Good work if you can get it: Federal workers making 78% more than private sector counterparts

But most people I know would give up the far chance that they'll ever "make it rich" in the private sector for the job security and guaranteed pay raises working for the gov't.

But that's actually not true anyway. My father is a petroleum engineer. He started out at the bottom rung 42 years ago. When he first got the job him and my mom couldn't make ends meet. He moved up, got promotions, tons of pay raises, and wound up making 6 figures by the time he retired last December. He's also making like 90% of his old pay as retirement.

Needless to say, he did quite well. Maybe not a 1%'er but certainly top 10%'er.
You're not just giving up the chance of getting rich working for the government under civil service but often the opportunity of any upward mobility. In most of the civil service jobs you get a step pay increase every year for 3 years then a step every 2 years for 3 years, then a step increase every 3 years. Then after 15 years, no more raises except for a cost of living raise.

Probably one the worst things about working for the federal government is that despite the growth in government spending, the number of permanent civil service jobs are not increasing. In 1992, there were 3 million permanent civil service workers, 2.8 million in 1995, 2.6 million in 2000, 2.6 million in 2005, 2.6 million in 2014. This may be good for tax payers but for an employee it means less opportunities for advancement.

The upside of federal civil service is competitive pay, good benefits, and stable employment. The downside is limited chance of advancement and limited employment opportunities compared to the private sector.
Horseshit. It takes an act of god to get fired from the civil service gravy train. I did it part time while in college and the top guy was a GS13 making damn good money for the time. He spent the day looking busy, when he finally retired they never filled his position because he didn't do anything. Pay raises come in like clockwork regardless of any "opportunities".
And your one summer years ago working for one guy you, in the infinite wisdom all college students possess, thought was a waste, makes you an expert on what the millions of federal employees do. M
That's not what I said. I'll bet a stupid asshole like you found a government job, correct? Hang on to it because you'd be unemployable in the private sector.

I grew up as a military dependent, served 4 years, lot's of civil service involved with military. Then 3.5 years civil service at the VA hospital. Where the fuck did you see a summer's job? I also worked with federal, state and local government's for 28 years and have known countless many friends and people with government. If you are sponging off of us, as I suspect, you are part of the problem. We need to trim the fat NOW.

no....you said that we make great money to pay the union off....32 bucks a month aint much to do that....thats what you are wrong about.....if i was paying 70-80 bucks a month you might have a point....
no i did not. LOL. Post up what I said come on now. At least have some integrity.
i did post it up....here let me do it again just for you..........Remember, the reason for the higher salaries is so they can pay their union off....now was that you saying that...or someone else?.....
That's not so. The lowest paid federal civil service workers pay less than .5% in dues. The average union member pays 19.75/mo or about .3% of their salary. Only 28% of federal workers are a member of a union since membership is voluntary and only available in sites where there is a union..
i wasnt the one who said that.....and in the PO its a lot higher than 28%.....maybe 70-80%.....

So what if the Post Office has 70 or 80% union membership? The Post office doesn't get any tax payers dollars for anything. The agency generates it's own revenue.
well lets see.....flopper said that only 28% of federal workers belong to a Union....i said that its way higher in the PO....he did not say excluding the PO,did he?....did i miss that somewhere?....and he said federal workers,not just the ones supported by tax dollars.....right?....or did i miss that one too?....

That's what happens when you have "Right To Work For Less" laws, and get rid of any bargaining power for employees.

You idiot RWer's will cut off your nose to spite your face every time.
^ that

Its also ironic that zaney OP is a self-professed Lunch Lady (on the gubmint payroll)

no....you said that we make great money to pay the union off....32 bucks a month aint much to do that....thats what you are wrong about.....if i was paying 70-80 bucks a month you might have a point....
no i did not. LOL. Post up what I said come on now. At least have some integrity.
i did post it up....here let me do it again just for you..........Remember, the reason for the higher salaries is so they can pay their union off....now was that you saying that...or someone else?.....
That's not so. The lowest paid federal civil service workers pay less than .5% in dues. The average union member pays 19.75/mo or about .3% of their salary. Only 28% of federal workers are a member of a union since membership is voluntary and only available in sites where there is a union..
i wasnt the one who said that.....and in the PO its a lot higher than 28%.....maybe 70-80%.....
Participation varies by agency and site. Unlike unions in the private sector that can shut down a business, Federal employees are denied by statute the right to strike. Without the right to strike, union dues are little more than contribution to lobbying group as far as salaries are concerned.

FYI. There are 616,000 postal workers. Of that number, there are 330,000 union members or about 53%.

Size and Scope - Postal Facts
Public-sector trade unions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FYI....there are only 486,300 full time career employees....of that aprox. 367,000 are union....

