Google is not an Educational tool

mdn2000

Rookie
Sep 27, 2009
conservative hell california
People constantly use Google as a source, as an educational tool. I like to say Google is not a source.

I am just curious if the teachers in school tell the kids to go home and use Google or the internet to do homework.

If so I think that is wrong, the teacher unions, the government, the people in government can pay Google so that their ideas are found.

So a teacher states the USA is Satan, the teacher tells children to look it up. The child goes home, does a Google search and finds the answer the teacher paid to found.

So does the schools tell children to use the internet for homework.

People constantly use Google as a source, as an educational tool. I like to say Google is not a source.

I am just curious if the teachers in school tell the kids to go home and use Google or the internet to do homework.

If so I think that is wrong, the teacher unions, the government, the people in government can pay Google so that their ideas are found.

So a teacher states the USA is Satan, the teacher tells children to look it up. The child goes home, does a Google search and finds the answer the teacher paid to found.

Tell me you're a right winger. Don't embarrass the left.

You hit a nerve because rdean is convinced that posting stuff he Googles makes him "Smart"

• Banned

You hit a nerve because rdean is convinced that posting stuff he Googles makes him "Smart"

Rdean is not a girl?

Its a valid point, I am just wondering how much teachers push or do not push the internet. Is it school policy or is it not, is it a national policy, does the department of education push the internet.

Google is a search engine not a source.

Google is used to find sources.

There are methods of distorting the search to make some things more likely to come to the TOP OF THE SEARCH but the searcher can still go farther down the list. The OP does sound kind of absurd.

psik

GOOG is not an educational tool, just like Facebook is not a way to connect with your friends.

They are both advertising companies that provide a consumer service for free with the agenda of gathering up tons of personal data in order to "monetize" ones behavior by selling ads.

They often cross the line of violating one's privacy, which is why I avoid using them as much as possible. Sadly, due to the Big Business-Big Government cronyism which is rampant today, there is so much technology consolidation that is it getting increasingly difficult to avoid the two of them.

Example. This weekend I wanted to send an egreeting to a friend for her birthday. egreetings now has a bunch of Facebook integration. Well, nix that. So I went to Hallmark and bought a greeting. Hallmark also has a Facebook option, but I chose standard email delivery.

Rdean is not a girl?

Its a valid point, I am just wondering how much teachers push or do not push the internet. Is it school policy or is it not, is it a national policy, does the department of education push the internet.

He may well be a girl.

rdean is not a girl.

At most, he's a PAT.

Rdean is not a girl?

As a source of general information im sure teachers encourage using the internet. Google has become culturally engrained, hell its even used colloquially as a verb: "I dont the answer. I am going to google it." However, if you are writing a paper and you use a website as a source teachers and professors will usually disapprove(depending on the source). Generally, print is still perferred but actual peer reviewed articles, generally from journals, on certain internet sites may work. I graduated high school in 2005 and college in 2009 but i doubt all that much has changed.

Last edited:
If you use Google merely to find articles from Fox news, then sure, it's bullshit.

Think an Asian trip costing 200 million dollars a day. ( I still can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to believe that story.)

Think, "Less than a week after Fox News host and conservative pundit Sean Hannity apologized for accidentally using the wrong footage from Glenn Beck's "9/12 Rally" as footage for Rep. Michelle Bachmann's "Super Bowl of Freedom" rally, the network used the wrong footage in another story. This time, they used the wrong footage for a story on the "crowds" that showed up during Sarah Palin's book tour."

Fox News caught using wrong footage ... again

The times Fox says "Oops, it was a mistake" are endless.

Now, if you want to use a reputable source, such as "PEW" Research, which says a measly 6% of scientists are Republican, that's different.

Of course, Republicans insist that's a lie, even though that party is hardly friendly to education, worse, the majority believe Noah's Ark is a "true story". Google can help explain why that is not so.

Last edited by a moderator:
People constantly use Google as a source

With such a flawed premise, the rest is sure to be bullshit

Its not so much a premise as it is what I believe and as far as the rest goes, I am honestly curious to know if teachers specifically tell students to use the internet.

There was no internet when I went to school, so I want to know.

Of course I want to know because I believe students are told this, but I do not know. I also believe the Government or the Teacher's union, will plant an idea in a kids head and tell them to go home and look it up on the internet. So can teachers or government pay google for their idea to be found.

I do know that Obama pays for his policy talking points to be found first and the result links to a campaign donation website

So are students told to use the internet.

As far as if google is an educational tool, the title of this thread is my belief, not something I wished to debate. I guess I should of used another title.

Too much advertising to be an educational tool. Google is an advertising tool with limited educational value.

Google is a very useful research tool. But the quality of information one acqires via Google depends entirely on one's ability to discern, evaluate and make critical judgments.

Forum List

Back