Goodwill good guy Man finds $2,000 in shirt, turns it in

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/apr05/318226.asp
Goodwill good guy
Man finds $2,000 in shirt, turns it in

West Bend - When Larry Hoffman went shopping at the Goodwill store in West Bend on April Fools' Day, he was looking for a bargain, not a treasure.

There was treasure, though, in the bargain that he found: $2,000 in cash inside the pocket of a secondhand shirt.

No one would have ever known if Hoffman had kept the money. But he gave it back.

No fooling.

"If there's a one-tenth of 1 percent chance that somebody's going to claim it," Hoffman said Wednesday, "they should have that opportunity."

The rightful owner has 90 days to claim the money. After that, Hoffman can claim it.

Hoffman, 69, a former sales engineer who lives in West Bend, said he's a regular customer at the Goodwill store in town. "Being retired, it's a habit of mine to stop in and peruse for bargains," he said.

Hoffman bought the shirt on April 1 and tried it on when he got home. Wouldn't you know, it was too small. Then he found the cash stuffed in the pocket.

Hoffman said he returned to the store later that day, not fretting long about what to do.

"The money certainly wasn't mine. It belonged to somebody else, obviously," he said. "That person was certainly on my mind more than me."

Customers have returned small amounts of money they have found in clothing in the past, "but nothing on this scale," said Rebecca Johnson, who has managed the Goodwill store for six years.

Goodwill has no way to trace where the shirt came from, so a few days after Hoffman returned the money, Johnson called West Bend police, who took a report on April 5.

On Wednesday, officers said they wouldn't describe the shirt or the denominations of the bills that were found, but are ready to talk to anyone who can rightly claim the money.

Hoffman said his wife, Charlotte, didn't learn about the entire episode until hearing a telephone message from a reporter who had seen the police report. He said she agreed with his decision, and there wasn't really any reason to tell her - unless he had found money that he would keep.

That's still a possibility in the case of the $2,000. If no one claims the money after 90 days, Hoffman can claim it - otherwise, it goes to the city.

Hoffman said he'll worry about that decision if and when he has to make it. In the meantime, he's comfortable with what he's done so far.

"When we were kids, it was always 'finders keepers, losers weepers,' " Hoffman said. "But that's not really the case. You've got to keep the losers from weeping too much."

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Good for him.
Can't say I would have done the same though.
I'm ashamed of myself (sigh)

Why's that good for him?

I dunno bout you, but I'm a good guy - if I found 2k at Goodwill - in cash; I'd likely have to be hanging on to it for safekeeping...

Who's gonna claim it? some doper or welfare recipient?

"....can you describe the cash? Yeah it was green and square. WOW, YEP!!!! Must be yours here you go!"

-Cp said:
Why's that good for him?

I dunno bout you, but I'm a good guy - if I found 2k at Goodwill - in cash; I'd likely have to be hanging on to it for safekeeping...

Who's gonna claim it? some doper or welfare recipient?

"....can you describe the cash? Yeah it was green and square. WOW, YEP!!!! Must be yours here you go!"
I'm just saying "good for him" because money must not be everything to him.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I'm just saying "good for him" because money must not be everything to him.

I think we have a case of someone not realising it when "good luck" comes knocking on their door...

-Cp said:
I think we have a case of someone not realising it when "good luck" comes knocking on their door...
In your eyes.
In his eyes he noticed someone elses misfortune, who was kind enough to give
clothes to the needy. I'm sure the store will not advertise the found money,
in hopes to find the true owner.

gop_jeff said:
If it's on the internet, too late for that! :)
True... They never described the shirt which they police seem to be using
for proper identification. To me, the man refused to profit on someone elses
misfortune. Some one else might, but he didn't.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
In your eyes.
In his eyes he noticed someone elses misfortune, who was kind enough to give
clothes to the needy. I'm sure the store will not advertise the found money,
in hopes to find the true owner.

You'd have a good arguement if there was any viable way of finding its "true owner"...

-Cp said:
You'd have a good arguement if there was any viable way of finding its "true owner"...
Would you then agree that his intentions were good?
(maybe not logical, but good).

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Would you then agree that his intentions were good?
(maybe not logical, but good).

I never took issue w/ this intentions..>:D

-Cp said:
I never took issue w/ his intentions..>:D
Cool, that's why I said "good for him".
I need to fight traffic on the way home so I don't
sound like such a bleeder anymore.
Been a long day.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Cool, that's why I said "good for him".
I need to fight traffic on the way home so I don't
sound like such a bleeder anymore.
Been a long day.
I was told in my "sessions" that this might happen.
I know alot of soldiers who have turned Lib now.
I'm fighting it dude....No puppies, No land made of marshmellows...
MUST... CLEAR... HEAD
;aiwufgy0qtfqiy ;t

i'm going home to drink a beer.

Heh. That's where I live. :) You really *can* leave your keys in your car and your car running out here.

Forum List

Back