Good Teachers....Bad Teachers

One can hardly expect that schools, where society is coming undone, will NOT also become undone.

Blaming unions and teachers for the downfall of education in a society that is going down is fairly typical of right wing know-nothing nonsense that some of the RW trolls like to post here.

One can hardly expect that schools, where society is coming undone, will NOT also become undone.

Blaming unions and teachers for the downfall of education in a society that is going down is fairly typical of right wing know-nothing nonsense that some of the RW trolls like to post here.

Teachers are not allowed to collectively bargain in all states.

Perhaps we would do well to compare those states where it is allowed with those it is illegal:

Texas
N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Georgia
Virginia

Actually, this comparison has already been done with Wisconsin (unhappily, I cannot cut-and-paste from the website):

5 states that outlaw collective bargaining for teachers all rank below 44th in test scores, [ Barf ]

however, the conclusion is that how well a state's public school graduates do on ACT/SAT tests has very little, if anything, to do with whether or its teachers can legally collectively bargain.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
Modbert - In the news, we read about loony teachers on the left who write poems about wishing the governor dead and who vandalize capitol buildings. On the right, we read about loony teachers who draw crosses on kids' arms, and who protest for the right to "arm the teachers". That's what makes the news. There are over 3 MILLION public school teachers in this country and most of them are not loony. Center for Education Reform - K-12 Facts

Go figure. :lol:

I don't think BBD or anyone else here is a complete moron when it comes to education. The truth is that the only people who truly understand what's going on (good and bad) are the people in the trenches. The politicians making policy and the unions paying them off don't give a rat's ass about "education". It's all about money and power.

What do you think of Arne Duncan? I don't consider him a "politician," because he's raised the hackles of the unions by promoting merit based salaries instead of tenure, and also favors more charter schools. He appears to be one of those rare critters who just wants to get the job done (or at least begin the journey to excellence).

Yeah, but if Charters can pick who their kids are, the bad ones go to public schools, and guess which teachers will suffer? Uh-huh. The ones who are evaluated on that merit-based pay. The ones that are still part of the teacher's union.

Ones like me. :(

I think Arne's (and the administration's) take on charter schools is to build more, but with a partnered public and private funding endeavor and phase out the most inefficient (and dilapidated) public schools which would be too costly to fix. Currently, just as with public schools, there are good and bad charter schools.

Exactly Maggie, and despite being a proponent of public education, I do support charters and vouchers for students in failing schools. It will do NOTHING to improve public education, and could hurt it, but I can only feel empathy for those frightened parents and kids who truly want to learn. It's may be a band aid; but a necessary one for a gushing wound. NO ONE nows how to turn around violent, inner city schools. The only "solution" is to let those that wish to, get the hell out.

All it does is create corporate and private interest education that ends up making our schools even more segregated. :/

And it really does bleed taxpayer money. In Denver, charters don't last that long.

Forum List

Back