Good News of the Day! Phelps/Westoboro Baptist Found Guilty

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
The award surpasses their assets, good deal!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-westboro1031,0,4193323,print.story?coll=bal_tab01_layout

Father of slain Marine wins case against funeral protesters
Pa. man awarded nearly $11 million in compensatory and punitive damages

By Matthew Dolan

Sun reporter

5:54 PM EDT, October 31, 2007

The brokenhearted father of a Marine killed in Iraq won a long-shot legal fight today after a federal jury in Baltimore awarded him nearly $11 million in a verdict against members of a Kansas church who hoisted anti-gay placards at his son's Westminster funeral.

The jury's announcement 24 hours after deliberations first began was met with tears and hugs from the family and supporters of Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, whose March 2006 funeral was protested by members of the Westboro Baptist Church with signs including "Thank God for dead soldiers."

Snyder's father, Albert, won on every count of his complaint, as well as $2.9 million for compensatory damages and $8 million for punitive damages.

Over the past week, the civil trial in U.S. District Court in Baltimore turned into a constitutional debate over how far the First Amendment should extend to protect the most extreme forms of expression. The groundbreaking verdict is believed to be the first time the fundamental Christian church from Topeka that is composed mainly of family members has been successfully sued for its shock funeral protests.

One legal expert worried that the initial size of the compensatory judgment, which was awarded first, could be a setback for those who believe in broad free-speech protections.

"The award -- $2.9 million -- is an awful lot of money for compensatory damages," University of Maryland law professor Mark Graber said today. "This was in a public space. While the actions are reprehensible, the First Amendment protects a lot that's reprehensible."

U.S. District Judge Richard D. Bennett, who had sealed the church's financial documents, said from the bench that the compensatory damage award would already eclipse Westboro's assets...

Yeah! This won’t put a damper on free speech. People are still free to speak on sidewalks and meeting rooms. They can even hold marches. They can buy radio and TV time. They can buy ads in newspapers. They can even create their own flyers. Yet, to hoot and holler and wave offensive pickets at a private funeral is just asking too much. I’d say the same about abortion clinic protestors. People can disagree without being so disagreeable.

:clap2: :thup: :clap2: :thup: :D :D

Will never survive appeal.

If free speech means anything, it must mean protection for speech that isn't liked. Otherwise, it's meaningless. If you don't like Fred Phelps, protest HIM.

If free speech means anything, it must mean protection for speech that isn't liked. Otherwise, it's meaningless. If you don't like Fred Phelps, protest HIM.

Or shoot him...

...wait, did I say that?!?

"I am a Vengeful God" -God
(Something Fred would understand at least...)

Yeah! This won’t put a damper on free speech. People are still free to speak on sidewalks and meeting rooms. They can even hold marches. They can buy radio and TV time. They can buy ads in newspapers. They can even create their own flyers. Yet, to hoot and holler and wave offensive pickets at a private funeral is just asking too much. I’d say the same about abortion clinic protestors. People can disagree without being so disagreeable.

:clap2: :thup: :clap2: :thup: :D :D

I agree. That these hatemongers call themselves Christians annoys the hell out of me.

I do not believe there is an appeal process. I think all they can do is fight the award. I was very glad when I read this, even copied it to post here before I found it already posted.

These people are idiots. I do not like using courts to punish people on matters like this ( financially I mean) and I suspect the award is hardly in tune with the first amendment. BUT damn these people deserve what they got.

Where are all the Liberals to defend the loss of rights brought about by the evil Bush Regime?

oh...it'll be reduced on appeal. But there is no right to freedom of speech at a private funeral, even if he is your kind of hatemonger. He's free to go protest in Crawford, however.

