Google's Australia Day doodle

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
Doodle 4 Google

It's the 26th of January here, that's the date that the First Fleet landed on the east coast of Australia, about where Sydney now is, to commence the penal settlement of New South Wales in 1788. Although Australia didn't become a nation until 1 January 1901 (it was a collection of colonies and one province before federation on that date) we still celebrate the landing of the First Fleet. That's because 1 January is already a public holiday and we don't like losing public holidays so we get the day off on 26 January.

This year, more than I remember, there has been a lot of discussion about immigration and what it means to be Australian. Sadly there is a lot of xenophobia being expressed in the forums of online newspapers as we seem to have many people confusing patriotism (it's a fairly new phenomenon for us to wave flags and what have you) with nationalism.

Anyway I thought this doodle from Jessie Du was a nice counter to the trash being talked by some folks in Australia

Google - this is Jessie's doodle on google.com.au as it appears to us.

No tinnies Colin - moving house - but thank you, I'll catch up on the tinnies after the move :D

So are you doing it the professional way?

DSC_4119.jpg

Or just getting some friends to help?

moving.jpg

Happy Aussie Day!!!!

happy whatever lol...what about the cane toads? are yall gonna kill them.....they have a baby kolka at the sc zoo....i want to go see it but its a long drive and they say it doesnt move much...climbs up his mother's back and pees over her head...that's all folks!

Happy Australia Day, you Aussies! (even Dr. Grump)!!!

Your special day is also my twins birthday.....so we celebrate both here. :D

We're a few hours away from January 26 just yet. ;)

happy whatever lol...what about the cane toads? are yall gonna kill them.....they have a baby kolka at the sc zoo....i want to go see it but its a long drive and they say it doesnt move much...climbs up his mother's back and pees over her head...that's all folks!

Sounds like a Drop Bear, not a Koala. ;)

OH, and LUCKY ME....I found Caramel TIM TAMS today at a Kroger grocery store. Woo-hoo!

Bought every pack on the shelf! Those suckers are hard to find here in the States......yummmmmmm-eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:D

Forum List

Back