Good, Useful Everyday Tips

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam's Apple, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Windshield Wiper Blades
    Instead of spending time and money to replace and install new wiper blades, renew them: While holding a piece of sandpaper between your thumb and forefinger, run the sandpaper along the edge of the rubber blade, first on one side and then the other. The light sanding will renew the surface so it efficiently wipes the windshield. You can do this two or three times before a blade is completely spent and requires replacement. — Walter H., Oregon

Easy Way to Earn Extra Cash
    Participating in focus groups is a great way to boost one's income. I find opportunities to participate in a focus group through www.craigslist.org. I click on the tab for my city, and then I click on the tab that shows "ETC. Jobs." In a big city, there are opportunities every day, and a few a week in medium-sized towns. I have given my opinion on everything from cars and gas stations to soymilk, and usually for $100 or more for two hours of work. Lisa M., Illinois

Check Writing
    When you're writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, do not put the complete account number on the memo line. Instead, just put the last four digits. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it. — Allie H., California

2. speederdoc

speederdoc Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you use disposable razors to shave, here is a way to make them last longer:

After shaving, thoroughly clean and dry your razor blades and then completely immerse the razor head in a shallow dish filled with mineral oil. Use the rubbing alcohol to wash away the oil next time you need to use the razor.

By immersing the blades in oil, you stop the oxidization process that dulls their sharp edges. A daily mineral oil soak can double or even triple the life of your cartridges.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I wonder if I can find a place for that shallow dish between all the wife stuff? :cof:

Nice to see ya back around Doc!

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Take some Crystal Light and put in the soap dispenser, run the washer on a regular cleaning cycle...The inside will be brand new again...

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Any particular flavor? :funnyface:

6. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I drink that stuff all the time. Now I wonder what it is doing to my insides.

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Ah NO!!! :moon4: :thup:

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Yeah no kidding, that's why I switched to propel vitamin water instead. But hey maybe Crystal light is good for cleaning out the liver toxins :confused:

9. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    SPICE UP THAT PAPER CUT - As a trained paramedic (and self-avowed klutz), I can tell you that minor cuts are annoying but a fact of life. My favorite tip: If you cut yourself (in the kitchen, a paper cut, shaving, etc.), reach for the ground black pepper in your spice rack. Sprinkle liberally, and the blood will "magically" clot and the pain will be lessened! Just leave it on for a few minutes and then clean and cover the area as usual. This is great for kids, and you can even ask for a couple of pepper packets the next time you go out to eat to keep in the car. -- Teresa G., Tennessee

CONDITIONING FOR A SHAVE - Instead of buying expensive shaving cream to shave your legs, use a cheap hair conditioner instead. The conditioner softens the hair and makes it easy to shave. Legs feel smooth, too. Shop around for a good buy. I got four bottles of conditioner for 40 cents each at the dollar store. -- Virginia T., Minnesota

A LITTER SOLUTION - I keep a bag of cat littler in the car for the times when ice or snow can cause a problem. When stuck on icy or snowy roads, just scatter a few hands full under the drive wheels of your car, wait about 30 seconds and drive right out. The salt in the litter melts ice and the texture gives you the traction to start moving. Be sure to scatter the litter for both wheels, otherwise one wheel simply spins. — Bob A., via e-mail

SOFTENS TAR, TOO - Avon's Skin So Soft Bath Oil removes tar splatters from a car with very little effort. Just spray it on the splatters, let it sit a couple of minutes and wipe off the tar. — Dianne C., Louisiana

NO STATIC IN HAIR - With winter approaching and living in a very dry climate, my hair tends to have a lot of static electricity. By spraying the commercial product Static Guard on my hairbrush and lightly brushing through, the "fly away" hairs remain in place. — Lorie T., Wyoming

PINE POWER - Instead of spending extra money for expensive room fresheners, remove the top from a bottle of your favorite pine-scented cleaner. Within 10 minutes the offensive odors are gone and the fresh pine scent lasts and lasts. I have been using the same bottle for six months, and the cleaning features are not in any way diminished. -- Rita, California

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Black pepper works for car radiator/water pump leaks too..(Not a long term fix).