Google Chrome or Firefox web browser?

Videos are crap in FireFox. I like it for most other things but I have to watch YouTube & other videos in IE9

So I've been using Firefox for a few years now but was recently turned on to TACO addon. There's where the problem started. It will periodically lock up Firefox for a few seconds every so often, and often enough to be quite aggravating. So I did a little research and yes, other Firefox users have complained of the same thing. My son runs google chrome and it appears this doesn't happen with that. So I've installed google chrome and I'm just starting to test drive it some. Pretty different from Firefox so it'll take some getting used to. But, the locking up issue with TACO is gone with the chrome. I reinstalled Adblock Plus also. Can't live without them now.

But I'm wondering, google chrome or Firefox? What are your preferences?

Please don't say Internet Explorer 9 ... :eusa_hand:

I used to use IE, but I use Firefox now.

Mamooth wrote: My plugin list -- designed for privacy and security -- is:

Adblock Plus (blocks most ads)
Ghostery (blocks tracking cookies. There are currently 4 tracking cookies on this board.)
Flashblock (Flash animations only play if you click on them)
NoScript (javascript scripts don't run without permission)
BetterPrivacy (blocks LSO/Flash cookies)

I put these in and now something is blocking the MyJuno home page...

... from showing the news categories...

... any ideas?
:eusa_eh:

Mamooth wrote: My plugin list -- designed for privacy and security -- is:

Adblock Plus (blocks most ads)
Ghostery (blocks tracking cookies. There are currently 4 tracking cookies on this board.)
Flashblock (Flash animations only play if you click on them)
NoScript (javascript scripts don't run without permission)
BetterPrivacy (blocks LSO/Flash cookies)

I put these in and now something is blocking the MyJuno home page...

... from showing the news categories...

... any ideas?

Probably NoScript, I don't recommend it for the casual user. You need to see what scripts are being blocked, and allow the ones needed to run your news section.

quantum wrote: Probably NoScript, I don't recommend it for the casual user. You need to see what scripts are being blocked, and allow the ones needed to run your news section.

Nope...
... I uninstalled NoScript & still have the problem.
:confused:

I've tried other browsers, but keep returning to K-Meleon from kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

What! you might say ..:eusa_angel:

Exactly, nobody's heard of it. It's small and fast, stops Adverts and Flash dead.

Works fine on Youtube and 'other' video sites .. and importantly, doesn't keep track of everywhere you go, and what you download.:eusa_clap:

It's highly configurable and can represent itself to other sites as Firefox if you wish.

Sites like Youtube report 'your browser is not supported' - but actually I'm happy about that. No unwanted scripts can run amok if sites don't recognise what browser you're running.:razz:

I've been running it for years, so it's very old - but still my preference.

Chrome looks over your shoulder far too much for me.:eusa_shhh:

retro wrote: Works fine on Youtube and 'other' video sites...

... and then...

... Sites like Youtube report 'your browser is not supported'...

Could you clarify?...

... also, is it for Linux?...

... I tried installing it in XP but kept getting errors for every file being installed.

retro wrote: Works fine on Youtube and 'other' video sites...

... and then...

... Sites like Youtube report 'your browser is not supported'...

Could you clarify?...

... also, is it for Linux?...

... I tried installing it in XP but kept getting errors for every file being installed.

Phew, I've never had any problems with installation myself Waltky. :confused:

I'm also using XP at the moment, but I've used it in Vista and Windows7 previously with no problems.

Aren't computers wonderful? :eusa_angel:

There are different versions - I'm using Version 1.5.4. For me installation runs smoothly to the default directory on c:\ with no intervention required on my part. Perhaps you are trying the Version 1.6 beta? I should stick with 1.5.4 as it's the current stable version.

Does it say what type of errors are occurring? You could try another download, in case you just happened to get a bad copy.

Check out : kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/InstallationGuide

I think it's specifically for Windows, using the basic Firefox engine. No Linux as far as I know.

Sorry you couldn't get it to install - I've had it so long I'm amazed there are any problems.

Youtube has been moaning at me for ages - I just ignore it, and it still works.
I think companies just keep trying to get you to move to their 'favoured' browsers.
There's probably something in it for them for every convert .. ;)

Hope you get it working .. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Ive been using FF a long time. I try them all, recently I was using Seamonkey for about 3 months, its NetScape Nav basis with FF addons and thunderbird mail...it does not have fullf functionality with all FF addons and thats why I went back to FF betas.
Ive tried safari, chrome, opera etc...and I always come back to FF...one thing is a certaintly I do not like or use IE

Forum List

Back