Good Question with No Answer

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Why Was Sergeant Still in the Army?
By Rochelle Riley, The Detroit Daily News
May 4, 2005

Am I missing something?

Two years ago, just days before his unit was set to join the invasion of Iraq, an Army sergeant threw grenades into the tents of fellow soldiers and shot those able to flee the flames. When he was done, two soldiers lay dead, 14 wounded.

The sergeant, Hasan Akbar, a 34-year-old Muslim convert who grew up in south-central Los Angeles, was captured, not killed, that night in Kuwait, and returned to the United States to become the first American since the Vietnam War to be prosecuted for killing a fellow soldier during wartime.

A 15-member military jury sentenced him to death last week, making him the sixth inmate on military death row at Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.

Akbar said he'd endured anti-Muslim taunts and threats and felt that his life was in danger. He claimed that he had no choice but to launch the March 2003 attack on the U.S. soldiers who threatened him.

His own defense attorneys said Akbar was mentally ill. But prosecutors said that Akbar made it his mission to stop his fellow soldiers from killing other Muslims and that he had wanted to kill Americans for some time.

Akbar's diary, one he kept by computer for 13 years, spoke loudest:

In 1992, he wrote: "I made a promise that if I am not able to achieve success because of some Caucasians, I will kill as many of them as possible."

In a 1996 entry, he wrote: "Destroying America is my greatest goal."

In 1998, he joined the Army.

And in 2003, in the week before he went to Kuwait, he wrote: "As soon as I am in Iraq, I am going to try and kill as many of them as possible." (Prosecutors say he was referring to fellow soldiers).

http://www.freep.com/features/living/riley4e_20050504.htm

Adam's Apple said:
Why Was Sergeant Still in the Army?
By Rochelle Riley, The Detroit Daily News
May 4, 2005

Am I missing something?

Two years ago, just days before his unit was set to join the invasion of Iraq, an Army sergeant threw grenades into the tents of fellow soldiers and shot those able to flee the flames. When he was done, two soldiers lay dead, 14 wounded.

The sergeant, Hasan Akbar, a 34-year-old Muslim convert who grew up in south-central Los Angeles, was captured, not killed, that night in Kuwait, and returned to the United States to become the first American since the Vietnam War to be prosecuted for killing a fellow soldier during wartime.

A 15-member military jury sentenced him to death last week, making him the sixth inmate on military death row at Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.

Akbar said he'd endured anti-Muslim taunts and threats and felt that his life was in danger. He claimed that he had no choice but to launch the March 2003 attack on the U.S. soldiers who threatened him.

His own defense attorneys said Akbar was mentally ill. But prosecutors said that Akbar made it his mission to stop his fellow soldiers from killing other Muslims and that he had wanted to kill Americans for some time.

Akbar's diary, one he kept by computer for 13 years, spoke loudest:

In 1992, he wrote: "I made a promise that if I am not able to achieve success because of some Caucasians, I will kill as many of them as possible."

In a 1996 entry, he wrote: "Destroying America is my greatest goal."

In 1998, he joined the Army.

And in 2003, in the week before he went to Kuwait, he wrote: "As soon as I am in Iraq, I am going to try and kill as many of them as possible." (Prosecutors say he was referring to fellow soldiers).

http://www.freep.com/features/living/riley4e_20050504.htm

I wonder, did he have connections to others? I've always thought this type of infilltration could be serious. At the same time, there haven't been repeat type problems, that I've heard of.

I suspect that militant Muslims have infiltrated our military service. If they haven't thought of it, they are much dumber than anyone thinks.

Adam's Apple said:
I suspect that militant Muslims have infiltrated our military service. If they haven't thought of it, they are much dumber than anyone thinks.

Yeah but that leaves 99% of America's military patriotic young men and women. I dont thik we have much oto worry about. Sure that 1% can do something, but is it likely? I dont think so.

I hope you're right. But, evidently, no one suspected Sgt. Akbar of his evil intentions either. That one percent you threw out could add up to quite a number, but all it takes is just one in the right spot at the right time.

Yeah, but everyone's only human. Mistakes'll be made by the potential wrong-doers. I just dont think that we really ahve to worry about it. Good to be aware, but no need to loose sleep over it.

Forum List

Back