Good police, Bad students

The students were unarmed, and the Guard was under no threat of physical harm at the time of the shooting.

The surge of students leaving class spooked the young gaurdsmen and their commander. Much like the Vietnam war itself this was senseless.
The students may have been unarmed, but hundreds of them surrounded the cops after the cops arrested squatters.

So why were just the squatters pepper sprayed and the students standing around weren't?

The squatters (the people blocking the little road for campus vehicles) were asked for several minutes to move so that the police car and the arrested students could go on with their business. The people standing around were not in the way.

They were told they were unlawfully gathered.

They were warned to either move or be sprayed more than once. They refused to move and got sprayed.

Last edited:
The students were unarmed, and the Guard was under no threat of physical harm at the time of the shooting.

The surge of students leaving class spooked the young gaurdsmen and their commander. Much like the Vietnam war itself this was senseless.
The students may have been unarmed, but hundreds of them surrounded the cops after the cops arrested squatters.

So why were just the squatters pepper sprayed and the students standing around weren't?

Yes, it was a long cliup...15 minutes...but you obviously did not watch it or you would know the answer to the question.

The students that were pepper sprayed let the officers know that the reason they were sitting where they were was to block the police from taking those arrested off the grounds. They were interferring with arrests. They were warned several times that action against them would be taken and the protesters ridiculed them and ignored them.

But again...they kept on tellingf the officers that the ponly way they would move was if they were to release those already arrested.

As a matter of fact...they were heard saying soemthing along the lines of

"we wont let you leave until you release those arrested"......you can hear it on the film.

They were actuyally implying that the police car was stuck there...and that can be deemed as hostage taking.

There was no over-reacting here.

Spend the time..watch the clip...you will see....

atually....yes...

One has nothing to do with another.

These students were breaking the law. To make it more "imposing" they locked arms. They were asking for the police to use force and they did......non lethal....hack...no lasting affects whatsoever.

So yeah...Jill needs to get a grip.

both were a horrendous overreaction to lawful assembly, which, last time i checked, was still protected speech.

:thup:

Over reaction, Jillian is the best word to describe two irrational actions directed at each other. Sometimes emotions bring out the worst in ourselves.

there isn't anything irrational about peaceful protest. you can agree or disagree with what is being protested for or about. but the act of protest is not, in and of itself, irrational.

it is irrational for someone who has a little more authority than he can handle to douse said peaceful protesters in pepper spray... or to fire bullets at them... if people can't handle power, they shouldn't have any.

it's the mindset that i was referring to, wackos like the o/p would have said the same thing after kent state. you know it and i do.

You know.........while stationed at the Naval War College in Newport RI, one of my other duties was to be on Security Force. Know how you get someone who is sitting down to stand up and move? Stand behind them, put your fingertips under either side of their jaw and just pull up and out on both sides of the jawbone.

Guaranteed to get 'em up. Even a 140 lb lightweight like me could move a 200 lb person. No, there are much other, BETTER ways they could have handled the situation. Pepper spraying the students like they were plants that were getting watered is not the way.

both were a horrendous overreaction to lawful assembly, which, last time i checked, was still protected speech.

:thup:

Over reaction, Jillian is the best word to describe two irrational actions directed at each other. Sometimes emotions bring out the worst in ourselves.

there isn't anything irrational about peaceful protest. you can agree or disagree with what is being protested for or about. but the act of protest is not, in and of itself, irrational.

it is irrational for someone who has a little more authority than he can handle to douse said peaceful protesters in pepper spray... or to fire bullets at them... if people can't handle power, they shouldn't have any.

it's the mindset that i was referring to, wackos like the o/p would have said the same thing after kent state. you know it and i do.

the people that were pepper sprayed were not potesting as were the rest.

They admittedly were sitting there to prevent the arrest of others...they were demanding the release of those arrested.

Now...whether or not the other protesters warranted an arrest...I dont know. I did not see it happen.

But once an individual is arrested by an officer of the law, it is against the law to try to "release" the individual arrested.....

You need to spend the 15 minutes to watch the clip.

Whoever released the edited one did not mind people making asses of themselves when they defended the protesters......but when you see the cliup you will realize they were not OWS protesting...they were doing their best to interfere with the arrest of others.

You know.........while stationed at the Naval War College in Newport RI, one of my other duties was to be on Security Force. Know how you get someone who is sitting down to stand up and move? Stand behind them, put your fingertips under either side of their jaw and just pull up and out on both sides of the jawbone.

Guaranteed to get 'em up. Even a 140 lb lightweight like me could move a 200 lb person. No, there are much other, BETTER ways they could have handled the situation. Pepper spraying the students like they were plants that were getting watered is not the way.

