Google Drive

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Does anyone use it? Can you explain it to us? I understand it has a variety of items such as a word processor, data sheet, and even a graphics area. Does it onl ywork with Chrome or will other browsers work too?

These questions come about because of an article in PCWorld asking, Do you need a backup if you use Google Docs or Office 365? @ Do you need a backup if you use Google Docs or Office 365?

Google Drive is where you can share your files with Google :D

I have been using mega but its future and privacy is now questioned.

I've experimented with it and the only thing I sorta like is Draw. It seems a whole lot easier than any of the other such programs I've tried.

I used GD to upload some files to send, then forgot about it for a while. Then I needed to send more files, opened it up, and found the GD thing has been scanning my files and loading things to its cloud -- files I never intended to send anywhere, some files I didn't even know I had. This is the intrusive horseshit that googledrives me nuts. I deleted all the files I saw but from what I read there's no way to turn the blasted thing off. I'll never use it again, ever.

I used GD to upload some files to send, then forgot about it for a while. Then I needed to send more files, opened it up, and found the GD thing has been scanning my files and loading things to its cloud -- files I never intended to send anywhere, some files I didn't even know I had. This is the intrusive horseshit that googledrives me nuts. I deleted all the files I saw but from what I read there's no way to turn the blasted thing off. I'll never use it again, ever.

Can't you just remove if from your programs?

It's really pretty simple.

If you don't want to sync files but do want to keep Google Drive installed, you can disconnect your account from the app on your computer.

Your files will still be stored at drive.google.com.

1. Click the Google Drive icon
    HVvc_brIYSIvUGoLI5Q8Hz4klT74G6Mp0uzKUM33tuEuvtKEjGjLI3Uj7p0t53nsq9d6=w18
    • On a Mac, the icon is usually in the menu bar at the top right of the screen.
    • On a PC, the icon is usually in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen.
  2. In the top right, click More
    bqH_aHdD333GJeJWz6Huh9_T4xuc6XRgeBuH4g55I14E-E8H0F77gv1dpIL-C6As7S6h=w18
    > Preferences.

3. Click Account > Disconnect account.
  4. In the window that appears, click Disconnect.

It's really pretty simple.

If you don't want to sync files but do want to keep Google Drive installed, you can disconnect your account from the app on your computer.

Your files will still be stored at drive.google.com.

1. Click the Google Drive icon
    HVvc_brIYSIvUGoLI5Q8Hz4klT74G6Mp0uzKUM33tuEuvtKEjGjLI3Uj7p0t53nsq9d6=w18
    • On a Mac, the icon is usually in the menu bar at the top right of the screen.
    • On a PC, the icon is usually in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen.
  2. In the top right, click More
    bqH_aHdD333GJeJWz6Huh9_T4xuc6XRgeBuH4g55I14E-E8H0F77gv1dpIL-C6As7S6h=w18
    > Preferences.

3. Click Account > Disconnect account.
  4. In the window that appears, click Disconnect.

I don't have an "app" or a program. It's just a page that opens out of the accessories panel in GMail. There's no place to find a "sync" in there except there are options to let the monster automatically grab photos and docs, both of which I had unchecked.

Just looked in there and it hasn't grabbed anything new since I last looked in there, which is about three weeks.

The only way I can see to sever the cord would be to close my Gmail account, and that's a PITA. But if they ever pull this shit again I'll do it anyway.

I found the same thing sort of going on --- or at least enabled --- in DropBox, where there's a "synch" setting, presumably to let it snoop in and grab stuff. I found it while troubleshooting. It hadn't taken anything but I turned it off in case it was gumming up my uploads. Until I read the help page I didn't know it even existed.

It never even occurs to me that software would do things like that as a default, and think users expect to be burglarized. I guess it's something that has to be looked into for anything that has a capability of moving a file at all.

That sucks. Would make me irate if it was loading my stuff .... I do not have it..

Forum List

Back