Good south Louisiana desert for you all

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
Mamou's Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

For those who are wondering Mamou is my great grandmother

(Leila Darce Sigur August 1885-Feb 1973)

1 loaf of stale french bread broken up into bite size pieces
6 eggs beaten
1 Tbsp fresh ground nutmeg(per ground will suffice),
additional teaspoon nutmeg reserved for sprinkling
2 cups sugar
12 oz. evaporated milk
4 oz unsalted butter sliced into pat size pieces
1 teaspoon baking powder
9x13 baking pan sprayed with butter spray or greased with butter

Preheat oven to 375

Place the bread pieces in a large bowl

In a seperate bowl stir sugar into beaten eggs. Gradually stir in nutmeg and 4 oz. of evaporated milk. Stir well, add remaining milk and baking powder and stir some more.

Pour the mixture over the bread. Mix with your hands until pieces of bread are thoroughly coated. Be sure to mix it several times so they all get soaked evenly. You've come this far, this is the step you really want to get right.

Pour the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with remaining nutmeg and put butter pats on top evenly placed throughout.

Bake for 40 minutes

And now for the Sauce!

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
rum or whiskey to taste

Cream butter and sugar in sauce pan

Add the egg and stir rapidly so that the egg doesn't curdle.
When well mixed, allow to cool(or serve warm. I prefer warm)
Add a jigger(or 2) of whiskey or rum to taste

Some notes: this can serve up to 12 people, maybe more...

When making the sauce be sure to have it on low heat. You don't want the egg to cook because it will ruin the texture.

I've made this recipe using splenda as a substitute for the sugar in the bread pudding part and it works great. However it doesn't work with the sauce.

Also...even though it's called bread "pudding" it doesn't have the consistency of pudding and should be served warm.

Anyways I can only hope someone tries this recipe. It's been a favorite of mine for years. It's really easy as well. If anyone has any questions let me know

Yeah...it doesn't have to be rock hard or anything.

I suggest getting the loaf a day ahead of time and opening the bag.

One of the main reasons to use it stale is because it's much easier to cut into appropriate cube like pieces

To be honest I'm not sure if it changes the taste at all.

Powerman said:
Mamou's Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

For those who are wondering Mamou is my great grandmother

(Leila Darce Sigur August 1885-Feb 1973)

1 loaf of stale french bread broken up into bite size pieces
6 eggs beaten
1 Tbsp fresh ground nutmeg(per ground will suffice),
additional teaspoon nutmeg reserved for sprinkling
2 cups sugar
12 oz. evaporated milk
4 oz unsalted butter sliced into pat size pieces
1 teaspoon baking powder
9x13 baking pan sprayed with butter spray or greased with butter

Preheat oven to 375

Place the bread pieces in a large bowl

In a seperate bowl stir sugar into beaten eggs. Gradually stir in nutmeg and 4 oz. of evaporated milk. Stir well, add remaining milk and baking powder and stir some more.

Pour the mixture over the bread. Mix with your hands until pieces of bread are thoroughly coated. Be sure to mix it several times so they all get soaked evenly. You've come this far, this is the step you really want to get right.

Pour the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with remaining nutmeg and put butter pats on top evenly placed throughout.

Bake for 40 minutes

And now for the Sauce!

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
rum or whiskey to taste

Cream butter and sugar in sauce pan

Add the egg and stir rapidly so that the egg doesn't curdle.
When well mixed, allow to cool(or serve warm. I prefer warm)
Add a jigger(or 2) of whiskey or rum to taste

Some notes: this can serve up to 12 people, maybe more...

When making the sauce be sure to have it on low heat. You don't want the egg to cook because it will ruin the texture.

I've made this recipe using splenda as a substitute for the sugar in the bread pudding part and it works great. However it doesn't work with the sauce.

Also...even though it's called bread "pudding" it doesn't have the consistency of pudding and should be served warm.

Anyways I can only hope someone tries this recipe. It's been a favorite of mine for years. It's really easy as well. If anyone has any questions let me know

I'm giving it a shot !! Never even heard of it til I got to Texas and I love it. I bet Mamous is great. ty

It's a bit different than the traditional kind you might see in a restaurant but it's rich.

I think you'll enjoy it.

My sister made bread pudding this morning for breakfast at church. No rum in the sauce, though! ;)

mom4 said:
My sister made bread pudding this morning for breakfast at church. No rum in the sauce, though! ;)

Yeah...it's not a requirement

But it does give it a unique taste.

I prefer some scotch to the rum myself...

Powerman said:
Yeah...it doesn't have to be rock hard or anything.

I suggest getting the loaf a day ahead of time and opening the bag.

One of the main reasons to use it stale is because it's much easier to cut into appropriate cube like pieces

To be honest I'm not sure if it changes the taste at all.
One very important reason....Stale soaks -up the milk an spices making one great bread puddin.:cheers2:

Forum List

Back