Good, Useful Everyday Tips

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Windshield Wiper Blades
Instead of spending time and money to replace and install new wiper blades, renew them: While holding a piece of sandpaper between your thumb and forefinger, run the sandpaper along the edge of the rubber blade, first on one side and then the other. The light sanding will renew the surface so it efficiently wipes the windshield. You can do this two or three times before a blade is completely spent and requires replacement. — Walter H., Oregon

Easy Way to Earn Extra Cash
Participating in focus groups is a great way to boost one's income. I find opportunities to participate in a focus group through www.craigslist.org. I click on the tab for my city, and then I click on the tab that shows "ETC. Jobs." In a big city, there are opportunities every day, and a few a week in medium-sized towns. I have given my opinion on everything from cars and gas stations to soymilk, and usually for $100 or more for two hours of work. Lisa M., Illinois

Check Writing
When you're writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, do not put the complete account number on the memo line. Instead, just put the last four digits. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it. — Allie H., California

If you use disposable razors to shave, here is a way to make them last longer:

After shaving, thoroughly clean and dry your razor blades and then completely immerse the razor head in a shallow dish filled with mineral oil. Use the rubbing alcohol to wash away the oil next time you need to use the razor.

By immersing the blades in oil, you stop the oxidization process that dulls their sharp edges. A daily mineral oil soak can double or even triple the life of your cartridges.

speederdoc said:
If you use disposable razors to shave, here is a way to make them last longer:

After shaving, thoroughly clean and dry your razor blades and then completely immerse the razor head in a shallow dish filled with mineral oil. Use the rubbing alcohol to wash away the oil next time you need to use the razor.

By immersing the blades in oil, you stop the oxidization process that dulls their sharp edges. A daily mineral oil soak can double or even triple the life of your cartridges.
I wonder if I can find a place for that shallow dish between all the wife stuff? :cof:

Nice to see ya back around Doc!

Take some Crystal Light and put in the soap dispenser, run the washer on a regular cleaning cycle...The inside will be brand new again...

Bonnie said:
Take some Crystal Light and put in the soap dispenser, run the washer on a regular cleaning cycle...The inside will be brand new again...

Any particular flavor? :funnyface:

Abbey Normal said:
I drink that stuff all the time. Now I wonder what it is doing to my insides.

Yeah no kidding, that's why I switched to propel vitamin water instead. But hey maybe Crystal light is good for cleaning out the liver toxins :confused:

SPICE UP THAT PAPER CUT - As a trained paramedic (and self-avowed klutz), I can tell you that minor cuts are annoying but a fact of life. My favorite tip: If you cut yourself (in the kitchen, a paper cut, shaving, etc.), reach for the ground black pepper in your spice rack. Sprinkle liberally, and the blood will "magically" clot and the pain will be lessened! Just leave it on for a few minutes and then clean and cover the area as usual. This is great for kids, and you can even ask for a couple of pepper packets the next time you go out to eat to keep in the car. -- Teresa G., Tennessee

CONDITIONING FOR A SHAVE - Instead of buying expensive shaving cream to shave your legs, use a cheap hair conditioner instead. The conditioner softens the hair and makes it easy to shave. Legs feel smooth, too. Shop around for a good buy. I got four bottles of conditioner for 40 cents each at the dollar store. -- Virginia T., Minnesota

A LITTER SOLUTION - I keep a bag of cat littler in the car for the times when ice or snow can cause a problem. When stuck on icy or snowy roads, just scatter a few hands full under the drive wheels of your car, wait about 30 seconds and drive right out. The salt in the litter melts ice and the texture gives you the traction to start moving. Be sure to scatter the litter for both wheels, otherwise one wheel simply spins. — Bob A., via e-mail

SOFTENS TAR, TOO - Avon's Skin So Soft Bath Oil removes tar splatters from a car with very little effort. Just spray it on the splatters, let it sit a couple of minutes and wipe off the tar. — Dianne C., Louisiana

NO STATIC IN HAIR - With winter approaching and living in a very dry climate, my hair tends to have a lot of static electricity. By spraying the commercial product Static Guard on my hairbrush and lightly brushing through, the "fly away" hairs remain in place. — Lorie T., Wyoming

PINE POWER - Instead of spending extra money for expensive room fresheners, remove the top from a bottle of your favorite pine-scented cleaner. Within 10 minutes the offensive odors are gone and the fresh pine scent lasts and lasts. I have been using the same bottle for six months, and the cleaning features are not in any way diminished. -- Rita, California

