Good News of the Day! Phelps/Westoboro Baptist Found Guilty

Worse than an absolutist, I'm a lawyer. Now THAT is controversial. Anyway, I was giving a legal spin, not so much a personal one, though personally I support more free speech, not less. And I find that Jewish judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg's delcared distinction between "free speech" and "hate speech" to be very, very, very dangerous. In other words, "hate speech" is what she doesn't like, "free speech" is what she does. Bad, very bad.

In response to your question, all these things are likely protected, though the Supreme Court has set up "time, place and manner" restrictions on speech. So, one foot from the door of an abortion clinic might be restricted to 100 feet, same for entering a church, same for 2 a.m yelling in Harlem (too loud, wakes people up).

“Time, Place, and Manner” That sounds good. Practically all things should be considered in moderation. There are few absolutes. Very few things are black-and-white. It all comes down to where we feel that we should draw the line.

it's easy to disregard free speech when you don't like the message. Remember that when you are bitching about protest zones.

this was hardly a victory. Phelps isn't going to just disappear now.

near-sighted people, I tellya.

“Time, Place, and Manner” That sounds good. Practically all things should be considered in moderation. There are few absolutes. Very few things are black-and-white. It all comes down to where we feel that we should draw the line.

You miss the part of his comment that referred to the "jewish judge"?

Or is that ok?

Someone should really remind him, though that, as a lawyer, he should know that Ruth doesn't decide anything on her own. She's only one of nine.

But whatever....

You miss the part of his comment that referred to the "jewish judge"?

Or is that ok?

Someone should really remind him, though that, as a lawyer, he should know that Ruth doesn't decide anything on her own. She's only one of nine.

But whatever....

Point taken.

Point taken.

Gotta watch him. He's intelligent so you might forget what a venal piece of work he is.

But nothing he says should be given serious consideratoin without calling him on the racism explicit in each one. At least that's my opinion. I can't tell anyone else what to do. I just know what I think is right.

Gotta watch him. He's intelligent so you might forget what a venal piece of work he is.

But nothing he says should be given serious consideratoin without calling him on the racism explicit in each one. At least that's my opinion. I can't tell anyone else what to do. I just know what I think is right.

Oh I get it.... you're an advocate of that college class that teaches only white people can be racist.

I would go as far as to say WJ is "pro white," but that's a far cry from "racist." However I do realize racist is one of you liberals favorite buzz words, right up there with bigot and homophobe.

The First amendment has never protected people so as to allow them to invade privacy and intentionally cause emotional distress. (Nor a number of other things, but these are the two main issues in the case).

Quite honestly, if the court ruled any other way it would set a precedent that totally destroyed the need for torts of invasion of privacy and emotional distress.

The First amendment has never protected people so as to allow them to invade privacy and intentionally cause emotional distress. (Nor a number of other things, but these are the two main issues in the case).

Quite honestly, if the court ruled any other way it would set a precedent that totally destroyed the need for torts of invasion of privacy and emotional distress.

HOLD ON THERE!

First, the cause of action for "emotional distress" is as young as yesterday in the law. In fact, the law HATED IT, DOES HATE IT and probably WILL HATE IT. I can guarantee you it does not show up in Blackstone. Any lawyer will tell you that it's hard to make out a case based on that. Free speech has an older and sturdier pedigree. I am sure that if you polled Madison & Co. on which value was more important - free speech or freedom from hurt feelings - they'd laugh and ask what land you come from.

The fact is that true free speech is pretty much tied to emotional distress. If the target isn't feeling any, you're not really saying much, are you? "The weather sure is nice today" needs no protection. "You are an incompetent mayor and the biggest fool ever to hold power in this state" DOES need protection.

Ditto "invasion of privacy," another dubious tort that isn't actually hurt by free speech.

Yet another example of a society that's gone soft. Phelps is a nutter, and if I were that dad, I'd probably want to put a bullet in his head. But he may have a point about the death-causing consequences of decadence. Our nation had hardier beginnings. Now we eat cheez whiz and cry like babies whenever some "offends" us. What a joke.

And I find that Jewish judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg's delcared distinction between "free speech" and "hate speech" to be very, very, very dangerous. In other words, "hate speech" is what she doesn't like, "free speech" is what she does. Bad, very bad.

And her religion has what to do with this argument?

HOLD ON THERE!

First, the cause of action for "emotional distress" is as young as yesterday in the law. In fact, the law HATED IT, DOES HATE IT and probably WILL HATE IT. I can guarantee you it does not show up in Blackstone. Any lawyer will tell you that it's hard to make out a case based on that. Free speech has an older and sturdier pedigree. I am sure that if you polled Madison & Co. on which value was more important - free speech or freedom from hurt feelings - they'd laugh and ask what land you come from.

The fact is that true free speech is pretty much tied to emotional distress. If the target isn't feeling any, you're not really saying much, are you? "The weather sure is nice today" needs no protection. "You are an incompetent mayor and the biggest fool ever to hold power in this state" DOES need protection.

Ditto "invasion of privacy," another dubious tort that isn't actually hurt by free speech.

Yet another example of a society that's gone soft. Phelps is a nutter, and if I were that dad, I'd probably want to put a bullet in his head. But he may have a point about the death-causing consequences of decadence. Our nation had hardier beginnings. Now we eat cheez whiz and cry like babies whenever some "offends" us. What a joke.

As discussed in other threads, it is understood that there are, or should be, limits to the 1st amendment. The debate comes down to where to draw the line.

...which is an easy position to claim when handing out the limitations....

however, the nanosecond you feel personally limited...

...which is an easy position to claim when handing out the limitations....

however, the nanosecond you feel personally limited...

Yep. It is a balancing act between the concern of the society and the individual. When people think that too much freedom is being given up for the sake of safety, the pendulum will swing the other way. People will elect representative who will vote for less gun control.

oh.. you mean like how mccarthy could rationalize witch hunting commies?

gotcha.

:eusa_doh:

..and I guess yours is the lighthouse by which we get to navigate that grey area too, right?

*yawn*

:thup:

exactly.

thats why you can start a grass root effort to repeal the second amendment if you don't like it.

until then....

Forum List

Back