Google avoids a Bush on Obama, defuses bomb in a few days, not years!

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Washington, Jan.31: It took four years for Google to address the Google bomb that was lobbed at former President Bush, but just a few days to defuse the same attack on President Obama.

Four years versus a few days ... Some Googlers are asking why.

In 2003, President Bush's detractors successfully gamed the Google search engine by arranging to have countless Web sites link the words "miserable failure" to Bush's official biography on the White House Web site.

The result was that when someone typed the search term "miserable failure" into the Google search box, Bush's biography rose to the top of the search results.

And, according to Fox News, that's how it stayed until 2007, when Google developed an algorithm to detect what became known as "Google bombs" and re-directed the term "miserable failure" to non-political pages.

Unfortunately for Obama, "miserable failure" reverted back to his biography when he moved into the White House. The new president was also Google-bombed with the phrase "cheerful achievement."

But this time, Google stepped in quickly, rectifying the situation in a few days, instead of four years.

The difference in time did not go unnoticed.

"You let this go on for the entire Bush administration," a reader named w3bgrrl wrote on a Google blog. "But since you bought the White House for Obama, you don't want your candidates harmed ... And your claims not withstanding, even liberals know you're liberal."

But another writer, Mikkel deMib Svendsen, gave Google the benefit of the doubt.

"I do think many of [Google employees] are liberals but I am also 100% confident that the large majority of them are also very professional people that take the job of creating a good and unbiased search engine very, very seriously," he wrote.

--- ANI

Google avoids a Bush on Obama, defuses bomb in a few days, not years! .:. NewKerala - India 's Top Online Newspaper

I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Google CEO Eric Schmidt Backs Obama, Will Hit Campaign Trail

Google Inc. Chief Executive Eric Schmidt will hit the campaign trail this week on behalf of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, signaling Mr. Schmidt's push for a greater voice in politics while giving the Obama campaign a boost from a highly desirable constituency.
[Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt in Washington earlier this year. He plans to campaign for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Although the Internet-search company has numerous issues pending on Capitol Hill, Mr. Schmidt said in an interview that "I'm doing this personally," adding that "Google is officially neutral" in the campaign.

Actually as it takes time to diffuse such a bomb the first time the second time you only have to vary the algorythm a bit to take care of it.

Actually as it takes time to diffuse such a bomb the first time the second time you only have to vary the algorythm a bit to take care of it.
There is no excuse for taking four years to "fix" the algorithm, as if they just discovered it...

The idea that they are an "unbiased" search engine is laughable.

Google just learned how to do it right, so this time it wouldn't take as long ... come on people, ever hear of 'learning'?

Funny ... so after doing something once you have to relearn it? No wonder why people can watch the same thing over and over again and still think it's new.
no, i just doubt they tried for 4 years

Have you ever written a program? Thought not ...
LOL
yeah, cause it was so hard to do
come on, admit it
there are programs made in less time

face it, they didnt give a shit to fix it for 4 years
then finally did near the end of his last term

Last edited:
no, i just doubt they tried for 4 years

LOL
come on, admit it

It depends on a lot of factors ... the algorithm development, more important projects getting done first, etc.. If Obama was the first it would probably have taken about as long this time, but once you know what to look for and how to tell the computer to find it all you have to do is change the original code a little when the same thing happens. You just want to find favoritism even when there is none.

LOL
come on, admit it

It depends on a lot of factors ... the algorithm development, more important projects getting done first, etc.. If Obama was the first it would probably have taken about as long this time, but once you know what to look for and how to tell the computer to find it all you have to do is change the original code a little when the same thing happens. You just want to find favoritism even when there is none.
come on, KK, you know full well it wouldnt take them 4 FUCKIN years to fix that google bomb issue
you are only kidding yourself here
yoiu so much dont want there to be proof of googles bias that you refuse to accept reality
they didnt give a shit to fix it
they likely put a higher priority on the different images they changed to for different holidays than they did to fixing that

while i will agree that the speed in which they fixed the Obama one was due to them already having the fix, but they didnt try to fix it for bush till way late

Google just learned how to do it right, so this time it wouldn't take as long ... come on people, ever hear of 'learning'?

You have got to be kidding me. I have written programs in many languages, including languages like C# and Java and some that don't even exist anymore. My degrees are in Physics, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering. It took them 4 years to fix an algorithm? I don't think so. The CEO of Google was totally against Bush (as was I) and campaigned for Obama. If he wants to paint Bush in a negative light, that's fine. Just don't claim that your company is unbiased.

Your post is simply an admission that you support Obama and hate Bush and are willing to ignore the obvious for political reasons. Don't claim to be unbiased yourself by going out on a ridiculous limb and make a lame excuse for Google and then try to back it up by saying you're a programmer. If you really are a programmer and believe what you just posted, you're one of the reasons why people like me have to hire foreigners for technical jobs in America.

Bush II was a miserable failure.

Google, nevertheless, should have fixed that algrithm, sooner.

Their political bias was showing, I think.

domesticly, i would agree, he pretty much abdicated his responsibility as a check on congressional spending to try to "get along"
yet no one ever gave him credit for that, and wrongly called him "divisive"
what a crock

but in his job as CinC he did an ok job

LOL. OK, it takes four years to fix what a liberal did to the google engine, but only a few days to fix what a conservative did. Simple proof that conservatives are nowhere as near as smart as liberals.:razz:

domesticly, i would agree, he pretty much abdicated his responsibility as a check on congressional spending to try to "get along"
yet no one ever gave him credit for that, and wrongly called him "divisive"
what a crock

but in his job as CinC he did an ok job

Sure he did. Failed in two wars. Failed to get the murderer of 3000 Americans on American soil. Bush has been a damned incompetant fool at home and abroad. He will truly be remembered as the worst President that this nation has ever had the misfortune to have infest the White House.

LOL. OK, it takes four years to fix what a liberal did to the google engine, but only a few days to fix what a conservative did. Simple proof that conservatives are nowhere as near as smart as liberals.:razz:
what a fucking DUMB thing to say

Forum List

Back