So what would you have said if hte police physically moved them, with physical force, instead of trying to remove them with pepper spray.

Would you be ok with that?

Yes...that is one way as is using other pressure points.

But why do you neglect to mention the part of the "locked arms"....

For I know in your training you were taught the procedure for getting control of 2 or more people with their arms locked.

It involves a serious use of force and inflicting a great amount of pain...and it sometimes results in dislocated shoulders and elbows.....depending on the resistance.

Why did you use the jaw eample....you know it is not applicable when there are locked arms involved.

Please explain.

So what would you have said if hte police physically moved them, with physical force, instead of trying to remove them with pepper spray.

For I know in your training you were taught the procedure for getting control of 2 or more people with their arms locked.

It involves a serious use of force and inflicting a great amount of pain...and it sometimes results in dislocated shoulders and elbows.....depending on the resistance.

Why did you use the jaw eample....you know it is not applicable when there are locked arms involved.

Please explain.

It looks like Jarhead already posted my response to you if you had said yes to my question biker. ;)

Please explain.

It looks like Jarhead already posted my response to you if you had said yes to my question biker. ;)

you know...everyone always thinks they have the "better way"..

Like the boston police situation..

I wonder what people would be saying about the boston police if the officer did NOT ask for ID and instead accepted the guy saying "it is my house, I lost my key"...and then we found out that the professor was lying bleeding to death behind the door.

I bet they would be saying.."the police didnt demand ID? How stupid can they be?"

Please explain.

Arms locked or not, that move will get anyone to stand up and unlock arms.

And for the record, they should have used mild physical force before resorting to pepper spray.

The shooting at Kent state ended the protest movement.

The pepper spray at Davis was the beginning of the dismantling of occupy sites across the nation.

This might mean increased sympathy for the cause, but you would be wrong.

The shooting at Kent State intensified the protest movement.

Please explain.

And for the record, they should have used mild physical force before resorting to pepper spray.

Exccuse me?

Who the hell trained you?

Do you not know the power of locked armas and why it is futile and dangerous to use any type of "single person" procedure when trying to control two or more individuals with locked arms?

Are you aware that if two 100 pound children locked arms, one of those children will likely suffer a very painful injury if you had to use force to separate them?

I dont understand....were you an MP...or were you not trained for security detail and just assigned to it for a period of time.

You should know about the power and dangers of locked arms.....

yes... those dangerous students sitting on the ground with their arms linked.

you probably think the kids killed at kent state had it coming to them, too.

being full of hate and ignorance at the same time is a very dangerous combination. :cuckoo:

The kids at Kent State threw rocks and bottles at armed National Guardsmen. What did they THINK was going to happen?

A few of those killed were on their way to class. Get your facts straight. And, the Guardsmen were supposed to have blanks in their rifles.

being full of hate and ignorance at the same time is a very dangerous combination. :cuckoo:

I wouldn't say all of them had it coming, but after burning the ROTC building to the ground and violently attacking several uniformed ROTC members--one severely enough to be hospitalized in the ICU--hell yes they provoked and were violent.

Please explain.

Picture this....ten people with their arms locked.

You use your jaw move on one of them....but the one next to him doesnt release HIS arm......broken or dislocated shoulder of one or both is likely guaranteed.

And what "mild force" do you use with 10 people with their arms locked?

The kids at Kent State threw rocks and bottles at armed National Guardsmen. What did they THINK was going to happen?

A few of those killed were on their way to class. Get your facts straight. And, the Guardsmen were supposed to have blanks in their rifles.

The guardsmen should never have had their rifles to begin with.

Please explain.

Picture this....ten people with their arms locked.

You use your jaw move on one of them....but the one next to him doesnt release HIS arm......broken or dislocated shoulder of one or both is likely guaranteed.

And what "mild force" do you use with 10 people with their arms locked?

Interestingly enough, they were just blocking the sidewalk, why couldn't the police have driven AROUND them?

Moving-the-Goalposts.jpg

The guardsmen should never have had their rifles to begin with.

What the hell are you talking about? It is a fact that those peaceful (bullshit) protesters were throwing rocks and glass at armed National Guardsmen. It is a fact that the ROTC building was burned to the ground. It is a fact that ROTC members were violently attacked for days leading up to the justified shooting of violent protesters.

Do you have any idea how stupid it is to say they shouldn't have been armed? Yeah, neither should the police. They should be armed with clubs and silly hats like the Brits.

Perhaps they should have just gone in and clubbed a few in the head.

Forum List

Back