Good News.. road to the bridge to nowhere complete...

Jeepers

Feb 11, 2008
Charleston SC
Thanks for saving our tax dollars Palin...

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) -- Alaska may not have a "Bridge to Nowhere," but it now has a "Road to Nowhere."

This week, the state completed a $25 million gravel road that was intended to lead up to the bridge linking the city of Ketchikan to its airport on a neighboring island.

The bridge project became the symbol of federal largess, and Congress eventually dropped the earmark for the bridge.

The state still received the money, but last fall, Gov. Sarah Palin killed the project, valued at nearly $400 million.

Don't Miss
Did Palin support 'Bridge to Nowhere'?
Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein said the 3.2-mile road now is ideal for road races and hunting and possibly some commercial development. But with no bridge to serve it, that's probably about it.

The bridge has also become a focal point in the presidential race with Palin, now GOP presidential nominee John McCain's running mate, repeatedly telling crowds that she told Congress "thanks but no thanks" for that Bridge to Nowhere.

The state is considering cheaper designs for a bridge. State lawmakers made a brief attempt at securing funding for a bridge during this year's legislative session.

The two-bridge project would have connected the town's airport on Gravina Island to Revillagigedo Island, where most of the 13,000 residents of the Ketchikan Gateway Borough live.

The airport is separated from its users by a quarter-mile-wide channel of water, forcing travelers to catch either a ferry or a water taxi

Thanks for saving our tax dollars Palin...

Can you make up your mind just WHAT exactly the acusations are?

The "bridge to nowhere" appears to go somewhere, as well as the road leading up to it, and obviously, if you lived there, YOU would see a reason for it.

Your own article says Palin is the one that killed the project. So how does that fit in with all the mudslinging by the left that she wanted a bridge to nowhere?

Not that I'm trying to be logical or anything ....

I'm actually curious ... if she sent that money back to washington did the construction worker guys volunteer their time...

I for one still don't get what the fuss about this 'bridge' is. Even someone I know from Alaska is asking why everyone keep bringing it up and yet so few have ever posted any real facts on it.

because money is limited of the federal government, we are borrowing and paying an interest payment on our debt that equals what we are drawing in incometax revenues...$400 billion a year on the debt interest payment and about $600 billion a year in deficit spending, (additional borrowing). we only collect 1 trillion in income taxes each year sooooooooo giving Alaska $400 million in pork money for this bridge, of my tax money or your tax money should not happen unless it is a DIRE need....alaska runs a surplus, so we, the tax payers from other states, should NOT be adding this $400 million to our national debt.

There is a ferry that brings citizens to the airport already.

Mccain is very much against this kind of pork barrel spending, and has been for quite some time.

This $400 million could have been used by other states in dire need of Bridge repairs, such as minnesota, where they had that bridge collapse.

If we were running a surplus in the federal government, then maybe this kind of spending or funding would be acceptable, but since we are not then it is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE.

Alaska got $750,000,000 million in Earmarks(pork) that one year alone....and Alaska, due to Senator ted Stevens being on the appropriations committee, has taken from us, the federal tax payer, MORE PER PERSON in his state then any other state has taken in our country, in PORK money....while the state of alaska runs a surplus for goodness sakes...if that isn't an abuses of our funds, i don't know what it.

The reason this is an issue with Palin, is because she supported the PORK money from the federal government, until congress got involved and NIXED IT...then she did what was politically right for her own personal career and said she was against it as well.

it really is no big deal....what politicians do we really know that don't sway like palm trees in a wind?

What is the big deal is the way Mccain and Palin tell the story about the Earmark for the Bridge to nowhere....how they imply she was ALWAYS against it and never wanted to take our tax payers federal money to build it, and implies they didn't take our federal money for it....very deceitful, because Alaska DID TAKE THE $400 MILLION in Pork Money that was meant for the bridge, and just used it elsewhere in their own budget, so even though the bridge was killed, THE MONEY, OUR MONEY, WAS STILL TAKEN BY THEM....

And their little, "i said thanks but no thanks to the bridge to nowhere" is just a FARSE....because it wasn't the bridge that was at issue, it was TAKING OUR FEDERAL DOLLARS that was at issue...and as said, they STILL took our federal dollars and used it on pork barrel projects, only not the bridge...

Exactly Care4all.

Here in southeastern Virginia, which has 3 million people, we desperately need another bridge tunnel.

But oil rich, lightly populated, Alaska get millions for a road to nowhere.

Now that does explain it in a better light, thanks. I cannot support lies in any way, so unless something else points out a flaw in that I myself can see why it would be a big deal, now.

Now that does explain it in a better light, thanks. I cannot support lies in any way, so unless something else points out a flaw in that I myself can see why it would be a big deal, now.

they are not OUTRIGHT LIES, even though the impression left is a LIE.

She did FINALLY say, thanks but no thanks to the bridge, after she was originally for senator stevens getting alaska this money.

It's the story that is NOT TOLD, by mccain and her "i said, thanks but nothanks, to the bridge to nowhere", which is the fact that she WAS FOR IT until it became a political hazzard for her to continue to support it, and that she took the Federal (pork)money that was originally alotted for it ANYWAY...so Alaska STILL got OUR MONEY....

so, technically, if one really wants to view it that wasy, she did not technically lie.

I wonder if she paid the Unions for their work, or hired illegals for $5.00 an hour to complete the work?:eusa_whistle:

oh you sound smart,,,, maybe you can tell me,,,,,,,,, why didn't Nancy Pelosi give the American Samoans a minimum wage hike???

That is because Republicans are against giving any minimum wage hikes. period.:eusa_whistle:

but Nancy is our hero, she battles those evil Republicans ,, she gave everybody a minimum wage hike, Nancy to the rescue, everybody that is except her worker, the American Samoans.. Why is that??? doya think?

The 'Road to Nowhere' actually leads to a short ferry boat ride to the island. Ketchikan, is Alaska's entry port for cruise ships that bring more than 1 million visitors yearly.

well, why didn't she give the American Samoans a minimum wage hike???

Really? Your at it with this again? Why do you have to bring up American Samoans in every thread, even when it has no place? OK, Pelosi is evil because she failed to look after American Samoans. You happy now? Can you stop bringing it up? Geez...

Really? Your at it with this again? Why do you have to bring up American Samoans in every thread, even when it has no place? OK, Pelosi is evil because she failed to look after American Samoans. You happy now? Can you stop bringing it up? Geez...
no, it more the REASON she didnt
it was for a business in her district

no, it more the REASON she didnt
it was for a business in her district

And that is fine. That is pretty messed up, but there is still no reason to bring it up in every thread even when it has nothing to do with the topic. Especially since this is the first time anyone has actually been able to answer the question. People that make politicians out to be saints are bound to be disappointed.

Forum List

Back