Google Chrome or Firefox web browser?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
So I've been using Firefox for a few years now but was recently turned on to TACO addon. There's where the problem started. It will periodically lock up Firefox for a few seconds every so often, and often enough to be quite aggravating. So I did a little research and yes, other Firefox users have complained of the same thing. My son runs google chrome and it appears this doesn't happen with that. So I've installed google chrome and I'm just starting to test drive it some. Pretty different from Firefox so it'll take some getting used to. But, the locking up issue with TACO is gone with the chrome. I reinstalled Adblock Plus also. Can't live without them now.

But I'm wondering, google chrome or Firefox? What are your preferences?

Please don't say Internet Explorer 9 ... :eusa_hand:

What does TACO do?

I've uninstalled FF and re-installed the older 4.0 because I missed all the older add-ons.
I keep most of them disabled until I need 'em so they don;t interfere with what I'm doing.

Chrome works fine for me. No real compliants.
I just LIKE FF better.

:cool:

Use Ghostery instead of TACO.
It does the same thing...in fact I believe it is older than TACO.
I have been using Ghostery for at least a year or so - and never a problem in FF.

What does TACO do?

I've uninstalled FF and re-installed the older 4.0 because I missed all the older add-ons.
I keep most of them disabled until I need 'em so they don;t interfere with what I'm doing.

I just LIKE FF better.

I like Firefox better myself, but that could just be because I'm so used to it.

There's a link to TACO in my OP, just click on TACO and it will tell you all about it.

I have been using Ghostery for at least a year or so - and never a problem in FF.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/reviews/

I don't know... so far I've been using google chrome all day, and I must say, I prefer Firefox over this chrome by far. But, the problem of the browser locking up from TACO is gone.

Hmmm... what to do... :doubt:

What does TACO do?

I just LIKE FF better.

I like Firefox better myself, but that could just be because I'm so used to it.

There's a link to TACO in my OP, just click on TACO and it will tell you all about it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/reviews/

I use ghostery too.
Also use StopScript and AdBlockerPlus

Firefox was my engine of choice for years. Then they did an upgrade that totally messed up the way they did news reading. That was when Chrome first came out, and i switched then and have not gone back

Use to use Firefox but it got slow so I switched to Chrome and never looked back. I sometimes use IE since some webpages requires IE exclusively.. but IE9 aint bad either.

I've been using Chrome since it first came out and I really like it. At first, I thought it was much faster and more stable than Firefox, but on reflection I think that was mostly because of all the plugins I had installed. If you aren't interested in learning a new interface, you might try uninstalling from Firefox all the plugins you aren't using.

Use to use Firefox but it got slow so I switched to Chrome and never looked back. I sometimes use IE since some webpages requires IE exclusively.. but IE9 aint bad either.

Yeah I'm really liking this Google Chrome. Once I watched a few videos on features and how to use them, and I've got it pretty well customized and all set up, I do like it better than FF. I love the "most visited" webpage page. I have set that to my new home page which I haven't changed in ten years, but my old home page is on the "most visited" page. I think chrome might be a tad faster than FF for browsing too. I like chromes "bookmark bar" too. Yeah I'm liking the chrome, and the lock up problem from TACO, gone.

If you have both Firefox and Chrome installed on your computer, you can use the pair to troubleshoot connection and other issues. For example, if a website does not load in Firefox, you can open Chrome to check the website. Additionally, if you create websites, you can install both browsers so that you can check your pages for discrepancies (because different browsers can render code differently).

I had to do that just now as this page froze on FF.
So while I was waiting I opened Chrome

Chrome (-ium) loads websites faster and in standard configuration displays text of Websites nicer.
Firefox consumes less memory.
I use Firefox.

Started using Firefox several years ago, found it offered more features and options than Explorer. However, after installing the last update I've had trouble with repeated "Not Responding" and "Warning Unresponsive Script" messages, plus extremely slow response time. Followed the Troubleshooting and Help instructions, but nothing suggested worked. I'm on a high-speed DSL connection so know that's not it.

Decreased the hardware accelerator and changed the monitor refresh rate as suggested. That seemed to help for a while, but now it's back to it's old habits. I also downloaded and installed an updated graphics driver, which was also suggested.

Anyone have any ideas not in the Firefox Virtual How-To Manual?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back