed from Miller’s comments Thursday after it was received with almost immediate criticism, including complaints from prominent Republicans like Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

“Well, Zell Miller is a very experienced politician,” McCain, who spoke earlier at the convention, told NBC News on Wednesday night.

“I’m sure he knew exactly what he was talking about. [But] I just don’t agree with the fact that the Democrats are unpatriotic or the assertion that the Democrats are unpatriotic,” he said. “I don’t think they are.”

In an interview Thursday, Laura Bush told NBC News’ Tom Brokaw: “I don’t know that we share that point of view. I mean, I think Zell Miller has a very interesting viewpoint, just like I had the personal viewpoint to talk about the president when I spoke on Tuesday night. ...

“But, I mean, his voice is one with a lot,” the first lady said. “You also heard Senator McCain. You also heard Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Governor [Arnold] Schwarzenegger.”

A senior White House official, speaking to reporters before Bush’s address Thursday night, said, “Senator Miller was speaking on behalf of himself and obviously on behalf of himself.”

I don't know what pisses me off more, That the democrats are attacking because they were outed or that the republicans are now seperating themselves from a group of like minded democrats for fear of political backlash. Seems that there is no place in the arena of 'popularity politics' for hard nosed non-partisan politicians and THAT, fellow americans, will be the downfall of this country.

This is nothing. Him not being in the box proves nothing. This article was written by a desperate dem grasping at straws.

DKSuddeth said:
msnbc article
A senior White House official, speaking to reporters before Bush’s address Thursday night, said, “Senator Miller was speaking on behalf of himself and obviously on behalf of himself.”

I don't know what pisses me off more, That the democrats are attacking because they were outed or that the republicans are now seperating themselves from a group of like minded democrats for fear of political backlash. Seems that there is no place in the arena of 'popularity politics' for hard nosed non-partisan politicians and THAT, fellow americans, will be the downfall of this country.

Given the fact that most news sources are untrustworthy, I want to research this a bit more. But Miller said what needed to be said. He said nothing which was not true. If the Republicans are now attempting to distance themselves from his remarks then it proves that the sleaze factor is alive and well in the Bush campaign as well.

rtwngAvngr said:
This is nothing. Him not being in the box proves nothing. This article was written by a desperate dem grasping at straws.

in other words, 'move along, nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for.' :poke: :rolleyes: :lame2:

DKSuddeth said:
in other words, 'move along, nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for.' :poke: :rolleyes: :lame2:

The argument lies on too many levels of doubtful inference. If I hear someone say "Zell was wrong when he said x" I'll believe it. But sure accuse me of being a stormtrooper. Typical leftist craptastical character smear. But top of the mornin' to ya!
:thup:

Hey, it's too early in the morning to get too damn serious.

Here ya go:

Did you hear that John Kerry made a surprise visit to the Olympics?

He was only there 35 minutes, but he came away with 6 medals!

If you launch a powerful offensive that succeeds and
then retreat, what's the point? Did it work too well?
Maybe this is "Kinder and Gentler" politics.

I hope the Republicans don't expect the same from Mike Moore-on, Holy-Wood,
move on, Soros or even Kerry/Kennedy though. Cuz it ain't gonna happen. They have been beating
the Anti-Bush drum for four years. Zell was ONE speech for crying out loud!
Of course the difference is Zell hit the nail on the head with every paragraph while the
Democraps have just been beating on a broken drum.

I think Zell should be out there hammering on the points of his speech all
the way to Nov.2. I hope they let him.

And that's my 2 cents.

What's the difference between the Republicans saying Miller speaks for himself, and the Hollywood ball where Whoopi and the rest of the idiots were insulting Bush so bad they wouldn't show it on TV and Kerry and Edwards applauding like it was the best thing since sliced bread and after saying these people were the "heart and soul of America" turn around and say they don't agree with what Whoopi and the others said. The difference is, Miller is a Democrat, he was not speaking on behalf of the Republicans, he was speaking on behalf of Democrats who are disgusted at what their party has turned into and the leaders that are helping it down the wrong road.
I thought his speech was great and through the whole convention I didn't hear anything that is half as bad as all the shit that's been coming from the Liberals for almost 4 YEARS now!!!

Merlin1047 said:
Hey, it's too early in the morning to get too damn serious.

Here ya go:

Did you hear that John Kerry made a surprise visit to the Olympics?

He was only there 35 minutes, but he came away with 6 medals!

Are Kerry's medals some of the ones the EU claims to have won the Olympics with?

DK: All I have heard any of the GOP members say when asked about this is that the words were the words of Zell as was the anger. If you want to get mad at anybody, get mad at the Democrats. I believe the GOP members are just making clear that Zell did that ALL on his own and he didn't need the GOP to get him worked up that way cuz his own party already had. If Bush and co were to say ANYTHING, the left would say, "see, the GOP wrote the speech for him".

