Goofy me and bees

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Went to fill the dogs water bowl up that is outside by the spigot (they have another big bowl in the house I put ice cubes in to keep it nice and cool for them) and found a bee swimming around. So I stuck my hand in there and fished it out. Ex was standing there and said "you're gonna get stung" and the SIL screamed and ran in the house while it was feebly crawling around in my palm then latched on to my point finger. I said no it won't. Bees sting when threatened. I just saved its life. AND, bees can recognize human faces. True story). It would remember me and tell its friends when they eventually arrive.

So for the next half hour I let it sit there then slowwwwwly get to the tip of my finger where it commenced to clean itself. I blew on it to help under the wings to get dry. I even lifted its wings with a fingernail from my other hand. I hawwwwed on it with warm breath and it shivered all over so I sat in the sun, bee on finger.

When it lifted its butt to wipe with its legs, I knew it was fixing to prepare for take off. And it did. SIL looked at me like I was crazy. Ex just shook his head. He knows when we used to go to Maui, I used to hang out at the pool just to fish bees out of there. Doing it in the dog water bucket was no different.

It flew off happily, albeit a bit damp. Any bee I can help, helps everyone. My yard is usually FULL of bees. This year so far, very few. No way was I going to let this one die. And it didn't.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Oh, and before I forget, my hummer that greets me every morning, patiently waited til I was done with the bee then came over and hovered in front of my face. I knew what it wanted. A bath. So I got the hose, put it on fine mist and it happily hovered in the spray til it was satisfied then landed on a branch to shake the water off, then headed to the feeder, drank, buzzed back over to me like it was thanking me and away it went. Every morning it greets me. Every other day, it gets its bath.

Oh, and before I forget, my hummer that greets me every morning, patiently waited til I was done with the bee then came over and hovered in front of my face. I knew what it wanted. A bath. So I got the hose, put it on fine mist and it happily hovered in the spray til it was satisfied then landed on a branch to shake the water off, then headed to the feeder, drank, buzzed back over to me like it was thanking me and away it went. Every morning it greets me. Every other day, it gets its bath.

I think about keeping bees some times. I could stack them up on 5 acres that I would grow local wild flowers on. Locally produced honey is said to help with allergy's. I just dont know what I would do with the surplus honey.

Went to fill the dogs water bowl up that is outside by the spigot (they have another big bowl in the house I put ice cubes in to keep it nice and cool for them) and found a bee swimming around. So I stuck my hand in there and fished it out. Ex was standing there and said "you're gonna get stung" and the SIL screamed and ran in the house while it was feebly crawling around in my palm then latched on to my point finger. I said no it won't. Bees sting when threatened. I just saved its life. AND, bees can recognize human faces. True story). It would remember me and tell its friends when they eventually arrive.

So for the next half hour I let it sit there then slowwwwwly get to the tip of my finger where it commenced to clean itself. I blew on it to help under the wings to get dry. I even lifted its wings with a fingernail from my other hand. I hawwwwed on it with warm breath and it shivered all over so I sat in the sun, bee on finger.

When it lifted its butt to wipe with its legs, I knew it was fixing to prepare for take off. And it did. SIL looked at me like I was crazy. Ex just shook his head. He knows when we used to go to Maui, I used to hang out at the pool just to fish bees out of there. Doing it in the dog water bucket was no different.

It flew off happily, albeit a bit damp. Any bee I can help, helps everyone. My yard is usually FULL of bees. This year so far, very few. No way was I going to let this one die. And it didn't.

Good for you.

Honey bees aren't just your friend, they're an integral part of the econo system this world depends on. They pollinate so many plants that mankind and the rest of the living world counts on, that they ought to get paid for the work they do.

One of the things I'm finding somewhat troubling is over the last twenty years or so there seems to be less honey bees flying around.

Anybody else notice this trend or is this just a local phenomena?

Good for you.

Honey bees aren't just your friend, they're an integral part of the econo system this world depends on. They pollinate so many plants that mankind and the rest of the living world counts on, that they ought to get paid for the work they do.

One of the things I'm finding somewhat troubling is over the last twenty years or so there seems to be less honey bees flying around.

Anybody else notice this trend or is this just a local phenomena?

Yes, for about two years but this year they are all over the place. I think there is some type of virus going through the hives.

It's possible that you might be a nutty gal. A good gal BUT maybe a little bit nutty...:lol:

Forum List

Back