GOP attacking Rice so Kerry will leave Senate

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
This is an interesting theory that is probably closer to the truth than not.

It doesn’t matter how many closed-door meetings Republicans have with the CIA and U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow theorized Tuesday, because Rice being named Secretary of State would prevent them from what they really want: the chance to get another seat in the Senate.

The reason, Maddow said, GOP lawmakers “prefer” Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) get a presidential cabinet nomination — either to that position or Secretary of Defense — is that the promotion would open up his Senate seat to a special election.

according to Maddow, what isn’t being said is that, should Kerry be elevated in Rice’s place, former Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) would be the presumed GOP pick to go after the open seat, given that he only lost his re-election bid to Elizabeth Warren by eight points.

source

• Banned
It actually makes perfect sense. Especially when you hear Republicans practically cheering for Kerry.

Collins was less hesitant about how Sen. John Kerry, another potential secretary of state pick, might fare in the nomination process, however.

"I think John Kerry would be an excellent appointment and would be easily confirmed by his colleagues," she said.

Collins has not been the first Republican Senator to pump Kerry up for the appointment: Republican Senator John Barrasso, of Wyoming, said Kerry would "sail through" the Senate and that Mr. Obama should nominate him if he wants an easy nominating process.

One possible motive for the GOP's apparent pro-Kerry push is the fact that, if tapped, he'd be forced to give up his Senate seat in Massachusetts, thereby opening it up for a bid from Republican Scott Brown. Brown, who was recently defeated by Elizabeth Warren for the state's other Senate seat, is considered by far the GOP's best shot for picking up a seat in the solidly blue state of Massachusetts in the case of a special election.

source

Well except for the whole, it started before the election and before we knew Brown would lose. And it ignores the fact that Kerry is in the running for Sec of Defense. Not to mention the fact that Brown was an exception to the general rule in Mass, dems win there not Republicans. But you guys enjoy your conspiracy,.

• Banned
I'd say it's pretty transparent what's going on.

It actually makes perfect sense. Especially when you hear Republicans practically cheering for Kerry.

Collins was less hesitant about how Sen. John Kerry, another potential secretary of state pick, might fare in the nomination process, however.

"I think John Kerry would be an excellent appointment and would be easily confirmed by his colleagues," she said.

Collins has not been the first Republican Senator to pump Kerry up for the appointment: Republican Senator John Barrasso, of Wyoming, said Kerry would "sail through" the Senate and that Mr. Obama should nominate him if he wants an easy nominating process.

One possible motive for the GOP's apparent pro-Kerry push is the fact that, if tapped, he'd be forced to give up his Senate seat in Massachusetts, thereby opening it up for a bid from Republican Scott Brown. Brown, who was recently defeated by Elizabeth Warren for the state's other Senate seat, is considered by far the GOP's best shot for picking up a seat in the solidly blue state of Massachusetts in the case of a special election.

source

To be absolutely fair, Kerry is vastly more qualified and experienced than Rice is.

My biggest concern is that Obama might be inclined to do what a lot of presidents do in second terms. When the "all-stars" they nominated in their first term leave, they are more inclined to appoint loyalists they feel comfortable with. We saw this with Bush when he replaced Powell with Condi and Ashcroft with Alberto Gonzalez.

man ole raw story is dissing up some raw bullshit

good grief

and you brought it over here

Good God. Why the hell would Kerry want to be Secretary of anything??

Guys got it made in his cushy job in the Senate. He's assured of his seat every election and he pretty much does as he pleases.

Being Secretary means he will actually have to work. Go places do things. Who the hell would want that??

Hell. His wifes a multimillionairess. He's got it made just doing what he's doing.

I doubt he'd want to be Secretary of anything. LOL

Kerry (traitor) doesn't deserve citizenship in this country, nevermind a position as Sec. of State.

Guys got it made in his cushy job in the Senate. He's assured of his seat every election and he pretty much does as he pleases.

Being Secretary means he will actually have to work. Go places do things. Who the hell would want that??

Hell. His wifes a multimillionairess. He's got it made just doing what he's doing.

Or maybe he realizes he's at the end of his career, and wants something better on his biography than, "Beaten by a functional Retard in 2004 for President."

LOL I still doubt he will actually want to WORK at anything. Why should he??

Hell. If i were him. I'd pass big time.

LOL I still doubt he will actually want to WORK at anything. Why should he??

Hell. If i were him. I'd pass big time.

Well, it's a good thing you're not him, then.

Not a fan of Kerry, didn't vote for him in 2004, but he's a decent enough fellow. He works hard for his state. He's done a few things that are kind of weaselly, which is why he never became president, but he's also done a lot of good.

I personally think he'd be better at State than Defense, as Defense requires a lot more organizational skill.

Perhaps he wants to serve his country. You didn't think of that, did you? And it's pretty well known that he wants to be SoS.

don't matter what kind of shit they put in the kool aid dumb demoncraps will drink it anyway. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It doesn’t matter how many closed-door meetings Republicans have with the CIA and U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow theorized Tuesday, because Rice being named Secretary of State would prevent them from what they really want: the chance to get another seat in the Senate.

The reason, Maddow said, GOP lawmakers “prefer” Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) get a presidential cabinet nomination — either to that position or Secretary of Defense — is that the promotion would open up his Senate seat to a special election.

according to Maddow, what isn’t being said is that, should Kerry be elevated in Rice’s place, former Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) would be the presumed GOP pick to go after the open seat, given that he only lost his re-election bid to Elizabeth Warren by eight points.

source

That theory has about as much teeth as Rice being a proxy shot down as Secretary of State so that John Kerry will look good as SOC? Each candidate has a history of actions or inaction that lead to veterans getting killed at the hands of the enemy.....Rice's are just more recent.

source

That theory has about as much teeth as Rice being a proxy shot down as Secretary of State so that John Kerry will look good as SOC? Each candidate has a history of actions or inaction that lead to veterans getting killed at the hands of the enemy.....Rice's are just more recent.

Who, Condi Rice? I agree.

Forum List

Back