Google is not an Educational tool

Google is a very useful research tool. But the quality of information one acquires via Google depends entirely on one's ability to discern, evaluate and make critical judgments.

Thanks,

So it seems nobody is stating that teachers specifically tell students to go home and do a search.

I understand the sensitivity of the issue of the ordering of search results , and how such ordering can be manipulated. The results of certain politically sensitive searches can be rather interesting. For example, if a user does a text search using only the name of HITLER, the search results are ordered in way that is obviously meant to be politically correct.

But if one does an IMAGE search on the name HITLER, the results come back in an order much more unorthodox and provocative. For example an image search on HITLER returns 12 million images. Unexpectedly, the third image in the search result is associated with a site that features Adolf Hitler Jokes!

I did the Hitler search using "images", at the top I got this site with this image.

OBAMA IS LITERALLY HITLER

This thread is stupid. Of course schools encourage their students to use every tool available to them to learn.

I rather doubt that. Wouldn't a national reading list classified by age and subject be a pretty damned inexpensive way to provide tools to kids for learning. Ever heard it suggested by any educators?

Information is randomized so most kids encounter shallow garbage most of the time. Then you grow up and most adults hide important information from each other.

That is the cool thing about reading sci-fi. It contains the perspective of smarter than average adults. At least it did in the 60s. SF has been getting steadily dumber since the 70s. The Star Wars effect I guess.

Try some Mack Reynolds.

Ultima Thule by Dallas McCord Reynolds
The Project Gutenberg EBook of Ultima Thule by Dallas McCord Reynolds

psik

Forum List

Back