Good ol days

When I had my daughter in 1995, I wanted to be a stay at home mom. We were DIRT POOR, because my (ex) husband was starting his own business. Our social life consisted of taking the baby to my moms on Friday nights, and playing poker with her and my sister for change.

We had a tiny 2 bedroom apartment, but it was the best thing ever being able to stay with my daughter the first 14 months of her life, and not have to put her in daycare.

Then, when all the lying and cheating started and I left him, I had to get a job. Thank goodness teachers have summers off and holidays. It gives me the opportunity to spend as much time with my daughter while supporting us too.

We didn't even get the internet here until 2006, I couldn't afford it for one thing. As each year goes by I get a one percent raise (don't be jealous!) and have never received a dime of child support.

So do I wish I could have been a stay at home mom all her young years like my mom was? Yes, but things worked out well for the two of us I'd say, we don't have a lot of "stuff" but we are happy.

I know what you mean about the social life. Even if I wanted to dump them off and go out, which I don't, by the time I pay for the sitter I can't afford to do anything else. :lol:

As long as you have everything you really need, and a few of the things you want, you're doing just fine. :beer:

When I had my daughter in 1995, I wanted to be a stay at home mom. We were DIRT POOR, because my (ex) husband was starting his own business. Our social life consisted of taking the baby to my moms on Friday nights, and playing poker with her and my sister for change.

We had a tiny 2 bedroom apartment, but it was the best thing ever being able to stay with my daughter the first 14 months of her life, and not have to put her in daycare.

Then, when all the lying and cheating started and I left him, I had to get a job. Thank goodness teachers have summers off and holidays. It gives me the opportunity to spend as much time with my daughter while supporting us too.

We didn't even get the internet here until 2006, I couldn't afford it for one thing. As each year goes by I get a one percent raise (don't be jealous!) and have never received a dime of child support.

So do I wish I could have been a stay at home mom all her young years like my mom was? Yes, but things worked out well for the two of us I'd say, we don't have a lot of "stuff" but we are happy.

I know what you mean about the social life. Even if I wanted to dump them off and go out, which I don't, by the time I pay for the sitter I can't afford to do anything else. :lol:

As long as you have everything you really need, and a few of the things you want, you're doing just fine. :beer:

See, if you moved here like I keep asking you to do, Mini Echo can babysit the twins for free! ;)

I can relate here. back in the late 70's and 80's there was dramatic increase of women in the work force. many were forced to work because they were divorced and their dead beat X's paid no child support. add to it co's didn't pay women squat. which really galled me. they should been equally paid. many left those apartments and bought their own homes. so 1 pair of pants here does not fit all. plus a lot of single women were coming into the job force as well

I dated a lot of these gals knowing how strapped they were. I paid for their baby sitters.

See, if you moved here like I keep asking you to do, Mini Echo can babysit the twins for free! ;)

Indy would never be the same. :cool:

Moms work harder than anyone else. ;)

I was never a mom, but I was a single parent. I worked plenty hard.
I would say your statement was too generic.
Single parents work harder than anyone else.

Single dads get a ton of respect from me. Y'all don't just have to do everything single moms do, but you have the stereotypes to contend with too. Here's to single dads. :beer:

We have it harder than single moms.
Girls need feminine hygiene products. Name something comparable that single moms have to deal with. :eusa_whistle:

Single dads get a ton of respect from me. Y'all don't just have to do everything single moms do, but you have the stereotypes to contend with too. Here's to single dads. :beer:

Girls need feminine hygiene products. Name something comparable that single moms have to deal with. :eusa_whistle:

:rofl:
You got me there.

Spontaneous boners in 13 year old special needs kid. :eek:

I don't deny that rampant consumerism is one problem.

But if one looks at the cost of things that one must have, and compare those costs today to our incomes, and do the same compared to say, 40 years ago, there is absolutely no doubt that the cost of living the lives that even our parents enjoyed is climbing faster than our incomes generally.

For MOST of us, that is true.

Some of us, depending on our class and profession, are actually doing much better than those in same class and professions were doing two generations back.

Some of this development is just the nature effect that the world changes, of course.

OTOH, some of it is clearly the result of laws and policies that have changed over the years which end up rewarding some and punishing others.

I don't deny that rampant consumerism is one problem.

But if one looks at the cost of things that one must have, and compare those costs today to our incomes, and do the same compared to say, 40 years ago, there is absolutely no doubt that the cost of living the lives that even our parents enjoyed is climbing faster than our incomes generally.

For MOST of us, that is true.

Some of us, depending on our class and profession, are actually doing much better than those in same class and professions were doing two generations back.

Some of this development is just the nature effect that the world changes, of course.

OTOH, some of it is clearly the result of laws and policies that have changed over the years which end up rewarding some and punishing others.

I think this chart is informative and may bring some reality to the discussion.

Historical Income Tables - Families

I was going to post, but the chart #'s run together. Check it out. Contrary to claims about cost of housing, etc., money and salaries are going further than they used to. My parents in 1953 made under $5k. Their first home was $18,900 close to 4 times their salaries. Things haven't changed much for housing, but % of income for food/clothing has gone down, IF people chose not to eat out, buy $150 gym shoes, etc.

Your chart seems to show the VALUE of the $ going DOWN compared to inflation. That is that the harder we work the further behind we get. Now if you figure that the VAST majority of tax cuts went to the WEALTHIEST 1% then you have your answer for why the economy is tanked.

Forum List

Back