Goodbye Ronnie

Jimmyeatworld

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2004
America
Didn't really know what board to put this on, but the political one seemed fitting enough.

Ronald Reagan passed away just a few minutes ago. I can't say that it's a shock when a 93 year old man with Alzhiemers passes on, but it certainly doesn't make it any less sad. I know not everyone that comes here agrees that Reagan was a great President, but anyone that ever came in contact with him, no matter what their politcal leanings, had to admit that he was a great man. An optimist that truly loved his country, and he will be missed.

I was about to start a thread on that. Ronald Reagan was the best president since Abraham Lincoln. Ronald had morals, he had courage, if it wasnt for him, the Soviet Union would be around today. He should be remembered for the years to come. May good old Ronnie finally be at peace.

Damn Jimmy you beat me to this.

I turned the t.v. off for a couple of minutes, I come back, and he's dead.

Ronald Regan was one of the greatest President's we've ever had, and he is no doubt with God now.

Goodbye Mr. Regan....

The greatest president we've had in the last 140 years. He's in a better place right now. I can tell you i'd rather be dead then to lose my mind to Alzheimers.

All eloquence escapes me. All poetic rhetoric has fled from my grasp. All that is left is one thing to utter in Ronald Reagan's honor & memory:

THANK YOU & WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!

Originally posted by OCA
The greatest president we've had in the last 140 years. He's in a better place right now. I can tell you i'd rather be dead then to lose my mind to Alzheimers.

You have no idea how right you are.

My family is having to endure that now.

I'll leave all discussion of Reagan's politics and presidency aside for now....I'll just say that I believe Reagan did one thing America desparately needed in 1980 - he restored the hope of the American dream, and the belief in the American way of life.

May he Rest in Peace.

acludem

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Yes, that would be a good idea!

Yes it is for now. we can debate that at a later more appropriate. time. It should be debated. especially since the former President restored hope to American because of his policies. And i think he would want us to continue his fight to make this nation great.

But for now. we mourn the loss of a great man.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63813,00.html

Reagan In His Own Words

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Nicknamed "the Great Communicator," Ronald Reagan was both one of the best political orators of the 20th Century and a self-deprecating wit. Following is a collection of some classic Reaganisms.

• "I did turn 75 today -- but remember, that's only 24 Celsius."

• "It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?"

• "A friend of mine was asked to a costume ball a short time ago. He slapped some egg on his face and went as a liberal economist."

• To wife Nancy after John Hinckley, Jr.'s 1981 assassination attempt: "Honey, I forgot to duck."

• During a 1984 debate with Walter Mondale: "I'm not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

• "You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans."

• "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

• In testing the microphone for his weekly radio address, Reagan declared, ''My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today I've just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.''

• "Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

• "Mr. President," TV reporter Sam Donaldson yelled out at Reagan after a 1982 press conference, "In talking about the continuing recession tonight, you have blamed the mistakes of the past and you've blamed Congress. Does any of the blame belong to you?" Reagan responded, "Yes, because for many years I was a Democrat."

• "Now, so there will be no misunderstanding, it's not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work -- work with us, not over us; to stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it."

• "Well, this administration's objective will be a healthy, vigorous, growing economy that provides equal opportunity for all Americans, with no barriers born of bigotry or discrimination."

• "Above all we must realize that no arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."

• "I hope you're all Republicans," he told doctors who were about to operate on his bullet wounds.

• "Did we forget that government is the people's business, and every man, woman and child becomes a shareholder with the first penny of taxes paid?"

• "We do not have a trillion dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough. We have a trillion dollar debt because we spend too much."

• "But with these considerations firmly in mind, I call upon the scientific community in our country, those who gave us nuclear weapons, to turn their great talents now to the cause of mankind and world peace, to give us the means of rendering these nuclear weapons impotent and obsolete."

• "Abortion is advocated only by persons who themselves have been born."

• "Politics is a very rewarding profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

• "America is too great for small dreams."

• "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we can always be free."

• "Government growing beyond our consent had become a lumbering giant, slamming shut the gates of opportunity, threatening to crush the very roots of our freedom."

Originally posted by acludem
I'll leave all discussion of Reagan's politics and presidency aside for now....
acludem

only if you could tell all the other dems on the net the same thing:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=95341#post95341
At least I hope it doesn't happen tomorrow.

The WWII vets are dying fast, and they deserve their last "real" anniversary of D-Day, and it shouldn't be tainted by a clown who spent the duration of the war making movies.
------------------------------

Took long enough.
-----------------------------

and those are from a non political board. i don't even want to see whats on at moveon and du

Originally posted by Lefty Wilbury
only if you could tell all the other dems on the net the same thing:

and those are from a non political board. i don't even want to see whats on at moveon and du

You'll probably want to avoid Yahoo as well. I used to go there until I found this board. A lot of the people that post there are just scumbags. I can imagine some of the "jokes" that are floating around over there. That's one of the things I like about this site. We may not all agree, but at least there is a certain amount of respect shown for the most part, certainly at a time like this.

What a great life he had! Imagine parting this world having been a well known actor (a difficult achievement) a congressman and President of the finest country in the world for two terms!

I was a democrat when I voted for Reagen - he was the first president I voted for.

He lived a long and great life....proving you can do anything you want to with your life - its your move!

I am sad to know that he is gone but I know he is in a better place now .. God rest his soul and my prayers are with Nancy.
Say what you will about her but she was behind her husband 150% of the way ! He was an honorable Man & President.

From everyone I have ever admired or known, when they die, I try to take a quality which made them who they were and made them great, and perfect it with myself in order to try to be remotely beneficial as they were....to keep their spirit alive in the people around me....

I will be working on my humility and concern for others.

Originally posted by NewGuy
From everyone I have ever admired or known, when they die, I try to take a quality which made them who they were and made them great, and perfect it with myself in order to try to be remotely beneficial as they were....to keep their spirit alive in the people around me....

I will be working on my humility and concern for others.

That is a nice gesture.. I will to do the same ..

There are presidents who are administrators. There are presidents who are leaders. Ronald Reagan was a leader. Ronald Reagan led not only by his words, but by his example. He was a president who personified the qualities most of us want to see in our country. Strength and compassion. Courage and morals. Patriotism and diplomacy.

Ronald Reagan made no apologies for his faith, his pride in his country or his steadfast conviction that a free market and democracy are superior to any other form of government on the planet.

God bless him. Hopefully there will be another like him when we have the greatest need.

As I said in the thread in the other forum,he was one of the greatest the U.S. ever had. What a wonderful man with a wonderful and meaningful life. I have been watching coverage all night and find myself feeling a little sad. Watching the WW2 generationg die is so scary to me. Rest in Peace Ronald Reagan and thank you for being you. Your were the best.

Originally posted by Gop guy
It's eery how Bush is becoming more and more like him.

Its eerier seeing how the left is almost as rabid if not more rabid against Bush then they were against Reagan.

Forum List

Back