Good Teachers....Bad Teachers

Are you a good witch or a bad witch? I mean teacher.

So Chanel, how many kids have you told about condoms in the nurse office, and how all our solutions to today's problems will come from only Liberal politicians? :eusa_think:

Teachers don't need to teach you how to read and write or to do basic math and by all means, don't worry about teaching history as it really happened. What they are required to do though is to teach you that condoms are available in the nurses office, you don't need to have your parent's permission to get an abortion and the only real political solution to today's problems come from only the liberal politicians. They are also determined to inform your kid about how nice is it that there are queers in the world.

My students confide in me often and I offer my best advice. But my job is to teach reading and British Literature; not dating dangers. Many people may be surprised to learn that there are conservative and liberal teachers who put academics ahead of social engineering. They want the same thing for their students that they want for their own children. Crazy ain't it?

My students confide in me often and I offer my best advice. But my job is to teach reading and British Literature; not dating dangers. Many people may be surprised to learn that there are conservative and liberal teachers who put academics ahead of social engineering. They want the same thing for their students that they want for their own children. Crazy ain't it?

Such a crazy concept! It's funny however that it's only the Conservatives I've been seeing on USMB that are making such irrational posts about teachers. I'm sure you notice it too. Must suck to see people you believe to be rational act like complete morons on issues that hit close to home.

Yeah, crazy!

;)

Such a crazy concept! It's funny however that it's only the Conservatives I've been seeing on USMB that are making such irrational posts about teachers. I'm sure you notice it too. Must suck to see people you believe to be rational act like complete morons on issues that hit close to home.

Modbert - In the news, we read about loony teachers on the left who write poems about wishing the governor dead and who vandalize capitol buildings. On the right, we read about loony teachers who draw crosses on kids' arms, and who protest for the right to "arm the teachers". That's what makes the news. There are over 3 MILLION public school teachers in this country and most of them are not loony. Center for Education Reform - K-12 Facts

Go figure. :lol:

I don't think BBD or anyone else here is a complete moron when it comes to education. The truth is that the only people who truly understand what's going on (good and bad) are the people in the trenches. The politicians making policy and the unions paying them off don't give a rat's ass about "education". It's all about money and power.

Modbert - In the news, we read about loony teachers on the left who write poems about wishing the governor dead and who vandalize capitol buildings. On the right, we read about loony teachers who draw crosses on kids' arms, and who protest for the right to "arm the teachers". That's what makes the news. There are over 3 MILLION public school teachers in this country and most of them are not loony. Center for Education Reform - K-12 Facts

I don't think BBD or anyone else here is a complete moron when it comes to education. The truth is that the only people who truly understand what's going on (good and bad) are the people in the trenches. The politicians making policy and the unions paying them off don't give a rat's ass about "education". It's all about money and power.

I know most of the school teachers in this country are not loony. However, on USMB, I constantly see massive amounts of teacher hate by some on the right. I personally think that's wrong. This isn't the first time to say the least we've been through this.

I know most of the school teachers in this country are not loony. However, on USMB, I constantly see massive amounts of teacher hate by some on the right. I personally think that's wrong. This isn't the first time to say the least we've been through this.

And I invite each and every 'Teacher Basher' to my school to come visit. Hang out for a day, and see how dedicated the teachers I work with are, and the difference we are making in our students lives.

PM me if you're interested.

The "teacher hate" on "the right" is balanced with the clergy hate on "the left."

The "teacher hate" on "the right" is balanced with the clergy hate on "the left."

Is that like separation of "Church and State?"

Ha ha EZ. I say the same thing to my family and friends who have joined the teacher bashing craze. It seems anyone who has ever "attended school" thinks they know how to run one. It's envy over summers off and job security. But when you say "Spend a day in my shoes" they usually eat crow and say "OMG! No thank you" lol

Ha ha EZ. I say the same thing to my family and friends who have joined the teacher bashing craze. It seems anyone who has ever "attended school" thinks they know how to run one. It's envy over summers off and job security. But when you say "Spend a day in my shoes" they usually eat crow and say "OMG! No thank you" lol

And most of the teachers I work with have spent their summer teaching summer school, attending workshops, or going to classes to renew their license. (Which I am doing right now this summer)

But yeah, give them a day in our classrooms, and they can see how 'easy' it is.........

I really would love for them to come visit, I am very proud of my school, my staff and our students.