You seem like an “absolutist” so let me test your resolve when it comes to free speech. I’m allowed to scream at the top of my lungs 1 foot from the front door, at women as they enter clinics that, among other things, provide abortions. Yes-or-no? Atheists are allowed to parade in front of churches while carrying offensive signs and shout curse words while people enter the church. I’m allowed to go down a dark alley in Harlem, New York at 2 o’clock in the morning screaming “God Hates *******” with a bullhorn and not get arrested. I am speaking, aren’t I? Isn’t there a law against disturbing the peace or inciting a riot?

You seem like an “absolutist” so let me test your resolve when it comes to free speech. I’m allowed to scream at the top of my lungs 1 foot from the front door, at women as they enter clinics that, among other things, provide abortions. Yes-or-no? Atheists are allowed to parade in front of churches while carrying offensive signs and shout curse words while people enter the church. I’m allowed to go down a dark alley in Harlem, New York at 2 o’clock in the morning screaming “God Hates *******” with a bullhorn and not get arrested. I am speaking, aren’t I? Isn’t there a law against disturbing the peace or inciting a riot?

The first amendment applies to the government's obligation not to interfere with freedom of speech. If you do it on my property or at a private family function, you're tresspassing.

Free speech can be and is pushed too far. Your rights end where mine begin. Or do you think your rights are more important than mine?

You'd probably get killed doing that in Harlem. Haven't you ever seen Die Hard With a Vengeance?

The first amendment applies to the government's obligation not to interfere with freedom of speech. If you do it on my property or at a private family function, you're tresspassing.

Okay. So as long as I shout from a public sidewalk in front of a church, abortion clinic, or downtown Harlem square there is no legal problem. Thanks.

Okay. So as long as I shout from a public sidewalk in front of a church, abortion clinic, or downtown Harlem square there is no legal problem. Thanks.

I'm sorry. Where did I say that? Your argument about incitement was simply irrelevant to the issue of the loonies at the funerals, IMO.

And if you want to get your butt kicked for saying something stupid someplace you shouldn't say it, well, more power to ya.

I'm sorry. Where did I say that? Your argument about incitement was simply irrelevant to the issue of the loonies at the funerals, IMO.

And if you want to get your butt kicked for saying something stupid someplace you shouldn't say it, well, more power to ya.

Where do taunting on a sidewalk (free speech) end and harassment, creating a public disturbance, disorderly conduct, and inciting a riot begin?

Where do taunting on a sidewalk (free speech) end and harassment, creating a public disturbance, disorderly conduct, and inciting a riot begin?

First of all, the fighting words doctrine has been severly limited.

The court has continued to uphold the doctrine but also steadily narrowed the grounds on which fighting words are held to apply. In Street v. New York (1969)[1], the court overturned a statute prohibiting flag-burning and verbally abusing the flag, holding that mere offensiveness does not qualify as "fighting words". Similarly, in Cohen v. California (1971), the fact that Cohen had been arrested for wearing a jacket that said "fuck the draft" did not constitute uttering fighting words since there had been no "personally abusive epithets."

In R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul (1992), the court overturned a statute prohibiting cross-burning on the grounds that the specific statute was overbroad; ie., that it risked proscribing lawful conduct. The Court, however, made it repeatedly clear that the City could have pursued "any number" of other avenues, and reaffirmed the notion that "fighting words" could be properly regulated by municipal or state governments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

Second and, again, you seem to be missing the point. This wasn't IN PUBLIC.. .it was at a private funeral.

Worse than an absolutist, I'm a lawyer. Now THAT is controversial. Anyway, I was giving a legal spin, not so much a personal one, though personally I support more free speech, not less. And I find that Jewish judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg's delcared distinction between "free speech" and "hate speech" to be very, very, very dangerous. In other words, "hate speech" is what she doesn't like, "free speech" is what she does. Bad, very bad.

In response to your question, all these things are likely protected, though the Supreme Court has set up "time, place and manner" restrictions on speech. So, one foot from the door of an abortion clinic might be restricted to 100 feet, same for entering a church, same for 2 a.m yelling in Harlem (too loud, wakes people up).

Forum List

Back