Good sites for real history?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
So I've been reading Liers My Teacher Told ME, by James Loewen, and I'm wondering whether anyone here knows any goods online sources (free) that cover actual history- including the stuff left out of the whitewashed PC 'eduction' provided by government schools (including citing real sources, like Loewen does in his book).

Actually claiming that the schools lie to you is rich. They fail to teach you things but seldom out right lie. History books in the school systems have references in the books for you to check the sources.

Any good Historian that publishes a book will have references through out the book citing the sources used for the information presented.

real history? or facts? there is a difference. fact: aaron burr shot hamilton.....history: hamiliton was a man of honor who fired into the air and then burr shot him down in cold blood.....fact: hamiltion had a pistol with a "hair trigger" and has hamilton went to fire....he fired too soon...appearing to shot into the air ....but in reality he intended to shot burr...

Smithsonian magazine article

aaron burr was given a bad rap by history but if you overlook the raising of the army .....he was not a bad person at all.

What about Wikipedia? :)
I'm looking for something more scholarly, and citing primary sources instead of repeating 'common knowledge' ans 2nd- and 3rd- repetitions of someone else's research. ;)

Hey, I wouldn't so quick to dismiss Wiki, at least not in the larger articles. Many of them do cite primary sources and the most respectable books on the subjects they're talking about. But those are pretty much the more general, larger entries, like, fuck, I dunno, "Ghandi" or "World War I". I only suggested it because you're not being specific enough... history of what? place, time period, subject, there's too much history for there to recommend a good "history" website that covers everything.

Your best bet for scholarly things are either 1) real books, or 2) articles from peer-reviewed history journals, and even then you'd have to have some sort of area to narrow it down. The shitty thing about them is that you usually have to pay. I wish I could give you access to my University's databases. = \ You could however try to go on the long and troublesome search for fake passwords if you're up for it. Here's some with books or articles:

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
Questia Online Library
ProQuest - Central To Research Around The World

you cant beat the smithsonian either...or national geo....history comes from many sources...it is up to you ...to determine what is fact and what is simply history..

I think there are hundreds of thousands of excellent sites dealing with some aspect or the other of history.

I generally start by googling the subject, follow the links from that, and usually end up following links, or re googling references, found on the sites I've visited via my original search.

If you're a scholar, or an autodidact this truly is the GOLDEN AGE for SCHOLARSHIP.

Here is a Forum originally dedicated to understanding the history of Ancient Rome, then the whole ancient world, with sub-fora for history of any time or age.

Everything posted is expected to be backed up by primary sources, or to be academically sound.

Loose theories by posters are subjected to rigorous analysis by the very knowledgeable members who brook no nonsense about allowing their "bandwidth" be frivolously wasted, from intemperate subject matter to unnecessarily long repetitive quotes.
Ancient Roman Empire Forums

There are the Et Cetera Sub-forums which include "The after hours bath" where almost everything can be discussed including any other period of history (Hora Postilla Thermae), or the "Arena" a sub-forum which is not very active (which requires mod approval of every new thread posted).

I think there are hundreds of thousands of excellent sites dealing with some aspect or the other of history.

I generally start by googling the subject, follow the links from that, and usually end up following links, or re googling references, found on the sites I've visited via my original search.

If you're a scholar, or an autodidact this truly is the GOLDEN AGE for SCHOLARSHIP.

I have to agree with the above. I too do a subject search in advanced mode, choosing .edu as the domain. Read only papers with citations, recognize that throughout education sites, there are all sorts of students and teachers that can publish their own opinion/propaganda, within that.

Some of my favorite sites:

Avalon Project - Documents in Law, History and Diplomacy

National Archives and Records Administration

One of the good legacies of 'Empire':

British Museum - Welcome to the British Museum

Forum List

Back