GOP and the right to assemble

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tpahl, Aug 24, 2004.

1. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=E76A7FDC-B259-4D8B-9A2482E5E909B7B6

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    well, this will be an event to tie up the courts for years, what with all the arrests and appeals to the supreme court and stuff and junk. :boohoo:

3. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would hope any person speaking out political in central park would not be arrested. If one is, I would hope they would not have to take thier case all the way to the supreme court.

Travis

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Its going to happen, not because of violence per se, but because there is no permit the police will either cite them, or arrest them when they refuse to leave. then the court go-round begins and we'll be talking about the constitution alot.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You are delusional. It's not 'any person' but up to a million people orchestrated to be hitting NYC for the convention. While 'any person' might be allowed to speak, it would be impossible in this time frame. Many have vowed to disrupt the city, actually endangering the citizens, as well as delegates:

from the 'official' group, which if you dig at the endnotes, you'll find moveon as well as communist party backing:

http://www.rncnotwelcome.org/fighttheman.html

I'm not giving the addresses, but some are giving 'tips' on how to mess with chem/bio detection equipment, hurt police dogs sniffing for explosives, etc.

The courts have ruled correctly, it's not just the protestors who have rights, so does the RNC. All must be safe. In order to do that, the police must be able to have control, if problems break out, Central Park is not a controllable arena:

http://www.wnet.org/centralpark/centralpark.html

6. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you think it is right that they be arrested for being in a public park exercising their free speech? Why would someone order the police to arrest them for that?

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

I hope that exactly happens. If any group fails to get approval for their disruptions, they should be arrested if they don't vacate the area. Our cities have rules - nobody's 'rights' supercede MY right to have citizens obey the law.

8. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Must you begin every debate with these words?

So they should all be arrested? no. And the park is big enough to handle all the protestors that show up.

Endangering others is different from protesting in a park. I doubt that even 1% of the people arrested will be arrested fo endangering others, it will be for being in a park speaking (either with a sign (which are illegal if they have a stick on them in NYC) or verbally). You should be upset when a fellow citizen is arrested for speaking out. Instead you seem to be cheering for it to happen. Why?

Is this what we are discussing? No. I am discussing people being arrested for being in a park speaking out politically. If that is all a person is doing, do you beleive they should be arrested? Yes or no?

I doubt the courts are implying that the 1st amendment be overridden. If a person decides to go to the park and speak out politically he has that right. If another person decides to join him, he has that right. If a third person decides to join him, they have that right as well. if 100,000 people decide to join them, they have that right as well.

Central Park has enjoyed many large crowds on numerous occasions. in fact i bet there was a large crowd there today. There usually is on almost any day in the summer. there are large concerts held there, Large road races like the NYC marathon end there, etc... In other words large crowds can be there peacefully for other reasons. For the city to say no to this crowd when the only difference is their reason for going is to speak out politically, is outrageous.

As Leczynski said, ""The First Amendment is pretty clear that you have the right to peacefully assemble," he said. "And it's not a right if you have to ask somebody's permission."

9. JIHADTHIS

JIHADTHIS Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I seriously doubt the NYPD has the desire nor the capability to place 1 million people under arrest. It's not going to happen. Any violent individuals and whoever they deem to be the aggitators will be arrested. If they break the law or incite a riot should they not be locked up?

10. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A right is something you do not have to ask permision for. Laws that violate rights outlined in the constitution are unconstitutional and thus are not valid laws. If you want to live in a society where citizens obey the law, then you should start looking at the NYC government who is vilating the supreme law of the land (if it decides to arrest people assemblilng in central park).

Travis