Zell is pissed. Zell is the kind of Democrat my parents were, those democrats are PISSED, and they have a right to be pissed. There are plenty of GOP members pissed at the president (notice the low level of applause when he discussed his GOVERNMENT programs) but the media only loves to show off the pissed GOP members while taking the pissed Dems to the woodshed

What I see out of this is that the GOP took a good democrat senator and made him the keynote speaker at the convention because he supported Bush over Kerry when it came to the WoT and are now telling everyone 'hey, its Zell's fault, he said it all on his own'. It looks like a cheap political stunt and it sickens me.

DKSuddeth said:
What I see out of this is that the GOP took a good democrat senator and made him the keynote speaker at the convention because he supported Bush over Kerry when it came to the WoT and are now telling everyone 'hey, its Zell's fault, he said it all on his own'. It looks like a cheap political stunt and it sickens me.

It's not a cheap political stunt. The man is passionate and right. Again, show me where a gopper said "zell was wrong about x". saying "those are zells words" is a statement of fact, Not a "distancing".

DKSuddeth said:

Its Zells Fault? i havent seen anyone saying its his fault. Because i dont see anyone saying Zell did anything wrong. More like Go Zell!

If it's political it can't be a "cheap" stunt. I doubt Zell cares what anyone says about his speech--he's way to above that.

rtwngAvngr said:
It's not a cheap political stunt. The man is passionate and right. Again, show me where a gopper said "zell was wrong about x". saying "those are zells words" is a statement of fact, Not a "distancing".

I said it LOOKS like a cheap political stunt.

Quoting John McCain "“Well, Zell Miller is a very experienced politician,”
“I’m sure he knew exactly what he was talking about. [But] I just don’t agree with the fact that the Democrats are unpatriotic or the assertion that the Democrats are unpatriotic,” he said. “I don’t think they are.”

Where did he say that the dems were unpatriotic or even asserted that they are? McCain must be speaking for kerry and edwards again, right?

Here's your distancing directly from the article "The Bush campaign stepped backed from Miller’s comments Thursday after it was received with almost immediate criticism".

You don't do this to your keynote speaker.

DKSuddeth said:

You need to stop being so angry. I am convinced you are just LOOKING for something to get pissed about. Zell was made a key-note speaker to reach those Southern Democrats that he represents. Apparently a LOT of people in GA like him or he wouldn't have been elected first governor then Senator.

As HE said, his family is more important than his party. I figured somebody like you would respect that.

DKSuddeth said:
I said it LOOKS like a cheap political stunt.

Quoting John McCain "“Well, Zell Miller is a very experienced politician,”

Where did he say that the dems were unpatriotic or even asserted that they are? McCain must be speaking for kerry and edwards again, right?

Here's your distancing directly from the article "The Bush campaign stepped backed from Miller’s comments Thursday after it was received with almost immediate criticism".

You don't do this to your keynote speaker.

DK--you above all should know that both parties will do anything to get elected!

freeandfun1 said:
You need to stop being so angry. I am convinced you are just LOOKING for something to get pissed about.
Free, with all due respect, you don't know jack shit about how I feel about this.

freeandfun1 said:
Zell was made a key-note speaker to reach those Southern Democrats that he represents. Apparently a LOT of people in GA like him or he wouldn't have been elected first governor then Senator.

As HE said, his family is more important than his party. I figured somebody like you would respect that.

Point out ANY specific statement where I've talked bad about zell miller, just one. In Fact, if you'll READ my statements you'll see that I've said NOTHING bad about Zell. I like him, always have. It's a bullshit play from the GOP that invited a southern democrat to speak at the RNC and are now backing away from that democrats statements, If the GOP were proud of having Zell speak the truth, they'd be standing right beside him, not distancing themselves.

DKSuddeth said:
"The Bush campaign stepped backed from Miller’s comments Thursday after it was received with almost immediate criticism".

That doesn't say HOW the Bush campaign backed off. You are quoting a reporter and giving him credit as if HE is speaking for the Bush campaign. I want to see a DIRECT quote that says that Zell was wrong. McCain..... well, since Zell never said that Democraps were unpatriotic, I am not sure why McCain said what he said other than because sometimes McCain can get too full of HIMSELF.

freeandfun1 said:
That doesn't say HOW the Bush campaign backed off. You are quoting a reporter and giving him credit as if HE is speaking for the Bush campaign. I want to see a DIRECT quote that says that Zell was wrong. McCain..... well, since Zell never said that Democraps were unpatriotic, I am not sure why McCain said what he said other than because sometimes McCain can get too full of HIMSELF.

The last sentence in the article - "A senior White House official, speaking to reporters before Bush’s address Thursday night, said, “Senator Miller was speaking on behalf of himself and obviously on behalf of himself.”

Nowhere do I say that the bush campaign said miller was wrong, It's all about not wanting to be associated with the truth apparently.

Forum List

Back