Google Takes Over Operations Of Moffett Airfield From NASA

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
This story caught my attention for a couple of reasons.
Google Takes Over Operations Of Moffett Airfield From NASA Will Invest 200M Into The Site TechCrunch
In a press release, NASA announced that Planetary Ventures LLC, a shell organization operated by Google for real estate deals, will contribute $1.16 billion over the course of the lease, while reducing the government agency’s maintenance and operation costs by $6.3 million annually.

The best part of the press release is this quote from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden: “As NASA expands its presence in space, we are making strides to reduce our footprint here on Earth,” he says.
I was there in May of 2012 and the hot story on the field at the time was how that giant Blimp Hanger was getting a renovation but no one really could say where the money was coming from. That and the preparations for Obama's visit later in the week.

This is how it looked when I saw it last (taxiing out):
B2401.jpg

Here it is now (From the Article) Is that a Google Earth image?:

moffett_field.png

Now, that was two and a half years ago so I got to thinking who paid for the upgrades and what the Hanger will be used for.

Blimp Hangers (Like the ones in Tustin Ca.) are perfect for flying R/C model airplanes. In fact, they've been used for flying all sorts of planes for many decades already.

In a related story from this year:
Google Buys Drone Company Titan Aerospace - Business Insider

I used to play on the golf course at Moffett Field and that monstrosity always got my attention.

Why does Google want it? To control the internet!!!!!

I used to play on the golf course at Moffett Field and that monstrosity always got my attention.

Partially so that Sergey and Larry have a convenient landing strip for their private Jumbo Jet. It's So Inconvenient to have to land at SJ or SFO and to deal with the traffic.

That's why I included the second link to Google buying a drone company earlier this year. I think they want it to test their drones in it.

Cool. Have you ever been to Tillamook?

Several times. And Evergreen Air and Space Museum, also. Wonderful places for kids from 2 to 99.

Well, well, after a hundred posts, something we finally agree on. I too have been to both museums many times. When my first wife was still alive, we liked to take the motor home (and the kids) up to Tillamook -beautiful area and the aviation museum is unique. The Evergreen is very nice too. Howard would be pleased. You know the blimp hangar at Tillimook is the largest wooden building in the world? They actually get clouds in there from condensation. I wonder if Google has any designs on getting into the airship business down at Moffett?

Of all the great WWII fighters at Tillamook, Tangerine is my favorite. You know that mainland America was bombed by an enemy aircraft during WWII, yes? P-38's played a pivotal role in that strange episode.

tillamook p38.jpg

Watched a P-38 take off, very quiet airplane, especially as the plane that took off before it was a P-51. That was at the Hillsboro Airshow. My dad worked on B-24's during the war, and my uncle did the same for C-47's that were flying over the hump in North India. So there is a love of aircraft in the family, though none of us are fliers.

Untill the Warthog, the P-38 was probably the best ground attack aircraft in the world. Had they been used for search and destroy on enemy airfields during the early part of the war, we probably would not have lost so many pilots and planes to the ill matched turbochargers on the Allisons. And would have inflicted some real damage on the Luftwafte.

If you're a serious aviation fan there are three things I'd strongly recommend:

1. Farnborough Air Show, Farnborough, UK, held in even-numbered years. In odd years it's in Paris but not nearly as good.

2. RAF Hendon/RAF Cosford. Now called "RAF Museums" - excellent static display of mostly British and American fighters and bombers with a good sprinkling of very early aircraft and various models of note from other countries.

3. Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington, UK. A World War II bomber base that was upgraded for U.S. B52s in the cold war. Recreated and maintained as it was during WWII.

Links:
Farnborough International Airshow Public 2014 - Home
RAF Museum in London RAF Museum Cosford - free family fun activities
Home of the Allied Air Forces Memorial

For early aviation, best is at #2 in the Grahame-White Aircraft Factory Building. It's closed just now but should re-open in December after a major addition.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...White_Factory_interior,_RAF_Museum_London.jpg

Forum List

Back