On USMB, I see massive amounts of public education hate (directed at piss-poor public school administrations, unions who are in it for the power only and a few bad teachers) that is interpreted by some on the Left as 'teacher hate'. I personally think that's wrong. This isn't the first time to say the least we've been through this.

What do you think of Arne Duncan? I don't consider him a "politician," because he's raised the hackles of the unions by promoting merit based salaries instead of tenure, and also favors more charter schools. He appears to be one of those rare critters who just wants to get the job done (or at least begin the journey to excellence).

Is that like separation of "Church and State?"

It's more like stupid is as stupid does.

Hah! I'd like to see administration and PARENTS evaluated.

You can be the best teacher in the world, but you can only work so hard to fix classrooms without supplies, gang bangers, parents who smoke crack, principals who expect you to deal with cussing teens and fistfights, kids who can't read or speak English (and I'm an ESL teacher!)...ahh...yeah.

Too bad we can't fire the cause of the problem.

Last edited:

What do you think of Arne Duncan? I don't consider him a "politician," because he's raised the hackles of the unions by promoting merit based salaries instead of tenure, and also favors more charter schools. He appears to be one of those rare critters who just wants to get the job done (or at least begin the journey to excellence).

Yeah, but if Charters can pick who their kids are, the bad ones go to public schools, and guess which teachers will suffer? Uh-huh. The ones who are evaluated on that merit-based pay. The ones that are still part of the teacher's union.

Ones like me. :(

Hah! I'd like to see administration and PARENTS evaluated.

You can be the best teacher in the world, but you can only work so hard to fix classrooms without supplies, gang bangers, parents who smoke crack, principals who expect you to deal with cussing teens and fistfights, kids who can't read or speak English (and I'm an ESL teacher!)...ahh...yeah.

Too bad we can't fire the cause of the problem.

Public School would be much better without the Public.

Sure there are good teachers...bet each of us can name three who changed our lives.
[...]
6. Studies have shown that two consecutive years with a bad teacher can leave students so far behind that they will never catch up.
[...]

City Journal is full of simplistic nonsense and this is just another example. Two years will leave students behind forever? Where did this conclusion come from? A genuine study? No, of course not, it came from the imagination of someone too lazy to figure out what was really going on in our schools and in our culture. What about a lifetime of TV watching? That should destroy anyone forever. Or lousy, lazy parents? Or lousy, lazy self? How about the inner city schools that are falling down, and full of juvenile delinquents with little parental support? Anyone with half a brain would know two years hardly make up a lifetime, nor does school fill enough of that time to have such impact. You wanna know why some students do poorly? They just don't live in zip codes in which income is in the top brackets. If you doubt that check it out sometime and throw City Journal in the trash where it belongs.

The study is right. Two years of failed teaching in the formative years can disrupt a child's school career forever. Just where are they supposed to get their basic math and reading skills? If there us no intervention and the child is continually passed on without foundational skills, they are the eight graders who cannot read. Science is out of the question. Finishing highschool is a non starter. Get rid of anything that protects those teachers...Unions.

Outstanding article on the VAM:

In 1966, a groundbreaking government study—the “Coleman Report”—first identified a “one-third in-school factors, two-thirds family characteristics” ratio to explain variations in student achievement. Since then researchers have endlessly tried to refine or refute the findings. Education scholar Richard Rothstein described their results: “No analyst has been able to attribute less than two-thirds of the variation in achievement among schools to the family characteristics of their students” (Class and Schools, 2004). Factors such as neighborhood environment give still more weight to what goes on outside school.

In a 2009 report to the U.S. Department of Education, the Board on Testing and Assessment of the National Research Council wrote, “Even in pilot projects, VAM estimates of teacher effectiveness that are based on data for a single class of students should not be used to make operational decisions because such estimates are far too unstable to be considered fair or reliable.”

John Ewing, president of Math for America (which promotes better math education in public high schools), describes the VAM phenomenon in “Mathematical Intimidation: Driven by the Data” (Notices of the American Mathematical Society, May 2011):

People recognize that tests are an imperfect measure of educational success, but when sophisticated mathematics is applied, they believe the imperfections go away by some mathematical magic. But this is not magic. What really happens is that the mathematics is used to disguise the problems and intimidate people into ignoring them—a modern, mathematical version of the Emperor’s New Clothes....

Firing Line: The Grand Coalition Against Teachers | Truthout

Forum List

Back