So what if the Post Office has 70 or 80% union membership? The Post office doesn't get any tax payers dollars for anything. The agency generates it's own revenue.
well lets see.....flopper said that only 28% of federal workers belong to a Union....i said that its way higher in the PO....he did not say excluding the PO,did he?....did i miss that somewhere?....and he said federal workers,not just the ones supported by tax dollars.....right?....or did i miss that one too?....
"Twenty-eight percent of federal workers were union members in 2009, compared with 28.1 percent in 2008, the agency said. The number of unionized workers climbed slightly to more than 1 million, versus 994,000 the year before."
Number of federal union workers rose slightly

All work sites do not have unions which accounts partially for the low average participation. However, most of the low participation is probably due to the fact that federal employee unions are open shop which means membership is not required for employment and any agreements reached by the union applies to both union and non-union members.

But most people I know would give up the far chance that they'll ever "make it rich" in the private sector for the job security and guaranteed pay raises working for the gov't.

But that's actually not true anyway. My father is a petroleum engineer. He started out at the bottom rung 42 years ago. When he first got the job him and my mom couldn't make ends meet. He moved up, got promotions, tons of pay raises, and wound up making 6 figures by the time he retired last December. He's also making like 90% of his old pay as retirement.

You're not just giving up the chance of getting rich working for the government under civil service but often the opportunity of any upward mobility. In most of the civil service jobs you get a step pay increase every year for 3 years then a step every 2 years for 3 years, then a step increase every 3 years. Then after 15 years, no more raises except for a cost of living raise.

Probably one the worst things about working for the federal government is that despite the growth in government spending, the number of permanent civil service jobs are not increasing. In 1992, there were 3 million permanent civil service workers, 2.8 million in 1995, 2.6 million in 2000, 2.6 million in 2005, 2.6 million in 2014. This may be good for tax payers but for an employee it means less opportunities for advancement.

The upside of federal civil service is competitive pay, good benefits, and stable employment. The downside is limited chance of advancement and limited employment opportunities compared to the private sector.
Horseshit. It takes an act of god to get fired from the civil service gravy train. I did it part time while in college and the top guy was a GS13 making damn good money for the time. He spent the day looking busy, when he finally retired they never filled his position because he didn't do anything. Pay raises come in like clockwork regardless of any "opportunities".
And your one summer years ago working for one guy you, in the infinite wisdom all college students possess, thought was a waste, makes you an expert on what the millions of federal employees do. M
That's not what I said. I'll bet a stupid asshole like you found a government job, correct? Hang on to it because you'd be unemployable in the private sector.

I grew up as a military dependent, served 4 years, lot's of civil service involved with military. Then 3.5 years civil service at the VA hospital. Where the fuck did you see a summer's job? I also worked with federal, state and local government's for 28 years and have known countless many friends and people with government. If you are sponging off of us, as I suspect, you are part of the problem. We need to trim the fat NOW.
I run my own fucking business dickhead. I employ others. And if you worked with government for 28 years you are the one sponging off the government.

I run my own fucking business dickhead. I employ others. And if you worked with government for 28 years you are the one sponging off the government.
I provided the service, cumbreath. I mostly worked for businesses in the private sector. You don't know what sponging means and you see a summer's work when I was civil service for 3.5 years. Nobody as stupid as you could own more than a hotdog stand.

I provided the service, cumbreath. I mostly worked for businesses in the private sector. You don't know what sponging means and you see a summer's work when I was civil service for 3.5 years. Nobody as stupid as you could own more than a hotdog stand.
You said you worked while you were in college. Not a reach to conclude it was a summer job. And now you suck on the public tit and then complain about the taste. Fucking typical hypocritical right winger.

You said you worked while you were in college. Not a reach to conclude it was a summer job. And now you suck on the public tit and then complain about the taste. Fucking typical hypocritical right winger.
You reached right in your ass for your answer, and not the first time, I'm sure. I worked all year long for 3.5 years there, never said summer job. I've been self employed for 30 years, that isn't the public tit. That's called the private sector, you know nothing waste of tax dollars!

You reached right in your ass for your answer, and not the first time, I'm sure. I worked all year long for 3.5 years there, never said summer job. I've been self employed for 30 years, that isn't the public tit. That's called the private sector, you know nothing waste of tax dollars!
Right. Cause a paycheck for a government worker is sponging by your providing "services" and getting paid for them is not. Good thing you are "self-employed". Why would anyone hire a worthless, lying prick like you?

Right. Cause a paycheck for a government worker is sponging by your providing "services" and getting paid for them is not. Good thing you are "self-employed". Why would anyone hire a worthless, lying prick like you?
I didn't lie, you parasite. Anyone in government knows sponges, I don't need tour approval. You demonstrated what a idiot you are, you can't fix it by blaming me.

Forum List

Back