Adam's Apple said:
SPICE UP THAT PAPER CUT - As a trained paramedic (and self-avowed klutz), I can tell you that minor cuts are annoying but a fact of life. My favorite tip: If you cut yourself (in the kitchen, a paper cut, shaving, etc.), reach for the ground black pepper in your spice rack. Sprinkle liberally, and the blood will "magically" clot and the pain will be lessened! Just leave it on for a few minutes and then clean and cover the area as usual. This is great for kids, and you can even ask for a couple of pepper packets the next time you go out to eat to keep in the car. -- Teresa G., Tennessee
Black pepper works for car radiator/water pump leaks too..(Not a long term fix).

Now that is very interesting. How much black pepper does it take to temporarily plug a car radiator/water pump and how do you use it? I had never heard of using black pepper on cuts to make the blood clot and stop the pain. Now I'm learning something else new about uses for black pepper.

Wise words from my Grandfather.

1. Read everything you lay your eyes on. You never know when you might need to use that little big of information.

2. Don't put something on paper you don't want the whole world to know.

3. If you sign your name to something, make sure it if perfect. People will judge you by the things things you write (and the things you say) and how you write and say them.

4. I don't care what people say, wrestling on TV is real.

Ok..so three out of four are good.

Adam's Apple said:
Now that is very interesting. How much black pepper does it take to temporarily plug a car radiator/water pump and how do you use it? I had never heard of using black pepper on cuts to make the blood clot and stop the pain. Now I'm learning something else new about uses for black pepper.
I don't know about cuts..But, a small can of pepper dumped in the radiator will close leaks (key work leaks, not large holes)..use what you need as far as amount. The down side to this is the pepper will, if used on a regular basis and not flushed out will also clog the "good" holes in the cooling system that the coolant must pass through in order to cool the engine..So it's really more of poor mans/emergency/I'm stranded band-aid until proper repairs can be made.

On the other hand, I've seen one small can seal a leak that lasted 2 years without any engine overheating problems.

In a pinch, to close a deep, bleeding cut reach to superglue. I'm not a doctor. I am of the opinion stopping the blood loss is worth whatever risk the 'glue' may have in your body. I'm not a doctor. :)

If your car is over heating, turn on the heater full blast inside. Also, consider switching on the AC as the additional fan can provide cooling.

when entering a .com url in your Internet Explorer, you can save one-half a second or more by simply typing the name:

foxnews

Then hit Ctrl + Enter at the same time.

It'll add the www. and the .com for you.

:)

Alt + Enter = .org, if I recall.

In the woods, no meds? Get cut? Here's one I've heard about all my life in the South, but never tried. Spiderwebs...

The most unlikely bandage
you've ever heard of.

I am a Reiki Master Healer and have rediscovered a wonderful - and seemingly forgotten - method for treating cuts and scrapes: spiderwebs. Apply spiderwebs to cuts and scrapes for almost instant wound sealing. There seems to be no cross-contamination. I have used this remedy on myself for several years now with amazing results. This remedy got a trial by fire the first time I used it when I got an extremely deep cut from a can lid and the bleeding was profuse. I grabbed a few webs from outside the door and applied them directly to the wound, debris and all. Then I used a butterfly bandage to hold the wound edges together after the web was applied. Thus happened on a Friday evening, and by Monday the cut was sealed tight and no longer needed any bandage. There was very little soreness and no redness, irritation or swelling. The finger was completely usable by that Monday. The web seems to cause clotting immediately and it hardens to form a natural scab protection that readily peels off when wet. I have, unfortunately, had reason to use this remedy several times and each time I get the same results. The only side effect I have noticed is that the wound tends to itch due to the rapid healing.

Mr. P said:
In the woods, no meds? Get cut? Here's one I've heard about all my life in the South, but never tried. Spiderwebs...

Spider webs are covered in a natural anti-biotic, so not only does it stop the bleeding, but will prevent infection.

Cures for hiccups...break em out!

This one works.

Wiggle a Q-Tip around in your ear for a couple minutes.

dmp said:
Teaspoon full of sugar.

That one's foolproof. Works every time, without fail.

You forgot to mention that you have to put the whole thing in your mouth at once, tho...

Forum List

Back