Good News: Here's Comes the A-10 Warthog on Steroids (New Weapons and More)

There's nothing else in the air that can do the job the Warthog does. Makes sense to keep 'em flying.

I used to go to the Myrtle Beach air base commissary and I would always go to a lookout point and watch the Warthogs. I thought closing the base and shelving the A-10s was a big mistake and I'm glad they're back. I grew up with the A1E Skyraider and if you saw them at work it was a treat. They flew down in the weeds and bushes and carried more ordnance than a B-17 bomber. williepete can attest to that.

There's nothing else in the air that can do the job the Warthog does. Makes sense to keep 'em flying.

I think they said there are only 210 in the inventory,,that just doesnt sound like enough,,,

When I was stationed at Eielson AFB, AK, I'd go out to the Blair Lakes Bombing Range to operate and maintain the power plant for a week at a time. If I was lucky, the A-10s would practice strafing. Depending on how far out the pilot pulled the trigger, you'd hear the passage of the 30mm rounds, then the sound of the impacts on the target, THEN the BRRRRT from the cannon itself.

It was damned awesome.

I used to go to the Myrtle Beach air base commissary and I would always go to a lookout point and watch the Warthogs. I thought closing the base and shelving the A-10s was a big mistake and I'm glad they're back. I grew up with the A1E Skyraider and if you saw them at work it was a treat. They flew down in the weeds and bushes and carried more ordnance than a B-17 bomber. williepete can attest to that.
The Skyraider was a tank. I wouldn't mind seeing new ones built. They could loiter for hours and screw up bad guys.

I think they said there are only 210 in the inventory,,that just doesnt sound like enough,,,

When I was stationed at Eielson AFB, AK, I'd go out to the Blair Lakes Bombing Range to operate and maintain the power plant for a week at a time. If I was lucky, the A-10s would practice strafing. Depending on how far out the pilot pulled the trigger, you'd hear the passage of the 30mm rounds, then the sound of the impacts on the target, THEN the BRRRRT from the cannon itself.

It was damned awesome.

I worked building and repairing docks at lake of the ozarks and the guy I worked with was delivering a big dock with a 50' barge in the middle of winter one time and a cpl A-10s out of whiteman were doing their thing and decided to do a few aimed pass's at him,,

he said it was freaky because he was the only guy on the lake and snow covered everything,
he said he could see them in the distance lining up but really couldnt hear them until they got close and after they passed and turned up it was super loud and crazy,,he figures they were less than 200 ft up,
that would have been super cool,,

It was damned awesome.

I worked building and repairing docks at lake of the ozarks and the guy I worked with was delivering a big dock with a 50' barge in the middle of winter one time and a cpl A-10s out of whiteman were doing their thing and decided to do a few aimed pass's at him,,

he said it was freaky because he was the only guy on the lake and snow covered everything,
he said he could see them in the distance lining up but really couldnt hear them until they got close and after they passed and turned up it was super loud and crazy,,he figures they were less than 200 ft up,
that would have been super cool,,

Yeah, it would!

When I was stationed at Eielson AFB, AK, I'd go out to the Blair Lakes Bombing Range to operate and maintain the power plant for a week at a time.

What year? 1995 perhaps?

I think they said there are only 210 in the inventory,,that just doesnt sound like enough

A lot can be done with 200'ish. In the 90's we'd run exercises where we would keep them running from dawn t'ill dusk--hot refueling, hot arming and swapping out pilots. They'd run until something broke. That's a lot of sorties.

I wonder if it will get SDB2 as well? That would be like having four mavericks on one pylon.

Awesome plane, awesome footage.

I remember circa 1997 I was out hiking in the Nevada desert all by my lonesome not a soul or living thing around when all of a sudden a group of A-10 s did a practice run on a spot about 200 ft. from where I was....they didn't use any ordnance...just zoomed down out of the sky ...I never saw them coming..did their dive and zoomed away....quite impressive.

If they saw me they probably had a good laugh realizing how shocked I was.

I talked about it for days. hehheh

Forum List

Back