Goodreads

Seems silly that I just now joined. They've been around awhile, and I've always been a reader.

It's a great way to find books you might otherwise not even hear about since their "book shelf" feature (you can create you own shelves) will make recommendations of books you might be interested in based on what you have on your shelves. NoveList does something similar.

There are actually some very good reviewers over there who could or should be professional writers in their own right based on the quality of their reviews. One person who stands out in my mind is Paquita Maria Sanchez who writes some very inventive, funny, and freewheeling reviews which are often more entertaining then what many well known essayists get paid good money to write.

I first saw one of her reviews when I added "The Angel Esmeralda: Nine Stories" by Don DeLillo to my short story shelf a couple of months ago (which I just finished this week).

I may have gone a scosh overboard on the whole shelf business (I have about 50) since I wanted to get the best use out of the book referral function which gets somewhat skewed if historical fiction and black comedies are all lumped together under fiction, or when philosophy and economics are all lumped together under nonfiction.

At any rate, it's a great site. You'll get a lot out of it, I'm sure.

• Banned
My nephew got a lot of great reviews from them - and I didn't even join then. But recently a friend started wearing her GR sig for how many books she intends to read, and that got me over there.

How long have y'all been members?

Iam, have they fixed the Fire part about not streaming Netflix properly (that you know of?)
I don't know, I don't watch videos on it much at all.
I wouldn't recommend Fire though - Amazon has it waay too locked down. Android is an outstanding operating system, better than iPad really...but Amazon has locked out half of the abilities.

Forum List

Back